Mexico bay accident

All good. I opened this thread to discuss how to make everyone more prepared and safe. The law is just the base level. Anything that will enhance safety that is improved from the existing law, we are all for. 
Whistles and light sticks being added next time im at my boat! Im gonna bungee a vest behind each of my front two seats and cargo the spares along the side

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Whistles and light sticks being added next time im at my boat! Im gonna bungee a vest behind each of my front two seats and cargo the spares along the side

I'm looking at inflatables. Wondering if the manuals are good. Can't put a price on safety but $60 verses $150? My vests are great but bulky. That's the point I guess.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

The one I bought for Logan and I were neon green and black from runnings, $60 each. Neoprene and I used mine a lot. I have mine on most of the time but didn’t the other night unfortunately. His saved his life tho. Shop around and try a few on. They don’t go bad so spend the money for a comfy one. 

I'm looking at inflatables. Wondering if the manuals are good. Can't put a price on safety but $60 verses $150? My vests are great but bulky. That's the point I guess.

I have one auto inflatable for myself since I fish solo at times and a couple of regular ones that I have for anybody I might come on board or I guess as a backup for me I just need to make them more available and I need to make myself wear the inflatable one more often if you watch for sales the auto inflate one sometimes you can find a decent price

• Like 1

Wow. Glad everybody made it out safe. One common thread with boats going down is how fast it can happen. Having quick access to a life jacket is so important! Probably not a bad idea to leave some out so they float on the surface if you can’t get to them fast enough. Something I hope I never have to think about but it can happen to any of us. 

27 minutes ago, lost a lure said:

How did the water flood the boat?

I’ve thought about this a lot. I think what happened is this. I think water slowly came over the transom little by little as the day went on and then when I hit whatever I hit, we all stood at the back of the boat and that was enough weight, in addition to the water, to allow it over the transom. I’m only assuming. I did notice a bit of a dent near the drain plug so I’m gonna flop it over and fill it with water from the inside to see where/if there’s a hole there. Also realized my spoon foam pad survived. I’ve gotta flip the boat over and I don’t know how I’m gonna do it yet. 

17 minutes ago, Offshore IV said:

I think water slowly came over the transom little by little as the day went on and then when I hit whatever I hit, we all stood at the back of the boat and that was enough weight, in addition to the water, to allow it over the transom. 

Everyone should have an automatic bilge with a light on the dash that comes on when the bilge turns on.  That way you always know when you are taking on water.  Not knowing your taking on water until it's too late seems to be a common denominator in a bunch of the boating accidents that have occurred in Mexico bay in the last few years.  Glad everyone was ok.

8 minutes ago, splitwindow1 said:

Everyone should have an automatic bilge with a light on the dash that comes on when the bilge turns on.  That way you always know when you are taking on water.  Not knowing your taking on water until it's too late seems to be a common denominator in a bunch of the boating accidents that have occurred in Mexico bay in the last few years.  Glad everyone was ok.

Appreciate the input. I wish I had a lot of things that night.

Submerged log? Not sure what else it could be a couple miles out.
Have been involved in stuff like that 3 times. Stuff happens fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

1 minute ago, whaler1 said:

Idk because my skag is very scraped up. I’ll drove myself nuts if I analyze it anymore. I just hope I can help someone be more safe and be cognizant of different scenarios and be ready as the captain of your vessel. 

Just now, splitwindow1 said:

Thanks for sharing the information about adding glow sticks and whistles to each lifevest  on the boat. Never thought about that.  I be adding those this week when I get up there.

You’re welcome. It was about 75 that night and I completely lost my voice within 20 minutes and I was only yelling to the other three every five minutes or so. You lose your voice much quicker than you think. 

According to the sheriff’s Dept. The accident happened much closer to shore. If the 30 ft is correct , that’s exactly where the rocks are To the right of the north rip rap wall

https://www.localsyr.com/news/local-news/lake-ontario-boating-accident-one-person-rescued-by-kayaker/

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, chinook35 said:

According to the sheriff’s Dept. The accident happened much closer to shore. If the 30 ft is correct , that’s exactly where the rocks are To the right of the north rip rap wall

https://www.localsyr.com/news/local-news/lake-ontario-boating-accident-one-person-rescued-by-kayaker/

The article is incorrect in saying the boat ran aground at 30’. The 30’ is where I swam the boat to. That’s what was reported by the coast guard. Tho the damage to the prop and the skag could have occurred upon the recovery I suppose. 

Edited by Offshore IV

Glad to hear everyone is okay.  Good thing so many caring people out there, quite an eye opener.  Hope you feel better as time goes by and get out there again.  Stay safe everyone, Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

Glad to hear everyone is okay.  Good thing so many caring people out there, quite an eye opener.  Hope you feel better as time goes by and get out there again.  Stay safe everyone, Thanks for sharing.

Those new four stroke engines add over 100 pounds on the transom . Also a kicker transom engine adds over another 100 pounds. The bilge water will add weight to the transom. When the boats were designed and tested they probably used a lighter two stoke engine and no trolling engine [emoji17]. I banged a lot of props over the years and never sank a boat. Raising the lower unit also took floatation away.

16 minutes ago, jimski2 said:

Those new four stroke engines add over 100 pounds on the transom . Also a kicker transom engine adds over another 100 pounds. The bilge water will add weight to the transom. When the boats were designed and tested they probably used a lighter two stoke engine and no trolling engine emoji17.png. I banged a lot of props over the years and never sank a boat. Raising the lower unit also took floatation away.

I was part of the iboats forum during the build and there were a few guys with the same boat that had no issues with the same motor. That said I almost got the 70 yami because it was a full 100# lighter. I don’t have a kicker and actually just recently moved the battery to the front so both batteries and gas tank (20 gal) were in the front. 

thank you 4 sharing,are you certain the drain plug was in? thats alot of water,it sounds like the correct theroy on the capsize,as to what you hit?? its a huge lake,a dock,logs a small capsized aluminum boat..its all most endless..again thanxs 4 sharing;and so long 4 now;john

6 minutes ago, johnnywalleye said:

thank you 4 sharing,are you certain the drain plug was in? thats alot of water,it sounds like the correct theroy on the capsize,as to what you hit?? its a huge lake,a dock,logs a small capsized aluminum boat..its all most endless..again thanxs 4 sharing;and so long 4 now;john

Plug was in the whole time. Let me reiterate- my boat is not a normal size aluminum. It’s very much so big water ready. It’s the smallest aluminum made specifically for the ocean. I’ve been getting a lot of guys telling me the boat wasn’t ready for big water. It was, and has been for the past few years. Well. Now it’s scrap but lol

I remember when you started your build. Several conversations at the launch on how to go about it. You actually helped me in tweeking things. Those old offshore's are tanks. If that had been me, my rig would have been in pieces. This thread has been very helpful to all of us, no matter what size rig. Bottom line, we all dodge a bullet sooner or later. Hope you're crew has recovered. See you soon.