Motor wouldn't keep running this morning

garrymny

Went to Buffalo Harbor Saturday. I got gas that morning. Motor started but would only run a few minutes and quit. It would only start when choked. I did this about 6 to 10 times then gave up and brought it home. Pulled plugs, all six looked good, but all were wet. Reinstalled, and tried it, and Motor started and ran very rough with lots of smoke, more than I've ever seen. Eventually the smoke cleared. Retried a few times and it starts right up now. Any ideas on what would cause this? Evinrude E175ENC. has the VRO with oil mix tank. This is a 1992 Motor. Bought this boat 4 years ago and this Motor has started and ran flawlessly every time. I always use REC 90 gas. I'm taking it out on lake this morning to try it again.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 2

UPDATE: Motor started and ran flawlessly down the Niagara River and back for 16 miles round trip. So, I have no idea what was causing the starting/rich issue. But, I may have other problems. Motor was making clacking sound I've never heard before (or am I being paranoid now?) . Concerned because when I changed the lower gear oil a few trips ago, there were metal slivers on the magnets, and the oil was milky. So, I'll drain it and check this today.  Not what I need. Looks complicated. Nothing coming from prop area, so if its leaking its an internal seal driveshaft maybe...UGH! 

Fuel lines usually easy to deal with and so often the issue.
If you fuel hoses are at all old I would certainly replacing the hoses and fuel filters, if filter is disposable crack it open and see if anything was in there.
If you don't have a fuel water separator I would install one as well and drain and it monthly. It's like the first line of defense for crud and also helps save your motor from getting any water in.

Not sure if your issue has anything to do with the VRO not working but I just converted mine from oil injected to premix as a protective measure after reading in a few places that they can fail and screw your motor. It literally costed me some time and $10 to convert it. Was Kind of fun to do actually.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

thanks for the input. I replaced the fuel lines when I got the rig about 3 years ago. I do need to replace the fuel filter separator can though.  new 3 years ago, and never did anything with it. I'll keep the conversion as an option. The VRO has worked well......until the other day, if that was it. Those VRO pumps are $450 for the OEM.  I just ordered a brand new lower unit. I was told some slivers on the magnets are normal. I think mine has a little more than normal, and the oil has water in it. Rather than try a seal kit, and tear down/inspection, I opted for a new unit for $895 and 3 year warranty from Mariners Warehouse, florida. 

There you go. Pulling out the VRO and going to premix is a very cheap fix and you end up with fewer parts that can fail in the future.
I did my reading on the scream and fly blog... I think those guys are in the racing business and know their $#it. I doubt there are any issues if you follow the right steps to change it over.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I have had many years experience with 2 stroke outboards and snowmobiles with oil injection and never have had a issue.  IMO going to premix has it own issues.  In a racing situation the fuel usage is likely much less than someone using a boat to fish with several times a week.  Proper premix is done in a separate container then into tank.  Just dropping oil into tank then adding fuel from a pump doesn’t mean it will mix properly.  Also most systems are variable where premix is fixed based on your ratio.  Much more convenient to pump fuel then add oil into a separate tank.  Prior to oil injection it was very common for snow sleds to burn down from oil issues and poor premix.  In racing with specific fuels and fuel ratio then premix works.  In a consumer world using pump fuel/ non ethanol, I’d stay with an injection system.

Motor is running good now. I found a broken clamp on the fuel line, so I don't know if it was getting air, and if that caused anything or not. Boat hasa 90 gal tank, and I have it piped to both the 175HP, and the 9.8 kicker (which is a 4 stroke). With the VRO I am very happy that I just have an oil tank for the big 175 2 stroke, and no oil/fuel mixing. I suppose at some point the VRO will be unavailable and the decision will be made for me.