Skaneateles reports

Wow.  What a fish.  

Fished Tuesday night n Thursday am.
Tuesday night we slammed em’
Thursday morning couldn’t buy a bite. But I bet Thursday Afternoon was great with that nice wind that rolled up.

Thermocline is set up around 40-45 ft depending on location of the lake.
Marked tons of fish n bait on the west shore mid lake Thursday am.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks for the report Mako!   We ended up going out that saturday and ran our program through the 40-60 ft of water and couldn't buy a fish.  Talked to a guy at the launch who did really well with the Lakers  trolling the bottom.   Has the rainbow/salmon fishing declined in recent years or is it just me?  It seems like big rainbows were "easier" to come by in years past.  Have you noticed similar things?

I have not been out yet this year, but agree the last couple of years have been a bit tougher trolling.  LT are pretty easy, but RT and LLS have been a bit tight lipped.  The last 2 years there were perch fry everywhere, and that makes it tough.  Also, I found that fishing full moon phases can really shut the bite down.  Also feel the clearer the water the better fishing for us. The recreational boat traffic seems to begin earlier and be more intense as well. The fish are there, just have to figure them out.

Yeah the boat traffic is definitely picking up at an earlier time. People were waterskiing within 30 yards of us at 9am ... the boat traffic seems to cause the fishing ( especially for silvers) to shut down very quickly

Yeah the boat traffic is definitely picking up at an earlier time. People were waterskiing within 30 yards of us at 9am ... the boat traffic seems to cause the fishing ( especially for silvers) to shut down very quickly

Weekend boat traffic from 10 am on is usually high. I have picked up a few nice silvers this summer. Skn is a weird lake. You can have the best day of your life, or take your lures for a wash. Fishing was great through mid June.
The last few weeks have been tough, I think because of the unusually hot weather impacting water temps.