Kicker controls

skinny420

I just got a good deal on a kicker motor and am looking to set it up. My questions are what is the best adjustable bracket? Is the panther good enough or is there a better one? Next I've seen the electronic speed control kits with a servo for the throttle. Is one kind better than others? Last question. Do I just lock the kicker straight and steer with the big motor or should I spend the money on the ez steer? Please help me! 

15 hours ago, skinny420 said:

I just got a good deal on a kicker motor and am looking to set it up. My questions are what is the best adjustable bracket? Is the panther good enough or is there a better one? Next I've seen the electronic speed control kits with a servo for the throttle. Is one kind better than others? Last question. Do I just lock the kicker straight and steer with the big motor or should I spend the money on the ez steer? Please help me! 

I can't comment on the adj brackets as I never looked into them my kicker came pre-rigged on a bracket. The throttle control options are iTroll, Trollmaster, ControllKing… I would prolly rank them in the that order, but it is also how they rank from most to least expensive. It really comes down to how many bells/whistles you want to have as any of the 3 will control your speed. You will for sure want the ez steer setup, locking kicker straight and trying to use your main as a rudder will not perform nearly as well as you think. 

I have my kicker tied to my main engine, it was already on a bracket, I use a bungee cord to hold the kicker control arm up  so it will not get caught when steering,I just use the throttle on the kicker, not an electronic one. It is very easy to fine tune, and once I get on a new course, I only make one or 2 adjustments. I DID add a raymarine auto pilot this year. That was worth every penny. Since it controls the big engine, It also controls the kicker when I am using that.

I don't have the autopilot it tied to a gps yet, it just holds the course..... . 

I purchased a Trollmaster this spring and it will not power up out of the box I have only managed to get someone to answer the phone once out of at least 50 calls to tell me to go through the vender I bought it from. It has been installed and they say it is a warranty issue. I had a Controllking on a previous boat and it was great. No experience with any others. Good luck. Mel