Canadice Canadice 7/26/2020

Been having pretty good luck the past month on Cayuga (Sheldrake) and Canandaigua (Woodville), figured I would change things up and hit Canadice yesterday morning and try jigging lakers. 

Hit the water ~6:15 with a slight SW wind; as the morning went on the wind died down so that the lake was almost glass-smooth.  Got off the water around 11:30 just as the recreational kaykers were starting to show up in full force.  

Dropped the Fish hawk TD and got the following temps:

Depth    05    10    15    20    25    30    35    40    45    50    55    60    65    70    75
Temp     80    80    80    79    72    63    58    54    50    48    47    46    45    45    45

Started around 40-45 FOW looking for bait and marks and worked my way around the lake down to 80 FOW.  

Had a ton of followers that I couldn't get to bite, just  a few quick grabs that didn't stay hooked - never landed a fish all morning.  Mixed up my offerings with all kinds of jigging spoons and jigs with paddle tails in assorted colors.  I even changed up my cadence a bunch of different ways , including dragging a stand-up jig across the bottom to simulate pulling copper for awhile.  

An enjoyable morning on the water, but man, Canadice fish sure can humble you in a hurry. 

Nice report:yes: Apparently you are doing something that I suggested to one of the guys this morning in a PM.and that is to record the info from the TD for review. If you use the device without doing so a lot is lost to memory (e.g. interesting breaks) and also repeated measurements (e.g. Lake O and the larger Fingers) are useful as the thermocline often changes throughout the lakes. The TD is a lot more useful than a lot of folks realize as well as some creative uses. I still use mine along with the X4D to compile data:smile:

Edited by Sk8man

Nice report!! 

wow lake gets cold going down is that 48degrees at 50s ? probably why I always had better luck trolling higher from my kayak with a dipsey rig.

also jigged it but only had luck with bass minnows in 40-50 fow just a slow drag.

it can be really tough in summer Hemlock is a little more forgiving .

great info here thanks

@Sk8man - Generally I  use the Fish Hawk once per trip to give myself a general indication of where the thermocline is set-up ; Realize that what I'm doing isn't 100% accurate, but it gets me down to the general vicinity pretty quickly.  Also, if I fished yesterday, I won't always take a reading today unless there was major weather event that may have caused a change.  Also find it useful to check on lead cores and determine their actual sink rates.

@trouthunter24 - Yes 48 degrees at 50 ft deep.   One thing I've seen with Canadice and Hemlock is that you don't necessary need to be dragging the bottom to find temps that lakers prefer or catch 'em for that matter.  One thing that I was told years ago is that the water is oxygen deficit in the deepest parts of the lake, and supposedly it pushes them into a narrow band of water just below the thermocline.  

Temp results from the past few years

Canadice_temps.thumb.JPG.fad369545a6ba1ee48d77cccab34c492.JPG

Edited by JJBat150

Yep good for cores, coppers, and even dipseys. You have a good handle on it. Sometimes looking over the previous years data can yield some interesting findings too. For many years I had the old Fishhawk that you reeled up and down and I attached to my downrigger  for measurements and recorded on paper the results for many years and it sometimes contained surprises when you looked for patterns especially when coordinated with my diaries:smile:

Edited by Sk8man