Need help with small prop

bulletbob

1996 Evinrude 2 HP.. Pretty simple right?... Totally and completely unavailable prop... They are obsolete, not available from  OMC, and are not made aftermarket, and I tried every prop shop I could find on the net as well as every used outboard parts dealer... Basically they all told me to junk an otherwise perfect, lightly used little motor.. Its  a polypropylene  plastic prop, and not repairable.. Backed the damn prop into a stump, and broke a blade off.

I might be able to adapt some other 2 or 3 blade little prop from another brand if I can match up shaft size, or possible adapt a prop from an electric trolling motor in some way... What I need is a dealer, or  just local guy with a pile of small outboards, and piles of parts/ props etc...

i would gladly pay a fair price if we can match something up...   the motor is used as a backup on my stout little Grumman 4.4 side console with 30 HP Johnson...  It moves the boat only 5-6 knots  , but if the main OB craps out, its 5,000 times better than rowing 5 miles back to the ramp... Anyone out there that might be able to help out, or know someone with a pile of small old OB parts and pieces?... If not I can only sell it as a  parts motor for $75 or something and buy another tiny little kicker thats not "obsolete".. NOT a fan of OMC since Bombardier bought them.... bob

Three suggestions for you, Laings Outboards North Tonawanda NY, Parma Marine, Parma Ohio, (long time OMC dealer) and MarineEngine.com

I have had success getting obsolete parts through all of them for Evinrude and Johnson.   

6 hours ago, zipperboot said:

Try merc prop it works  

Merc 2  HP prop??.... anyway, to all  that responded, my thanks...I did locate one on my own , a  NOS one at a very fair price.. $30 + 16$ shipping out on Long Island.. However the parts guy doesn't seem all that interested, saying he  is very busy, doesn't have time to dig it out   of "the boxes upstairs" etc.. I hate to keep calling, gonna try once more...  I also located 2 others, but one was $138+, and the other was $125+ over 4 times the dealer  price  at the time the  part was discontinued... I hate that crap... In any case, I think I have  enough info... If I can't find a prop, I'll sell the motor as a parts unit for whatever I can get, and buy another tiny motor that still has parts availability... bob

• 1 month later...

Just an update.. Called all over the US, called locally in NY to boat  and marine parts shops, .. I located 3... 2 were in the possession of price gouging SOB's.. They wanted $150  for a  $30  plastic prop.. A third said they have it and would sell it at the correct price  $30.. After 2 months and 8 calls, to them, they said they no longer had it.. Totally disgusted, I took a shot and decided to try a generic multi brand  aluminum prop  that had good pics from lots of angles on amazon.. Cost a whopping $15,, SHIPPED!,,, Perfect fit... Seems a lot of modern very small 2/3/4 hp  outboards are using the same props  shaft designs,,,  The "help" I got from dealers was pretty bad, I suppose because it wasn't an expensive part.. My experiences with local marine dealers continues to be terrible, and I do better doing my own research, even though   its badly  flawed.... bob