Cayuga Avoid Boat with Reel Rage Pro Staff logo on side

Very simple solution. The bottom line is that the captain is responsible for the boat regardless of who is at the helm. If you don't know the navigation rules learn them or stay out of the helm.  This would alleviate a lot of conflict and frustration for a lot of people 

• Like 2

I work the lake regularly as a charter. Regardless if you have a new guy driving or not you are responsible for what your boat does. Particularly on busy weekends it can feel like combat trolling dealing avoiding others. I run 10 lines most days and if you are working a ledge and someone comes along and pinches you into a shallow its a pain...I had more pleasure boaters and jetskis passing within a few yards of my boards at high speed this weekend than ever it was like someone called a stupid boater festival..... if as described an apology is certainly owed... not a cool move

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

• Like 2

I happened to fish with these guys a few weeks ago and then joined this site to learn more.  Both of the guys were fantastic.  I sat near the captain most of the day and he talked over and over about staying out of the way of other boats, multiple times taking us out to unproductive water until it was clear.  At one point we crossed the lake and he made sure we weren't cutting anyone off before we started setting up again.  

You have his name and charter name.  I'd bet if you called him you will find him to be a nice guy.  Both of these guys shared a lot of knowledge for me to get started.  He took a few phone calls to share what was working with others. Sometimes people mess up without bad intentions.  

• Thanks 1

Very well said :yes: Patience and tolerance apparently aren't easy to come by these days unfortunately. We've all had some less than perfect days out there.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Sk8man said:

Very well said :yes: Patience and tolerance apparently aren't easy to come by these days unfortunately. We've all had some less than perfect days out there.

Common Sense and common courtesy makes more sense than patience in this case. I saw it happen

• Like 1

Yes, but I guess my point is that there are a whole lot worse problems going on in the world right now and it seems as though this has taken on its own life.....s*** happens.

If I had a nickel for each time another boat made a possible mistake, I'd be a very wealthy man.  We all make them.  Sometimes without realizing even when doing our best to stay on top of things.  Complaining about it on a forum built to help each other out doesn't do much good.  Also, when you're running that much copper or any other line type that far out, it's also your own responsibility to make extra space for yourself so you don't have to worry about even the potential for problems with other boats.  There's no way anyone else knows you have that much line out, that's your responsibility to be on top of.  When one guy moves thinking he's moving out of the way, the other guy can interpret that differently.  There are many times this type of stuff occurs, taking it with a grain of salt and moving onto the next fish is a big part of the sport.  Best bet with that much line out, keep a bigger distance so there's room for error on everybody's part.  

• Like 2

Yes, but I guess my point is that there are a whole lot worse problems going on in the world right now and it seems as though this has taken on its own life.....s*** happens.

Nothing like a bunch of fisherman bickering ....lmao

Ok so hijacking this thread those spoons look really nice !!! Anyone use em .... hold up?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 1

I saw them at the Watkins show a couple years ago and unfortunately got tangled up with other things before I got back to them to pick some up. They looked great and had some real nice paint jobs from what I saw. Seemed like good guys too when i talked with them.

Just trying to warn others to keep a wide berth if they don’t want to have their fishing interrupted. 

I was out last year during one of the bass tournaments (Major League Fishing maybe?). Didn’t have any problems. 

Right of way is usually just something you hear about sadly.  When boat are coming at me and I have the right of way and I decide to hold my ground and see what happens, it usually ends bad.  One time I told a guy I had the right of way.  He yelled "This isn't Lake Ontario buddy!"  Good reply because I seriously didnt know what to say about that lol

Edited by vogel451

Right of way is usually just something you hear about sadly.  When boat are coming at me and I have the right of way and I decide to hold my ground and see what happens, it usually ends bad.  One time I told a guy I had the right of way.  He yelled "This isn't Lake Ontario buddy!"  Good reply because I seriously didnt know what to say about that lol

Unfortunately until the vast amount of boaters are forced to attend boater safety which everyone has to do phased in over several years .... many guys on the water have no knowledge of what those red and green lights on their boat are even for.... the optimist in me says it will get better the pessimist says probably not...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Right of way power boats yes you are a power boat if you have a motor running trolling.  Two boats head on keep right port to port. Crossing the boat to the right has the right of way. Overtaking boat gives way to the slower boat.
Blow boats under sail LOOK OUT.

• Like 1

Right of way power boats yes you are a power boat if you have a motor running trolling.  Two boats head on keep right port to port. Crossing the boat to the right has the right of way. Overtaking boat gives way to the slower boat.
Blow boats under sail LOOK OUT.
Laws and rules of the road Screenshot_20200728-132950_Google%20Play%20Store.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G970U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Swearing and middle finger wagging will get less of a response compared to a little toot on the air horn. I can’t believe anyone would fight over a lake trout but hey ....it’s your floor boards. 

• Haha 1