Need good Motor Technician ASAP- lower unit!

garrymny

Ok, my lower unit is making metal. Oil is milky. Can anyone recommend a good Marine Engine Mechanic that can get me back in service ASAP? I don't think I want to tackle this myself unless I have to. Site won't allow me to post pictures. Evinrude 1992 model EX175ENC. HELP!. I will tow boat to your facility, or you can come here, but it has to stay on the transom. Garry. 716 481 9875. Please Call me.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks guys. L&M contacted me and said he could tear down and replace the seals and see what if anything is bad. Which was good to know that he can do that.  I was told some slivers on the magnets are normal. I think mine has a little more than normal, and the oil has water in it. Rather than try a seal kit, and tear down/inspection, I opted for a new unit for $895 and 3 year warranty from Mariners Warehouse, florida.  It was one of those decisions you know, tear don, and overhaul, or new unit I can bolt on (hopefully) myself.  

er umm you may have just replaced a perfectly good lower unit... If you just found some metal flakes on the magnet, and had water in  the oil, it might just have been a simple seal leak or even a cracked gasket on the filler or drain plug.. If the lower unit was quiet, with no grinding , howling noises, and shifted ok, it was probably just a bad seal. The magnets will always have some metal particles on them.. They are doing what they were designed to do. Your money of course, and your choice, but really why spend 4 times what you have to... It should have been looked at before being condemned as "bad"... Oil seals are a regular maintenance item, that will develop leaks from time . Simple fix for a marine mechanic.....

• Like 1

If you can afford it  i would get the replacement depending on how many hours are on your current unit. $900 is a small price to pay, $300 per year, to know it wont' be your headache. If you pay someone to reseal the unit and he missed a failing bearing or gear  you may have to pay the same amount and more to replace defective or worn parts.  In the end the remaned unit with a warranty would serve you better. I went down that path and it was more expensive than replacing it with a remanufactured or new unit. You can search my posts and see what i went through. You could also replace the oils and save up for the replacement or even repm=ace the oil after several trips till the end of the season then get a manual and tear it down yourself. Seal kits are cheap. its the time and experience you are paying for. I have the same thing on an out drive i bought used this season where the oil is milky but can't seem to find the point where the water enters the unit. The upper and lower units are joined and share the oil however there is no oil leaking on my driveway while it is out of the water. For Now i just change the oil after 2 days out on the water  and will deal with it over the winter downtime.

Thanks for all the advice! I ordered a new SEI manufactured unit. But, I also wanted to know if mine was really bad. So I tore it down and found one broken pinion gear tooth, a rounded of forward gear tooth, and a rounded off reverse gear tooth. So, I think the best bet is the $895 SEI unit, and I did buy their Driveshaft so I can just snap it into the lower unit. Should be here Friday.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

good choice. their support is great also. i boight a OMC to Alpha conversion before i realized i needed a transom replacement. i had an Alpha1 gen1 drive but didn't read the requirements. the conversion was foe the Gen 2 drive sadly if i had known i had all i needed to put the gen 1 drive in instead purchased a used gen 2 drive. works good but have water in system like you have. I will fix it after striper Fall season. My OMC drive had a noise in drive. I decided to check it while i was having my new 4.3L motor built. Still working through fuel issues but the boat is great now