Mexico bay accident

Hey guys- I’m the one who capsized Saturday night :( I hit something in the water about 2 miles out on the way home around 9-930pm. We took on water from the back end and the boat went under within about 40 seconds. I run a 19’ Starcraft offshore. My gf, her father and 9 year old son all swam back with their life jackets and a cooler as floatation as I told them to swim toward the red blinking light. I stayed with the boat as it stayed upside down with an air pocket and the closed cell foam I put under the floor doing its job. I swam it back to within about 1/8 mile to port and it stayed there until dad and I towed it back to the dock around 1AM. No one was hurt. My boat is totaled. I was not ticketed for anything. The 9 year old had his jacket on already as that is state law and good thing to. I had enough time to pass out life jackets  to everyone but me. Coast guard picked me up around 11-1130 just outside the break wall. Thanks to the two kayakers who hung with me for the last 20 mins or so. There’s some serious guilt for putting everyone’s lives in danger. Just glad everyone’s ok.

just wanted to set the record straight as the reports have not been accurate. My season is obviously over. For the record, the water was calm all night. I apologize to everyone who I’ve caused delay. We got a few laughs at the launch as the boat was turtled there for a few hours. 

Edited by Offshore IV

Wow! I know it seems disastrous (and was) but Thank God you had life vests/floatation to be able to get back in and the water temps were not frigid.:yes: Boats are replaceable human lives not.

• Like 1

Man, glad everyone made it back safely. Sucks about the boat. You can always replace that. Also, thank you for sharing your story as it puts a reality check to everyone that sh****t can happen in a blink of an eye......we always can learn and prepare as best we can.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

• Like 2

Thank you sir. 8 months worth of a build gone in the blink of an eye. But the make em every day. I am unsure if I’ll fish next year or not given what I just went through. 

Touch base with me if you feel up to fishing again this year. I will gladly get you back out. I fish out of Mexico almost every Friday and Saturday and sometimes evenings after work. Catchin Hell is my boat. I’m sure we have crossed paths

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1

Hey guys- I’m the one who capsized Saturday night [emoji20] I hit something in the water about 2 miles out on the way home around 9-930pm. We took on water from the back end and the boat went under within about 40 seconds. I run a 19’ Starcraft offshore. My gf, her father and 9 year old son all swam back with their life jackets and a cooler as floatation as I told them to swim toward the red blinking light. I stayed with the boat as it stayed upside down with an air pocket and the closed cell foam I put under the floor doing its job. I swam it back to within about 1/8 mile to port and it stayed there until dad and I towed it back to the dock around 1AM. No one was hurt. My boat is totaled. I was not ticketed for anything. The 9 year old had his jacket on already as that is state law and good thing to. I had enough time to pass out life jackets  to everyone but me. Coast guard picked me up around 11-1130 just outside the break wall. Thanks to the two kayakers who hung with me for the last 20 mins or so. There’s some serious guilt for putting everyone’s lives in danger. Just glad everyone’s ok.

just wanted to set the record straight as the reports have not been accurate. My season is obviously over. For the record, the water was calm all night. I apologize to everyone who I’ve caused delay. We got a few laughs at the launch as the boat was turtled there for a few hours. 

Glad to hear everyone is safe! Sorry to hear about the boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thankful to hear everyone is ok and all made it in safe! We never know what will happen with every trip on the water. Sounds like you were prepared and handled everyone's worst fear on the water the best way possible. I hope you and your family can get past this and get back on the water one day. Best wishes to you!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Get the hell out of here.  I arrived to the news of coast gaurd out of the port last night first thing this morning.  Its a gut wrenching feeling.  Even worse when u find out its someone u worked with while fishing.  Thank god you and your family is alright.  I’m sorry u lost such a beautiful boat.  Your season dont have to be over thou. I have an entirely way to big Of a boat for just me and the wife.  Please jump on with Us any weekend.  

I seen a 16ish aluminum boat with small outboard flipped over at the mexico point launch this morning on my way out and in. I thought that was the boat that went down at night. But There was a mayday call out at 8ish last night as well but I didnt get a location on it or I would have tried to help. 

Thanks everyone for the kind words and generous offers. I don’t know that I’ll be ready this year to go back out. 12 years Air Force didn’t really prepare me for the guilt and mental aspect of all this. I typically have my pup out there too, but didn’t due to heat. She wouldn’t have made it. 

I truly cannot understand what I hit. I’ll throw a pic up tomorrow of the prop. It was not something soft. It demolished two of my three blades. 

im not exactly a seasoned LO fisherman but I’ve been fishing my whole life. Anyone will tell you that this and deer hunting are all I know. I’m always looking for a larger (24’) boat so we will see. 

by the way, Trevor from colosse recovery was very professional, and loaded my boat onto his flatbed in no time. He’s 24 hours open and charged very fairly. For those without insurance, consider it. My boat isn’t worth anything but my motor is a 2017 with 400 hours. It’s under warrantee so we will see if merc can/will help me out at all. The DEC was going to charge me $1500 if I didn’t have the boat out at sunset yesterday. I called them at 7am to tell them we are doing everything we can. They were kind enough to afford me extra time before a fine was placed. 

i know I’m grateful no one was even hurt, but I lost a lot of gear. I keep adding it all up and I’m out at least $15k. My parents had just bought me a brand new fish hawk. It was its maiden voyage. I think it might actually still work as long as it’s ok being submerged for 10 hours. We actually ended up going 3/5 with all small fish. Again, all replaceable items. 

If I do end up calling it quits, I’ll part out the boat and post for sale. I lost my beautiful ranger net. My foam spoon pad that had prob 25 spoons on it so if someone finds it, and they prob will, you’ve hit the jackpot. 

Thanks everyone for the kind words and generous offers. I don’t know that I’ll be ready this year to go back out. 12 years Air Force didn’t really prepare me for the guilt and mental aspect of all this. I typically have my pup out there too, but didn’t due to heat. She wouldn’t have made it. 

I truly cannot understand what I hit. I’ll throw a pic up tomorrow of the prop. It was not something soft. It demolished two of my three blades. 

im not exactly a seasoned LO fisherman but I’ve been fishing my whole life. Anyone will tell you that this and deer hunting are all I know. I’m always looking for a larger (24’) boat so we will see. 

by the way, Trevor from colosse recovery was very professional, and loaded my boat onto his flatbed in no time. He’s 24 hours open and charged very fairly. For those without insurance, consider it. My boat isn’t worth anything but my motor is a 2017 with 400 hours. It’s under warrantee so we will see if merc can/will help me out at all. The DEC was going to charge me $1500 if I didn’t have the boat out at sunset yesterday. I called them at 7am to tell them we are doing everything we can. They were kind enough to afford me extra time before a fine was placed. 

i know I’m grateful no one was even hurt, but I lost a lot of gear. I keep adding it all up and I’m out at least $15k. My parents had just bought me a brand new fish hawk. It was its maiden voyage. I think it might actually still work as long as it’s ok being submerged for 10 hours. We actually ended up going 3/5 with all small fish. Again, all replaceable items. 

If I do end up calling it quits, I’ll part out the boat and post for sale. I lost my beautiful ranger net. My foam spoon pad that had prob 25 spoons on it so if someone finds it, and they prob will, you’ve hit the jackpot. 

Did you run into the rocks to the left of the rip rap jetties ? There are hazard buoys there but not lit. They would fit the distances reported. Glad everyone is safe

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

3 minutes ago, chinook35 said:

Did you run into the rocks to the left of the rip rap jetties ? There are hazard buoys there but not lit. They would fit the distances reported. Glad everyone is safe

Can you send me a google maps pin please?

Can you send me a google maps pin please?

You can clearly see the hazards on your GPS or NOAA chart The hazard buoys would be to the left of the green aid to navigation coming in from the lake. Always keep the red aid to starboard when returning. If you were to the left of the green aid , you were in the rocks

Offshore:

So very glad the party onboard all made it safely to shore. A great reminder to us all how quickly things can turn to crap, and how little time you can have to to get PFD's on. 2 miles is a long, long way in the water without them. I'm 66 and it's been really easy to get used to wearing an inflatable vest whenever I'm out at night, especially alone. I see a lot of people doing the same. A great late Father's Day present!

I'm amazed it doesn't happen more often. I'm on the St. Lawrence in the Narrows area and weekends there are boat running well over 15 in the dark all night long.

What kind of damage was there to your boat that caused that much water in so fast? Transom tear away?

• Like 1

So glad everyone is ok offshore, somethings are unavoidable. Sounds like you're training kicked in just fine. There's no thinking, just doing. You can have all the equipment and training in the world but survival instincts make it or brake it. You've got a tough crew. They must have learned from someone. Hug your family , regroup, and get back on the horse. Humility is just a reminder that we're all vulnerable.
You're friend, Clark.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1