Electronics

srd

Do you gentleman link your electronics all together (gps,fishfinder,dsc radio,and auto pilot)? Or do you just link gps to auto pilot and be done with it? Thanks for any or all information.

Stan.

Stan,

I have the gps linked to the auto pilot and the radar. It comes in handy since my waypoints show up on the radar, and steer to via autopilot. My fishfinder is compatatible with the gps antenna,so if I need it, I would just move one plug over. I am using nmea 01083 connections to avoid buying all those extra connecters (NMEA2000). It all works fine. Some electronics have to have "sentences" turned on so they will "talk" to each other. Check you manual. It can take some time, depending on what equipment you have. As far as the radio goes I don't have that option now, but it sounds like a great safety device and will have with next upgrade.

I always say, If you have it, why not have it in working order.

Thanks holy mackerel. I wasn't sure which route to take. I think I'll take the long route and tie everything together. Thanks again.

Stan.

I have my radio linked to my GPS. The newer radios, or at least mine, has a red button that calls the coast guard in an emergency when pushed. I am under the impression that this is how the radio gets a location for the vessel. Its a very simple hook up. No autopilot on my boat so I don't have any other hook ups.

I didn't know that you should connect the radio and plotter....Interesting! I am going to have to look Into that. I have an Auto Pilot ordered from Kevin Jerge and I will tie that Into the chartplotter (both Raymarine), but that's all I planned on doing. Is there any real advantage of connecting the radar to the plotter, given the fact that my radar Is Furuno and Gps Is Raymarine ?

I have my radio linked to my GPS. The newer radios, or at least mine, has a red button that calls the coast guard in an emergency when pushed. I am under the impression that this is how the radio gets a location for the vessel. Its a very simple hook up. No autopilot on my boat so I don't have any other hook ups.

Rich,

It is my understanding that the Coast Guard doesn't have DSC response capability in the Great Lakes at this time, but the alert will also go out to all other DSC equipped radios in range, so someone else might respond to the distress call.

If nothing else people with DSC radios can do direct private calling to other DSC radio owners if you have their MMSI number programed into your unit.

Tim

Fishtails,

I have a Furuno radar connected to a Lowrance Gps and a Simrad autpilot. I comes in handy in the fog and darkness when I have a course set it shows on the radar screen and I can watch for other boats while under way. You can also see if there is another boat on your waypoint under the same conditions.

I have also used it to get on a school of fish simply by watching some one run to the back of their boat.Just curser the radar to the blip, go to cursur, auto.

It's worth hooking up 2 wires.

Dave

Thanks Tim! Well that sucks. However This feature also allows you to see where ur buddys are on the GOS without giving away numbers, if this is what your talking about Tim.

No, I believe you can do that as well, but what I was talking about is it is my understanding is that if you have your buddies MMSI number recorded in your Radio, you can use the radio to do a direct station to station call without it being broadcast over the public airwaves.

Tim