Pen Rearing Projects Information

Pen Rearing Information
Pen rearing projects around the lake aid in the stocking efforts of both Steelhead and Chinook Salmon. Pen rearing allows these fish to "smolt" and to grow to larger sizes before their release date. Unlike direct stocking, pen rearing increases survival and returns rates of these fish. These programs exist today because of the strong relationship between the DEC and the project's volunteers.
Please contact me if this information needs to be updated!

Sandy Creek Pen Rearing Project
Capt Rob Westcott - coordinator

585-703-0969

email: [email protected]

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/SandyCreekPenRearingProject

The Sandy Creek pen site is located at:

Hamlin, NY, 14464

Genesee River Pen Rearing Project
Capt Sam Zucco - coordinator
585-663-4333
email [email protected]
http://www.geneseecharterboat.com

The Genesee River pen site is located at:
Shumway Marina
40 Marina Dr
Rochester, NY 14617

Olcott Pen Rearing Project
LOTSA -coordinator
[email protected]

The Olcott pen site is located at:
Town of Newfane Marina
5818 West Main Street
Olcott, New York 14126
(716) 778-5462

Fair Haven Pen Rearing Project
Werner Stenger and Phil Lucason - coordinators
cell 315-532-2859 cell 315-709-9958
email [email protected] [email protected]

The Fair Haven pen site is located at:
Bayside Marina and Turtle Cove

King St.
Fair Haven NY
315-947-5331

Lower Niagara River Pen Rearing Project
Paul Jackson - coordinator
716-731-4780 OR 998-8910
Niagara River Anglers Association
http://www.Niagarariveranglers.com
email [email protected]

The Lower Niagara pen site is located at:
Constitution Park
Youngstown, NY

Oak Orchard Pen Rearing Project
Capt Bob Songin - coordinator
585-621-7878
email [email protected]
http://www.attheoak.com/

The Oak Orchard pen site is located at:
Lake Breeze Marina
990 Point Breeze Rd
Kent, NY 14477

Oswego Pen Rearing Project

Tom Allen- coordinator

315-207-0391

The Oswego pen site is located at:
Oswego Marina (East Side)
3 Basin Street.
315-342-0436

Sodus Bay Pen Rearing Project
Jim Mehegan

(315)945-1314

email: [email protected].

The Sodus Bay pen site is located at:

Arney's Marina 

7250 Route 14

Sodus Point, NY 14555

Salmon River Fish Hatchery Egg Take

Canada's Ringwood Salmon And Trout Hatchery

Tagging, fin clipping and Pen rearing

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Rob;

Thanks for this post and taking the time to put it all together. I would like to add the ports that the pens are located at almost always looking for volunteers to help with getting the pens in and out of the water and feeding.

Also the fish need to be fed 4 or 5 times a day, I don't remember exactly how many times. Some of the port's ask for volunteers to help with this task.

Please volunteer your time to help.

Pens go back in the Spring of 2010.

Regards;

Mark

• 3 years later...

Just a thought, Now's the time to consider volunteering or donating to the pen rearing project in your area. Congrats to all the folks who have kept this project running thru the years. It's a lot of work for just a few, but many hands make the job a lot easier. Please donate today.

If anything is different than Legacy's above post please let me know & I'll edit it. Thanks Again :yes:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

Captain Rob,

I have another update concerning the Sodus Pen information.

This year, the pens are moving from Krenzer Marine back to Arney's Marina.

The full address is: Arney's Marina

7250 Route 14

Sodus Point, NY 14555

Thanks,

Jim Mehegan

(315)945-1314

2 hours ago, 1fish2fish said:

Captain Rob,

I have another update concerning the Sodus Pen information.

This year, the pens are moving from Krenzer Marine back to Arney's Marina.

The full address is: Arney's Marina

7250 Route 14

Sodus Point, NY 14555

Thanks,

Jim Mehegan

(315)945-1314

:yes:

• 2 weeks later...

The Genesee Charter Boat Association got together to replace some netting and put them in on Monday 4/17/17.

Many more captains were involved than are pictured.....I dropped some pictures by accident.  Captain Rich Hajecki and Alex saved the day after a trip and he noticed that the pens had blown off the trailer.  Captain Matt French drove in from Greece to help save the pens.  Captain Sam Zucco (the club president) also came down to help.  

Not pictured was Captain Rick of Sharkbite, Bulldog, Captain Mark and I forgot the name of the guy to on the right in the second picture.  He is an awesome fisherman who has won many trout derbies!!!!  Please post your name so I can give you credit.  Anyone that I missed, sorry!  Please post.  

We will be doing a kids fishing seminar in May some time.  I will post when the fish come!  Tight Lines. 
Captain Larry Hammond

Greg, Kenny and Matt  put the pens in.jpg

putting in the fish pens 4 17 17.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just want to put it out there that I own a welding business and am also a pretty active fisherman on the lake. So I’m willing to fix any and all pens that need welding or replacement metal. I can be contacted on LOU or at 716-344-7446. Also I will donate travel time and go anywhere across the state, basically I’ll do the repairs for free. These pens insure the future of our fishery and I want to help in any way I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 4

8 hours ago, KilliansRed said:

Just want to put it out there that I own a welding business and am also a pretty active fisherman on the lake. So I’m willing to fix any and all pens that need welding or replacement metal. I can be contacted on LOU or at 716-344-7446. Also I will donate travel time and go anywhere across the state, basically I’ll do the repairs for free. These pens insure the future of our fishery and I want to help in any way I can.

That's awesome, thanks for the support!

• 10 months later...

Hey guys,

With the pen rearing season approaching I just want to repost what I posted last year

• Like 8

On ‎2‎/‎27‎/‎2019 at 9:56 PM, KilliansRed said:

Hey guys,

With the pen rearing season approaching I just want to repost what I posted last year

Thank you KilliansRed!  These pen projects are more important than ever and we need more guys like you! 

Hey guys,

Thank you. Maybe we can find some Killians for you!

Silverfoxcharters.net

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

IMG_3125.JPGIMG_3124.JPGIMG_3119.JPGIMG_3120.JPG

I did some work on the oak orchard pens today. Added some reinforcement to the corners and fixed the broken welds. I repaired the sodus bay pens in the fall. Get ahold of me if any pens need repair.

• Like 3