Mexico bay accident

Sorry to hear of your boat loss but you were prepared and that likely saved lives.
As Prof T said we fish the river a lot at night and wear inflatables which are very comfortable.
A great reminder that things can go bad quickly and the big lake can be unforgiving.
Hope your able to recover from this and get back on the water in the future!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Wow, glad to hear everyone is safe! Excellent job of handling the situation, you likely saved lives by making sure to get everyone in a pfd as quickly as you did! I'm out of Mexico and can't think of anything out that far that you could have hit? Sounds like it could have happened to anyone of us... I will be keeping a better eye out for sure from now on! 

OMG. I'm glad to hear you all were able to get to shore safely.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

So the so called level floatation does not work with a heavy large four stroke engine?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

20 hours ago, FishingFool34 said:

Wow, glad to hear everyone is safe! Excellent job of handling the situation, you likely saved lives by making sure to get everyone in a pfd as quickly as you did! I'm out of Mexico and can't think of anything out that far that you could have hit? Sounds like it could have happened to anyone of us... I will be keeping a better eye out for sure from now on! 

I agree. Everyone is telling me it’s a log but the prop tells a different story. I’ll post pictures when I can. Thank you

1 hour ago, jimski2 said:

So the so called level floatation does not work with a heavy large four stroke engine?

I rebuilt the boat myself too to bottom. The floor to bottom of the boat was packed with closed cell foam. By the time I knew what was happening, it wouldn’t have mattered.

one piece of advice was given to me By the diver who was there solely to retrieve my dead body that I will forever do- Put a whistle and a glow stick in all of your life jackets. Smart idea. Having a convo with the guy who was sent to get your dead body was humbling....

• Like 1

I am very glad everything worked out... I fish with the same crew, dad, sons etc, I couldn’t imagine that happening .. thank you for telling your story. It definitely opened my eyes as to how things can happen quick.. as well as we should all learn from this.. be prepared and expect the unexpected. I hope everything works out the best it can for you and you will get back on the water when your ready. The convo with the diver, wow, very humbeling. Interested as to see the pictures, Starcraft a tuff boat... mine held up to skidding across a exposed shoal a few weeks bac in the Adirondacks, was choppy that day and couldn’t see it in low valleys of the waves or maybe I just got lucky????

5 minutes ago, bettieanne said:

I am very glad everything worked out... I fish with the same crew, dad, sons etc, I couldn’t imagine that happening .. thank you for telling your story. It definitely opened my eyes as to how things can happen quick.. as well as we should all learn from this.. be prepared and expect the unexpected. I hope everything works out the best it can for you and you will get back on the water when your ready. The convo with the diver, wow, very humbeling. Interested as to see the pictures, Starcraft a tuff boat... mine held up to skidding across a exposed shoal a few weeks bac in the Adirondacks, was choppy that day and couldn’t see it in low valleys of the waves or maybe I just got lucky????

Thank you. My boat is more adequate than most 18’ you see out there. For anyone who’s seen it, they know. Very high gunnels. Very safe. There’s nothing it could have done better.

On 7/27/2020 at 9:39 AM, Low Baller said:

So glad everyone is ok offshore, somethings are unavoidable. Sounds like you're training kicked in just fine. There's no thinking, just doing. You can have all the equipment and training in the world but survival instincts make it or brake it. You've got a tough crew. They must have learned from someone. Hug your family , regroup, and get back on the horse. Humility is just a reminder that we're all vulnerable.
You're friend, Clark.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks Clark, I appreciate the kind words. 

• Like 1

With the start of the combat season approaching, I for one have reflected on many experiences seen and shared. Every season I go through my gear several times before making the big run. Small crafters must be extremely vigilant, constantly paying attention to our surroundings and educating anyone on board for the worst scenerio. Most folks on this sight would give anyone the shirt off their backs. I always remind myself that once you clear the break water, what ever happens next, I own it. Be safe, be prepared, and always leave your ego at the dock. They're just fish.
I now have whistles and glow sticks in my pfds. See you on the pond.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thank you all for your support. I don’t want anyone to lose confidence in their boat, gear, crew etc... Sometimes you’re put in a no win situation. Run through what you’d do in any bad situation you can think of. I know I ran through what I’d do if what happened to me actually happened, and it was fully automatic because of that repetition. Have a plan on who will do what, what you’d give to who first to last, etc... I knew the young one had a jacket on, so the next most vulnerable person was my gf, so she was next in line for a jacket, and finally the least vulnerable was her father, who was last to get a jacket. I did not have time for myself but I knew what was happening probably 20 seconds before everyone else, and you can get a lot done in 20 seconds. Once you realize you’re going under, accept that fact and start getting as much done as you can. Know your boat, know where your gear is, and try to remain calm. The very last thing I did was instruct them to get to the blinking red light, which was the break wall. I didn’t get the full sentence out because I went under but they heard “blinking red light”. My gf informed me that she got tangled with three rods when she first exited the boat  but worked through it, so tie everything down to avoid that. I do not remember when the boat went from right side up to bottom up. I was under water while that happened. 

again thank you for all the support. 

Absolutely incredible.  Thank you for ur story.  I for one Am gonna start goin over that situation on my boat with my wife and anyone on board.  Thinkin now.  Maybe my life jackets in the cuddy isnt such a good idea.  They need to be readily avaible.  Life ring is goin to be attached to the side  And u mentioned about ur pup is normally on board.  Hachimo can’t swim and he would surely not survive.  I ordered two dog life jackets for him and my shepherd and they will always go on when were motoring out and in.  

Sharing your story may save a life someday.  

• Like 5

Absolutely incredible.  Thank you for ur story.  I for one Am gonna start goin over that situation on my boat with my wife and anyone on board.  Thinkin now.  Maybe my life jackets in the cuddy isnt such a good idea.  They need to be readily avaible.  Life ring is goin to be attached to the side  And u mentioned about ur pup is normally on board.  Hachimo can’t swim and he would surely not survive.  I ordered two dog life jackets for him and my shepherd and they will always go on when were motoring out and in.  

Sharing your story may save a life someday.  

Life vests in the cuddy , Illegal while under way. They should be on deck and readily available

11 minutes ago, chinook35 said:

Life vests in the cuddy , Illegal while under way. They should be on deck and readily available

Where did you find that? Readily available YES, in plastic bags or under lock and key while underway NO. That's what the boater safety guide says, why would in the cuddy be illegal? My cuddy is always open and unlocked when I'm in the boat. I have been checked several times and pulled them out of storage compartments in front of DEC and was never told they needed to be out and on deck?

1 hour ago, FishingFool34 said:

Where did you find that? Readily available YES, in plastic bags or under lock and key while underway NO. That's what the boater safety guide says, why would in the cuddy be illegal? My cuddy is always open and unlocked when I'm in the boat. I have been checked several times and pulled them out of storage compartments in front of DEC and was never told they needed to be out and on deck?

I can also confirm. I was stopped by the coast guard two years ago with my gear in the exact same orientation as it was when we went down and they did not suggest moving anything from where it was. 

one thing I can tell y’all is the guide says you should have a rope and an anchor, but it does not specify that they need to be attached. Seems like common sense and the coast guard did not advise that the anchor and rope need to be attached, but according to the sheriffs office, they indeed need to be attached. 

there’s nothing illegal about them being in the Cuddy, but it seems like they will be moved by common sense and safety, rather than by law. Good on you Hachimo. 

I can also confirm. I was stopped by the coast guard two years ago with my gear in the exact same orientation as it was when we went down and they did not suggest moving anything from where it was. 

one thing I can tell y’all is the guide says you should have a rope and an anchor, but it does not specify that they need to be attached. Seems like common sense and the coast guard did not advise that the anchor and rope need to be attached, but according to the sheriffs office, they indeed need to be attached. 

there’s nothing illegal about them being in the Cuddy, but it seems like they will be moved by common sense and safety, rather than by law. Good on you Hachimo. 

I stand corrected All these years I’ve been under the , I guess false , understanding that a cuddy was an enclosed compartment. I always dig out the required number of vests and have them , along with the throwable tucked in the gunwales. I will still do this because things happen fast out there. But you’re right. They can be left in the cabin if it’s not locked. My bad

15 minutes ago, chinook35 said:

I stand corrected All these years I’ve been under the , I guess false , understanding that a cuddy was an enclosed compartment. I always dig out the required number of vests and have them , along with the throwable tucked in the gunwales. I will still do this because things happen fast out there. But you’re right. They can be left in the cabin if it’s not locked. My bad

All good. I opened this thread to discuss how to make everyone more prepared and safe. The law is just the base level. Anything that will enhance safety that is improved from the existing law, we are all for. 

In Pa if ur born aft 1980or 81. U have to take the boater saftey class to run personal watercraft or 20hp+. When I bought my trophy 5years ago the wife and I took the class not just to Be LEGAL but also learn a thing or two.  My cuddy door is always open and the Life jackets are readily available. But now there gonna b under captains chair. Even more readily avaible. Only other safty device besides a throw ring I need is a flair gun. 

This thread really hit home for me becouse that very simply could have been me. Offshore, I think we were the last two boats out there Saturday.  I fished in front of the dunes and seen one boat out to the west In 100fow area when I was headin in at 9ish   I could have hit what u did and I’m not sure how things would have turned out.  

We heard the call on the vhf in kingston Ontario but way too far to make it obviously. Very glad to hear the story ended positively.

We do a lot of night fishing and it’s always a thought that you just never know what could be in the water just below the surface.

We do always wear Inflatables when aboard the boat though. I’ve taught my kids the same and my friends aren’t allowed on if they don’t wear it. Just not worth it for how inabtrusive they are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk