"Closed Head" rivet help Please

R1150R

Hi,

My 16" Starcraft began to leak and I tracked the problem down to a few missing rivets at the stern on the hull near the center.

In doing my homework as to how to repair them I've gleaned much advice from the "Old Boat" forum.

Thanks to all who posted the many "How to's" .

As near as I can tell, I'm going to need 3 or 4 "Closed Head" pop rivets and some 3M 5200.

What I need help with is a source (hopefully in the Rochester area) for a small quantity of closed head pop rivets and a small quantity of"5200".

One of the guys on LOU has kindly offered to let me use the hd tool to install the rivets but no one locally stocks the rivets and most sources I've found sell them in huge quantities.

The hole diameter is 11/64 so I imagine that if I enlarge it a hair to 3/16 I'll be at a stock rivet size.

The thickness of the keel and the rib I'll be going through is @ 5/32 or .3.968 mm so a rivet with a 0.126" - 0.250" Grip Range ought to work.

Can anyone point me to a source for rivets and '5200' sealer so I can get out on the water?

Thanks in advance, Bill

this is link for advertisement for Bullfrog Rivet gun. It has a video showing the repair in detail.

An old Lund dealer replaced 23 lose or missing rivets on a 1986 Starcraft center console I had that was leaking about 5+ gallons an hour. you might check your area for an established dealer and see if they can hook you up.

https://www.traxstech.com/BFRD_1_Bull_Frog_Rivet_Deluxe_Repair_Kit_p/bfrd-1.htm

Hi,

My 16" Starcraft began to leak and I tracked the problem down to a few missing rivets at the stern on the hull near the center.

In doing my homework as to how to repair them I've gleaned much advice from the "Old Boat" forum.

Thanks to all who posted the many "How to's" .

As near as I can tell, I'm going to need 3 or 4 "Closed Head" pop rivets and some 3M 5200.

What I need help with is a source (hopefully in the Rochester area) for a small quantity of closed head pop rivets and a small quantity of"5200".

One of the guys on LOU has kindly offered to let me use the hd tool to install the rivets but no one locally stocks the rivets and most sources I've found sell them in huge quantities.

The hole diameter is 11/64 so I imagine that if I enlarge it a hair to 3/16 I'll be at a stock rivet size.

The thickness of the keel and the rib I'll be going through is @ 5/32 or .3.968 mm so a rivet with a 0.126" - 0.250" Grip Range ought to work.

Can anyone point me to a source for rivets and '5200' sealer so I can get out on the water?

Thanks in advance, Bill

There is a simple alternative. You can use truss headed stainless steel philips bolts, washers and nuts. You can get those at Fasten all. You can buy a small amount and of course the right size. Just use them instead of rivets. M5200 is available at Walmart, Lowe’s etc. if you are so inclined, you can replace every last rivet on your boat this way. The only condition is that you must be able to get to the inside of the hull in order to tighten the nuts.

Just google truss head bolt and you will see what I mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Another way to fix ,is if you can get to both sides of the missing rivets ,.You can use button head screws with nylon  insert nuts and 5200 used these on a 16 ft, Starcraft runabout.These are available at most good hardware stores.going on 8years and still no leaks. 

I had one rivet I drilled out that was loose and leaking. I couldn't get to the inside to fix it right since it was under the floor, which I had just replaced. Not sure it was the best idea but its held up great for 3 years: drilled the hole to 3/16 and used a stainless open head rivet. Then sanded all the paint off 2 inches around the rivet to bare metal. I then took some jb water weld and mixed that up real good. I put that over the rivet and bare metal to make a 4x4 inch square. Once that harded fully I sanded it smooth. That jb water weld is an solid as the aluminum. Again, probably not the correct way to fix it, but it's going on 3 years and hasn't leaked a drop. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks to all who responded.

We have a Fastenal store in Rochester and they ordered the rivets.

The 3M 5200 is on the way too.

A few "honeydo" jobs and a couple of motorcycle trips have slowed progress but my rivet repair should be done soon.

I PM'd the guy on LOU that said he would assist me with the use of  the heavy duty tool so I can pop the pop rivets but I haven't heard back from him yet.

Hopefully soon.

• 1 year later...