It happened again

Seen the rod bouncing in the downrigger rod holder. I figured I had a Shaker and try to pop the rod. It would not go so I knew exactly what was wrong. Brought the ringer up and found the line all tangled around the cable with the fish trailing behind . I have mag 10 STX I let them down 15 to 20 ft at a time and stop for the line to catch up and this still happened. Any ideas or tips. I'm not sure exactly what is happening but this will be the third time

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Snap a picture of your rigger set up with the shark attached. Maybe we can see something that way.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I can't right now. It's just a cannon Terminator to a blacks release to a snubber then the Shark weight . If it's the probe rigger it goes Cannon Terminator to a blacks release to the probe and then on the bottom of the probe is a snubber and a shark weight

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It happens. It is gonna happen again. Heavy weights and high speed riggers. Add some current in there and some days are worse than others. Sharks tend to spin a bit on the drop so that is where the problem begins.

Which is why I use pinch pad releases that are hooked on to the weight. 

Offshore, Scotty or Cannon .  

The pull of the line keeps the weight from spinning on the way down . 

I also believe it help to keep the weight from swinging back and forth down there and tracks straighter .

I use to use blacks,and that would happen occasionally so I switched. 

But if the black has a,bearing above , such as a metal bead , the weight can spin and the black  should not . 

Roemers do the same thing even worse as they clamp on the line . 

Hasn't happened again in 20 + years . 

Edited by HB2

I also believe it help to keep the weight from swinging back and forth down there and tracks straighter .

But if the black has a,bearing above , such as a metal bead , the weight can spin and the black  should not . 

Always lower the weight using the clicker on the reel to keep the line straight.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I use walker releases this never happens to them because they free spin on the swivels they are built on. I have been on other boats with blacks and have seen this happen. The trick to keeping it from happening is keeping the line from your rod to the release tight , most of the time it happened in the first few feet before there is tension on everything ..so make sure you start right out with the line from your rod to release tight so it keeps the release facing the right direction even if the ball tries to spin. Also if you have ball retrievers when you let the ball back out away from the boat that can make them spin. Again just make sure the line from the rod to the release is tight I keep mine so the rod is bent almost like it's set in the rigger then as I let it down u keep tension on it all the way down.

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Been using Roemers for years without any problems like the adjustability and the fact you can stack them

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Try letting them down carefully with the clutch without abrupt stops (and not the down switch) and see if the problem goes away. It could be them going down too fast and the start and stopping