Cobra marine radio gps ???

Looking for help. I have a new mr f45-d vhf radio for my boat. When i turn it on the gps does not show anything it just shows all 9,s.  Its not acquiring gps. I thought it had an internal gps. I had an older cobra model that did with no issues? Any recommendations 

Thanks. You are correct. I had to order a cobra external gps that plugs into the back 🤦‍♂️   I assumed for the price they automatically had the internal gps.  

thanks again 

Thanks. You are correct. I had to order a cobra external gps that plugs into the back 🤦‍♂️   I assumed for the price they automatically had the internal gps.  

thanks again 

The gps must have a clear access to the sky. Mounting the radio under the console or in a cabin will make it useless.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Cobra 45D has an input jack for NEMA GPS signal from chart plotter, fishfinder GPS combo. Radio can be mounted in an enclosed location and the DSC will work fine.  I’ve had a Cobra 45D in the radio box on my hardtop for 10 years-no problems with DSC or gps numbers on radio as signal is coming from my chart plotter.  Enclosing a radio with a internal GPS and antenna could be a problem if antenna couldn’t read satellites.  

Thanks.  I bought that external gps from cobra that plugs into the back of it.  See how that works.  I have a older garmin chart plotter that i like.  However im not sure it’s compatible.   

Thanks again 

You should be all set with the Cobra Positioning System.  That plugs in the same place the jack and short input wire that should have come with radio for NMEA 0183 data.  The NMEA data is standard between manufacturers so likely your Garmin has a NMEA output.  Save that input jack in case you change chart plotter and want to wire it to radio.  I think it is a 3 wire connection if my memory is correct.  The way you are setup now is as good or better than wiring in a different device.