Importing boat/motor/trailer from Canada to NYS

mscheda

Has anybody imported a boat/motor/trailer from Canada to the US? The rig I'm considering is US made (tho I'm not sure about the trailer) and worth about $10k US.

Is a customs broker required? Do you know a good one?

Any experience or referrals to other information sources appreciated.

Thanks!

Dear Mscheda,

Preparation will make it a pleasurable experience. Failure to heed the following will certainly get you an extended stay at customs or seizure of your property! Be sure and bring the bill of sale for the boat showing serial number, price paid, date etc. You will need a min. of three copies. Declare that the boat is for personal use, not commercial. Under NAFTA you are allowed to bring items(long list, boats are included) across DUTY FREE for personal use. The engine (if outboard)should be included on the boat receipt. Yamaha's can be brought in from Canada duty free. Others are not known to this writer. THE TRAILER should be on a separate receipt. HERE"S where the problem can get ugly in a hurry. All boat trailers must have V-5 certification on the serial tag. NO V-5 CERT....NO ENTRY ALLOWED INTO US (under Federal DOT requirements since 1998) Some Canadian trailers have V-5, many do not!!! All US made boat trailers have the V-5 cert. on the serial tag, if missing when the border crossing is attempted, no crossing allowed into US EH!! I helped one friend thru this via cell phone in 2008, he chose to ignore the V-5 sticker, held up 8 hours at the 1000 island bridge. Another sad story! Had to borrow a US trailer in order to get the 32 footer home to Webster!!

If you make it thru customs, be sure and register(pay NYS sales tax at NYDMV) the boat etc within 30 days. REQUIRED BY NYS SALES TAX LAW. Otherwise you will get a nast... letter from the ALBANY CROWD! Above all, be nice to the border people...They have unlimited power and can detain you as long as they want! I haven't had that problem but know some who have.

P.S. If you have a DWI or DWIA conviction on your license history, They can refuse you entry into CANADA! BE NICE TO THE BORDER GUARDS NO MATTER WHAT THEY SAY! is the best rule!!

Good luck,

JET BOAT BILL (My boat was made in Canada/Parry Sound, Ontario)