Advice on cheaters please...

I use a 5’ leader with a duo lock snap on each end then take a rubber band and half hitch it to your DR cable at the depth you want to be at.  Lock one snap over your line and clip the loop of the rubber band onto it as well. The rubber band will hold your lure in place until a fish strikes and snaps the rubber band and your leader will slide down to your barrel swivel above your lure at the ball.

Not sure from your post WHERE you are fishing and for what but all you have to do is take a section of flurocarbon line (I use 12 lb for Finger Lakes and 20 lb test for lake O) about 6-8 ft long (the reason for keeping it to this length or shorter is for netting purposes). tie a swivel snap (rounded snap type so it slides easily) to each end of the fluoro line.- one swivel goes to your lure, the other end you will attach to your downrigger line along with your main lure but not both at once:lol:. The reason for the swivel snap is to keep line twist to a minimum. Setup your main downrigger rod and lure and lower it about 10 or 12 feet then grab the main line and  attach the empty swivel end to the main downrigger line and let it slide down. Then lower the downrigger to the desired depth. When a fish hits the cheater it will slide down to the main lure and stop. Reel in and unsnap the slider  (cheater) from the main line. If the fish is on the main line  just reel them in the slider will usually be in back of the fish freely.If you happen to get 2 kings at once and they decide to go in different directions just pray and hold on:lol:  This is the basic setup.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 3

Here is a video I made a few years ago...

Top secrets video is excellent of wanting to use free sliders. That is exactly what we use. Excellent producer most trips on big steelies and occasional kings too. Just remember when using a free slider or cheater and the rod pops You need to reel like crazy. A lot of fish are lost because the rod pops and the guys on the boat thinks you missed them when in reality you need to reel the slack up quickly then game on. You will love them

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 1

I have struggled with fixed cheaters and tangles for about a year and finally came to a few conclusions.

cheaters suck on main line braided or even low pound test No matter what I did I would get a tangle with free or fixed using almost every method.

heavier pound test on the main line is awesome and paired with action stackers I didn’t get a single tangle and was able to release it quick! 

https://www.fishusa.com/Dreamweaver-Action-Stacker

I have struggled with fixed cheaters and tangles for about a year and finally came to a few conclusions.

cheaters suck on main line braided or even low pound test No matter what I did I would get a tangle with free or fixed using almost every method.

heavier pound test on the main line is awesome and paired with action stackers I didn’t get a single tangle and was able to release it quick! 

https://www.fishusa.com/Dreamweaver-Action-Stacker

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have had better luck and less tangles caused by the rubber band if I 1/2 hitch it to my rigger cable and then snap it to my main line with the slider snap. Over the years I have had the bands still attached to my main line and the slider not slide down when you have a fish on the main line then you're trying to net a fish with too much line out and a tangle at the tip of the rod.

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

Not sure from your post WHERE you are fishing and for what but all you have to do is take a section of flurocarbon line (I use 12 lb for Finger Lakes and 20 lb test for lake O) about 6-8 ft long (the reason for keeping it to this length or shorter is for netting purposes). tie a swivel snap (rounded snap type so it slides easily) to each end of the fluoro line.- one swivel goes to your lure, the other end you will attach to your downrigger line along with your main lure but not both at once[emoji38]. The reason for the swivel snap is to keep line twist to a minimum. Setup your main downrigger rod and lure and lower it about 10 or 12 feet then grab the main line and  attach the empty swivel end to the main downrigger line and let it slide down. Then lower the downrigger to the desired depth. When a fish hits the cheater it will slide down to the main lure and stop. Reel in and unsnap the slider  (cheater) from the main line. If the fish is on the main line  just reel them in the slider will usually be in back of the fish freely.If you happen to get 2 kings at once and they decide to go in different directions just pray and hold on[emoji38]  This is the basic setup.
Wow.. your braver than me..lol. I use a 3ft line. Any longer and my line ends up looking like my dogs breakfast...[emoji1787][emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

:smile: I know guys that use sliders 18 inches too. I seldom have any tangles or mess  ups with my 8ft sliders. I am careful about what I run on them though no stickbaits :lol:

• Like 1

[emoji2] I know guys that use sliders 18 inches too. I seldom have any tangles or mess  ups with my 8ft sliders. I am careful about what I run on them though no stickbaits [emoji38]
That is the voice of serious experience... It's ok Sk8man, your allowed to bust on me anytime...[emoji106][emoji106] I have a feeling you've earned it..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

:smile: same here I guess we all need to have a sense of humor these days. It is interesting that the little smiley faces I used changed it's look or expression when you quoted me....I don't know what does that....hope it doesn't get me into trouble sometime...

• Like 1

[emoji2] same here I guess we all need to have a sense of humor these days. It is interesting that the little smiley faces I used changed it's look or expression when you quoted me....I don't know what does that....hope it doesn't get me into trouble sometime...
Lol I'd be leery of any hand gestures!

Sent from my SM-A205U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Sk8man said:

:smile: same here I guess we all need to have a sense of humor these days. It is interesting that the little smiley faces I used changed it's look or expression when you quoted me....I don't know what does that....hope it doesn't get me into trouble sometime...

Lol, I hear ya..  as long as there's no kissy faces, everything's good..🤣🤣