Trouble landing with copper

Set your drag like you would for wire dipsy. If you are using big paddles, expect to loose fish from all the counterweight drag from the paddle and thick wire. Keep the connection to the fish with consistent pressure. When you sense the fish is heading for the surface, reel like mad to maintain tension with the rod high to prevent the paddle from whiplashing the hook free as the paddle clears the water. 

• Like 1

So I fish the finger lakes. I never put on a paddle spin doctor ect... just a spoon.Do you think it’s more of a slack line problem vs a low stretch it’s ripping out problem? Thanks for the input[emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

In that case, you probably have some light biters that have an increased chance of coming off due to length of time to reel all that wire up. I use the 50 size Saltist reels that are high speed.

One thing that happens with the long wire is that fish take a run for the boat, and it's hard to feel that .... so the line slacks.  Fish off.

The only thing I know to do is to keep that rod as high up in the air as possible ... and having a long rod for the copper helps for that ... then you just have to be able to react fast enough to keep that slack off.

Also, did you notice the fish jumping out of the water (likely then to be a rainbow) ... that makes it really challenging to keep the fish on.

Most are lakers right now. I usually have been letting out my 400. It’s definitely one of the top producing rods. Just like for every 5 hook ups I’m losing 3. I was just wondering with it being there is no stretch in the copper also I use fluorocarbon leader. But if you guys think it’s a slack line issue then I will definitely try to keep that in mind and keep the tension. Thanks again guys for the input!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Matt you didn't mention whether you are running it off boards or down the chute. Sometimes boards can create slack too. Try setting your drag a little tighter either way.(and check the sharpness of your hooks)

Edited by Sk8man