First, sorry about the lack of posts this year... ya see, you have to be on the water to report, and I just plain haven't. Covid has conspired against me on many levels.

Anywho- What a weekend at sodus. I have been blessed for several years with a consistent group of 4-6 guys that fish EVERY tourney with us. They're all great- they can drive, rig, net; and do it all without having to be asked. It's a well oiled machine. However, due to work and Covid, I was down to just me and one of my regulars. Even the boat co-owner (my brother) was absent due to quarantine. So, we scrambled and my buddy Darrel and 7 year old nephew joined Saturday and Sunday, and another buddy (no experience) joined Sunday.

It's been an exceedingly strange year. I've been out on my boat just 6 times this year (3 of those this weekend), which is just absurd. Needless to say, I've been looking forward to this tourney.

Friday we were greeted with 2-3 waves that quickly built to 4-6+. We set down in 90 and immediately got into various sizes of kings, with majors mixed in. We missed a few good ones, but the bite on mag black spoons off riggers was great. The weather was far too rough for my 7 year old nephew, so we called it at 8:30. We had 9 king bites in 2.5 hours so I felt relatively comfortable about Saturday. Big blows mix things up, and that's fine with me!

On Saturday, we went out to about 120, our best area from Friday. Things started well enough with 3 kings in the box by about 8, with a few misses (they didn't bother me much at the time). Then, we rotted. I worked further East, then deeper (almost to 300), then back in to 140. Just as we were gonna pop to run in for browns, we boxed an upper teen king. So we decided to stay in 130 and proceeded to miss 3 screamers in the last hour. That hurt. We weighed in 4 fish and had 100 pts. Ouch. The bite was entirely uv spoons on riggers. I tried like 30 different meat rigs and flies on dipseys, and they didn't move all day. Honestly, we had the bites we needed, it just didn't all come together. Such is life.

Sunday, we opted to run 4 miles west (the pack went East) and still work those mature Kings 130-180. We worked a program heavy on spoons, mostly a white nk 28, mag dw frog and stinger uv gators. The screen looked great all day from 70-110 down. We started with a few low teen kings in 130-140, then a few upper teen kings in the same water by about 8 am...then we found the mother load of big kings in about 180. We would go in to box 5 more kings in about 1.5 hours, all around 19-22 lbs, all on a deep spoon program. We had a nice little patch of water about 100 yds wide that was on fire. The guys were flawless on the rods and we caught all of our bites. We spent 2 hours at the end of the day trying for our kicker laker, to no avail. Even so, our Sunday score was 179 for 6 fish! It was enough to catapault us into 5th (out of 28) which I found pretty satisfying given the circumstances. We cashed a check and had a lot of fun. My nephew was giddy about the outcome, which is maybe the best part!

IMG_2516.JPG

IMG_2523.thumb.JPG.87afccadd835e2049785e1e13624619e.JPGIMG_2518.thumb.JPG.a64df2bfbcf3dcf1deff6476bd96ca1e.JPGIMG_2514.thumb.JPG.5d060090964d8c978a84d23e2847c183.JPGIMG_2487.thumb.JPG.69c25a130d388c55e6fe2e8e880c4335.JPGIMG_2485.thumb.JPG.b30757cb7b9188f311c4ea1137651be0.JPG

The Fishin’ Physician Assistant

• Like 6

I fished the pro am with my 8year old, 4 year old and my fifteen year old nephew.  We struggled but it was great.  My two little ones wanted to stay out each day until we caught fish.  That’s more important at this point in their lives than winning.  My nephew started that young  and now he’s doing fish taxidermy and owns his own boat.  

The event is a Great one with great people.    

• Like 3

Good to see you again this weekend!  I'm SOOO glad Theresa decided she wanted to only fish Thursday and Friday "because the ProAm is always so rough".  That was a GREAT decision on her part haha.  I think your 4-6' estimate for Friday may even be low ;) and Thursday wasn't much better!

• Like 1

Good to see you again this weekend!  I'm SOOO glad Theresa decided she wanted to only fish Thursday and Friday "because the ProAm is always so rough".  That was a GREAT decision on her part haha.  I think your 4-6' estimate for Friday may even be low [emoji6] and Thursday wasn't much better!

Lol. I betcha there were some 7s mixed in Friday when we packed up

• Like 1

HI, I find the search engine on this site frustrating.  I just want to know, how fast do you usually troll for kings.  Thanks in Advance

Masie

This weekend pretty slow- 1.8-2. Usually it's like 1.9-2.4