Yesterday was my first time launching out of Fairhaven. Made the run solo. I left the dock at about 515 and set up in 100 just to look for temp. Found it down 80 to 100. Set up with a meat rig, flasher fly, and carbon 14 spoon. Within 10 mins the rod with the carbon 14 fires. It was a smaller, maybe 6 lb king. I had a feeling the larger fish were out a little deeper so trolled out to 240. Then the same rod, with the carbon 14, fires hard and the drag is screaming. As soon as I grab the rod I see the fish jump 2 or 3 times. Really cool. He felt larger than what he was, weighting in at 13 pounds. I never moved a rod after that. But, temp was all over the place. I think temp was higher than where I was set up. I think temp was more like 60 ft out deeper like that. All in all, 2 for 2 and off the water by 11. Not bad for a solo run out of a different port. There had to be some huge fish out there. I took a pic of a huge mark of the fish finder down 60ft over 240. That's why I'm thinking temp came up out there.  I really should have stopped and dropped the probe to find out. Owell, next time. What a beautiful morning

20200725_084952.jpg

20200725_093635.jpg

20200725_064053.jpg

• Like 2

I try to target mid 40s and then fish a little above that. Or a sharp temp break. I'm still learning how the wind effects the temperature and how far offshore it's going to be. Especially after an east wind. That's why I slid a bit deeper as the morning progressed. 

Stout, thanks for the reply...I’m learning too and this Salmon fishing can be a steep and expensive lesson.  I started fishing Lake Ontario this year and have always looked for low 40’s.  I recently fished Lake Michigan North of the Traverse City (Leland) and the guy I was fishing with kept looking for 50 degrees.  All we caught in Michigan was Lake Trout so I’m coming back to Lake Ontario

Yeah, the temp thing for me is new this year. I have an old fish hawk that's just a temp probe that's on a wire. So I have to reel it up and down to check temp. It's sort of a pain but gets the job done. I usually fish the finger lakes so lake ontario is still a learning curve. I find the challenge fun, and the more I learn and try the better it's getting. Kings are a rush solo. Rod in one hand and net in the other. I love it! Haha

Thank you Gambler. At one point I counted 42 other boats in sight! I stayed away from the pack and did my own thing. Stayed inside longer than the pack did and then shot out past them to 200 and worked my way out. Crazy how many boats were out there

1 minute ago, sstout said:

Thank you Gambler. At one point I counted 42 other boats in sight! I stayed away from the pack and did my own thing. Stayed inside longer than the pack did and then shot out past them to 200 and worked my way out. Crazy how many boats were out there

it was crazy, had a buddy launch at oswego said it was the same up there

we left around noon, woman at the docks said they just came from oswego, no where to park

Yeah. I got back to the launch to pull the boat at about 11. There was a long line of boats waiting to go out. I was a little surprised to get to the launch right at 5am and the lot was 3/4 full already. Crazy.