How to connect leadcore to mono backing?

I've got 27 pound leadcore to 12 pound mono backing, enough backing on there. I have em tied together with a 7 turn Alberto knot each way, with the lead pulled out of there and just the sheath in the knot. Just want to make sure that sounds good, is the backing poundage too light or ok, I'll play them lightly obviously. I see the copper guys use swivels on their connections in the reel.

6 hours ago, Auzure said:

I've got 27 pound leadcore to 12 pound mono backing, enough backing on there. I have em tied together with a 7 turn Alberto knot each way, with the lead pulled out of there and just the sheath in the knot. Just want to make sure that sounds good, is the backing poundage too light or ok, I'll play them lightly obviously. I see the copper guys use swivels on their connections in the reel.

I think most people back their LC setups with braid, but it depends on how many colors you're running. 12lb mono backing is prolly fine for shorter brown trout LC setups (1-3 colors) but anything you plan to target salmon with I use 30lb or 50lb braid as backing. I don't use the alberto knot but I do my tie my knots the same way by removing lead and tying to the sheath. 

I remove about four inches of lead then tie a loop in the nylon keepint it loose.  Then thread the mono inside the sheath about 4 inches.  Then slide the loop down toward the end and pull tight.  It works like chinese hancuffs. 

6 hours ago, Auzure said:

https://www.netknots.com/fishing_knots/willis-knot

5 hours ago, TyeeTanic said:

Why not braid backing ... first of all, you'll get WAY MORE on the reel, and I think the knot is way more secure too.

I went by what someone else recommend to me, but I'll keep that in mind for next time, thank you.

6 hours ago, orangediablo said:

remove 6-8" of lead and uni to uni knot to backer.  doesn't matter if braid or mono

I can't seem to figure how to tie that knot proper, I can never slide the knots together even when they are both loose, any ideas? The Alberto is my tried connection knot for the moment I'm just hoping the sheath can't slip through, pulled it real hard though.

8 hours ago, Fly n Fish said:

I remove about four inches of lead then tie a loop in the nylon keepint it loose.  Then thread the mono inside the sheath about 4 inches.  Then slide the loop down toward the end and pull tight.  It works like chinese hancuffs. 

I never though of it like this, the way I think of doing it is putting the mono in and then tying the knot but pulling the entire leader through before I could sinch it, going to have to try that, thanks!

I think most people back their LC setups with braid, but it depends on how many colors you're running. 12lb mono backing is prolly fine for shorter brown trout LC setups (1-3 colors) but anything you plan to target salmon with I use 30lb or 50lb braid as backing. I don't use the alberto knot but I do my tie my knots the same way by removing lead and tying to the sheath. 

Other than reel capacity why not mono backing ?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Results and not cost per se should be the guiding principle here. Braid attached by a #8 Spro swivel between 40-50 lb braid and the leadcore with a Willis knot or another # 8 swivel from either mono or fluoro leader to the leadcore is pretty bulletproof. The braid will allow more backing on the reel, cut through the water better, and generally be stronger than the mono backing, and depending on the braid selected may hold up better and longer if used with care (e.g. not left out in the heat and sun etc.). Although fleas can be an issue with braid especially - problems can be minimized by only letting out enough backing to get the leadcore under the surface. Fleas will usually mainly attach to the knot or swivel connections and that's it.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 1

Results and not cost per se should be the guiding principle here. Braid attached by a #8 Spro swivel between 40-50 lb braid and the leadcore with a Willis knot or another # 8 swivel from either mono or fluoro leader to the leadcore is pretty bulletproof. The braid will allow more backing on the reel, cut through the water better, and generally be stronger than the mono backing, and depending on the braid selected may hold up better and longer if used with care (e.g. not left out in the heat and sun etc.). Although fleas can be an issue with braid especially - problems can be minimized by only letting out enough backing to get the leadcore under the surface. Fleas will usually mainly attach to the knot or swivel connections and that's it.
Spro, that's the name. And thank you!

Sent from my LM-Q620 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On 7/24/2020 at 4:59 PM, Auzure said:

I can't seem to figure how to tie that knot proper, I can never slide the knots together even when they are both loose, any ideas? The Alberto is my tried connection knot for the moment I'm just hoping the sheath can't slip through, pulled it real hard though.

Here's a good video. 

Like most knots, practice, practice, practice.  get two different colored/kinds of line, maybe around 30lb mono, or even two kinds of thin rope to get a 'big picture' and concept down.  I use this knot when it's too much of a PITA to use a 30 or 40lb SPRO and palomar knots