Catharine Creek

Trout season is upon us and i have a few comments about the upcoming season. Ive been fishing Catharine Creek and other Finger Lake tribs for many years and i cant believe that the rainbow trout limit has not been reduced to 1 per person or turned into catch and release only. It makes absolutely no sense how a small and fragile wild trout creek like Catherine can be subjected to people hauling 3 fish out of the streams per person!! I saw way to many fish being carried out of the stream on stringers than i care to talk about these last couple of years, its just a complete waste of this tremendous fishery we have. With all the invasive species like zebra mussels and lampreys these fish need a break, no wonder why their population is declining. Lake Ontario is experiencing the same invasive species problem that we are and their tributaries are so much bigger and can handle much more fishing pressure, EVEN THEY have reduced their trout limit to 1, and the trout fishing on the tribs has improved dramatically. Does it make any sense whatsoever how this can be possible??

I would like to see about 5 miles of the creek closed down. I used to fish the tribs that run into the main creek in the late 80s to about 94. It was full of fish, but I also saw guys with so many fish on a rope they had to drag it out of the woods at 4am on the 1st :devil: . You add that to water and invasive species problems and you get what you have now. Sean

I agree with you guys.... ive been fishing the finger lake tribs for some time and every year there are less and less fish and the same or more people all taking more than they need.... back in the day 3 was fine but to preserve it either needs to be 1 or just catch and release... i know this doesnt set well with a lot of people but if we continue the way we are going the trout fishing around here will suck and we will all be reduced to sitting around drinking beer remembering the "good old days".. it also doesnt help that the DEC seems to have no clue how to manage a stream properly nor does it appear that they care.... :(

A lower limit/C&R doesn't sit well only with the people who choose to be ignorant and consistently abuse the fishery. I don't understand why this amazing stream isn't a higher priority for the DEC. In a state of put and take trout fishing, wild streams as this should be set on a pedestal.

Been on Catherine since the 70's....As far as fishing goes,its not what it used to be.However , when the state bulldozes thousands of fry up onto the band in the name of "flood control" Id say that that most likely was a bigger problem than a few slobs killing more than they can use.Want the the fish back in the creek?Get the state to put some smelt back into seneca,and follow canadas lead with sanctuarys.

Been on Catherine since the 70's....As far as fishing goes,its not what it used to be.However , when the state bulldozes thousands of fry up onto the band in the name of "flood control" Id say that that most likely was a bigger problem than a few slobs killing more than they can use.Want the the fish back in the creek?Get the state to put some smelt back into seneca,and follow canadas lead with sanctuarys.

Agree all the way! :yes:

This is a topic that is all to familiar for this time of year. My question to all of you that care about this wild trout fishery is, why wait until now to bring this up??? These streams are always on my mind not just a month or so before the opener!!!

Last year I tried to do my part, and I have yet to hear back from the state!!! I made up a petition that was asking for a reduced limit on the finger lakes tribs to a 1 rainbow trout limit. I hung it on a few boards here at work and took the petition with me on the first and e-mailed it to a couple of friends. The only one that took me up on it was keukacatchandrelease (I think he is a member here). He got a bunch of guys to sign his on the first while fishing Catherine and he got a great response if I remember correctly (as he took care of his petition) but I didnt get as good of a response as where I fished. The water was muddy and I only saw a handful of guys. But I got quite a few sigs on the petitions I hung at work. I sent mine in but never got as much as a confermation of them recieving it?!?!?

After the major flood that hit Catherine in '95 and the state decimated the stream buy bulldozing the snot out of it I sent MANY e-mails to the DEC. I used a positive tone in all of my e-mails and asked if there was any way that me and/or others could volunteer some of our time to help bring the stream back. I also asked the question as to why after they replaced some structure, such as rip-rap or digger, why they leave the stream bed totally graded flat by heavy machinery insteat of digging a hole or trench to direct the water towards the improvement??? I was told that the best thing to do was to let the stream fix itself and to go back to its natural gradiant. I was baffled by that comment as in most areas of the stream where rip-rap was put in place the water never even went near the structure. It seemed simlpe to me, all you needed to do was angle your blade to dig a deeper slot to direct the water towards the improvemen?!?! But then again who am I, right?!?! As to the volunteering of mine or others time, they basically told me the best thing to do was to join a group like TU (which I am definately not a fan of, especially the CC chapter).

My thoughts on the topic are lower it to a one (1) fish limit and to close the tribsto these systems for 5 years possibally indefinatley. That alone would bring back the fishery IMHO. But the state OBVIOUSLY dose not care about this one time gem of a system.

I have lots more to say but I will leave it here for now.

Floatfisher i couldn't agree anymore with what you have to say. It makes me down right frustrated to think that this unique lake run natural reproduction fishery on Catharine creek can just be pushed aside like it is. Does the DEC do anything to ensure the future for this trout stream, I THINK NOT! Like you said the best thing for the creek is just to close it to fishing for a very long time(ya right, like this is ever going to happen.) The population of wild rainbows would climb back up to like it was in the olden days, no question about it. The tributaries of Catharine creek are what get hammered and fished out, the fish stand absolutely no chance in that skinny water. I feel down right sorry for the trout because the streams are so small and open they have no where to hide from people and they get harassed and snagged, or in some cases that i have heard even netted. If anything is done at all to Catharine creek close up the tribs leading into it and give those pore fish trying to reproduce a chance!

This seems to be a problem where overfishing and lack of quality habitat are coming together to make a perfect storm that will prove deadly for the rainbows. The state of NY is a downright joke when it comes to proper management of any fishery. The decline of these tribs and the mismanagemet of this resource is a flat out crime.

JASTER, in some years this is what happens others you hit it right in the heart of the run and others the run has yet to happen. It is all weather/water dependant. This year is shapping up to be low and clear and that never is a good thing as far as for the safety of the fish, especially now that the DEC has put in place all of those high bank look out pointsalong the seemingly endless shallow water riffs. You know where I am talking about as you will see the guys walking along with their rods at the ready, not fishing mind you but hunting with their polarized glasses.

I wish they would bring back the days when the DOT ran the show. At least then the crews would dig out the gravel and make a few holes for the fish to hide in!!!

Dont get me wrong,but a simple sanction on a stream,one section at a time is really all thats required.Along with all of us policing our ranks,most of us that fish these streams already know they will bite.Its OUR job to help these streams,and our beloved wild bows'.Instead of beating up a dead horse lets try and educate those who may not know any other way.As far as joining an "organization",we dont have too,just agree to dissagree.