Otisco Muskie

How was it?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Excellent. We soak in milk for a few days. Cube the meat like a chicken nugget. Flour then milk then breadcrumbs. Fry in butter or oil. Use salt pepper and onion powder spice. Little kids eat like crazy

Too bad it will never make it to 40" or greater.

I fish to feed my family. Not to create trophy’s for somebody’s wall. 36 inch is legal size and I’m not going to feed into it. It was my catch and if you feel negatively towards my choice to feed my family then don’t comment

• Like 8

You didnt do anything outside of regulations. It isnt a choice i would make, but you can do what you want. As im sure you are aware, almost all serious muskie fisherman are conservation minded and practice catch and release. You had to know what you were asking for by posting a pic of a muskie in a cooler on a muskie message board. If you don’t want to see comments about releasing the fish then you probably shouldn’t post the pics here.

• Like 3

Don’t be ashamed to be proud of a legal catch.  You had every right to keep it. It’s when a fish is kept just for bragging rights and foolishly wasted afterwards that is shameful.

Thank you. That is why it’s not a trophy on my wall. He was cut up and fried up for my grandkids who enjoy eating what they catch

First off, BassMrs.ster, I am not trying to bash you or anything like that. Us musky anglers are just concerned about muskies and tiger muskies being kept because there are so few waters in NY that hold them, and there is an increasing amount of angling pressure on them. This makes it increasingly important to do what we can to minimize their mortality.

The point is that tigers are stocked and maintained in that lake as a sport fish. The size limit was recently raised in order to discourage keeping them and to help the lake become a trophy tiger musky lake. It also helps relieve the angling pressure on the few waters in NY that support purebred muskies because they take a much longer time to reach trophy size.

Anglers come to Otisco lake for the experience of catching those fish and that helps justify the cost and effort of stocking them in the lake, because they spend money locally while they are there. That helps support the local businesses as well as the local tax base which in turn helps the residents.

Fortunately, the greater majority of anglers who fish for them take great care not to harm them or cause excessive stress and do their best to release them unharmed so they live to grow and provide another great experience for another angler. Many of those anglers are youths who will have a very memorable experience.

I know it is completely within your rights to keep and eat a legal size fish. But it looks like you also are thrilled and proud to catch such a large fish since you posted a picture of it on this board. And it is true that there are a lot of them in the lake but not so many of that size or larger. And I bet you would be even more thrilled if one day you catch one that is 48 inches. That is a big reason why most musky anglers release all their muskies.

There are a lot of walleye in that lake which are stocked by the state in much greater numbers and they grow to legal size faster than tiger muskies. Walleye, as I am sure you know, is a better eating fish and it is a primary reason why they are stocked and people fish for them. So could you please consider trying not to keep tiger muskies for food if you are able to catch enough walleye to feed your family? Then someday, who knows, you may get that 48 incher and post a picture of it here and a release photo is even more satisfying.

Also, if you need to increase your success with walleye, I am sure Justin or others on this board or the Otisco or walleye boards can give you some tips.

Edited by muskiedreams
spelling
  • Like 1

First off, BassMrs.ster, I am not trying to bash you or anything like that. Us musky anglers are just concerned about muskies and tiger muskies being kept because there are so few waters in NY that hold them, and there is an increasing amount of angling pressure on them. This makes it increasingly important to do what we can to minimize their mortality.

The point is that tigers are stocked and maintained in that lake as a sport fish. The size limit was recently raised in order to discourage keeping them and to help the lake become a trophy tiger musky lake. It also helps relieve the angling pressure on the few waters in NY that support purebred muskies because they take a much longer time to reach trophy size.

Anglers come to Otisco lake for the experience of catching those fish and that helps justify the cost and effort of stocking them in the lake, because they spend money locally while they are there. That helps support the local businesses as well as the local tax base which in turn helps the residents.

Fortunately, the greater majority of anglers who fish for them take great care not to harm them or cause excessive stress and do their best to release them unharmed so they live to grow and provide another great experience for another angler. Many of those anglers are youths who will have a very memorable experience.

I know it is completely within your rights to keep and eat a legal size fish. But it looks like you also are thrilled and proud to catch such a large fish since you posted a picture of it on this board. And it is true that there are a lot of them in the lake but not so many of that size or larger. And I bet you would be even more thrilled if one day you catch one that is 48 inches. That is a big reason why most musky anglers release all their muskies.

There are a lot of walleye in that lake which are stocked by the state in much greater numbers and they grow to legal size faster than tiger muskies. Walleye, as I am sure you know, is a better eating fish and it is a primary reason why they are stocked and people fish for them. So could you please consider trying not to keep tiger muskies for food if you are able to catch enough walleye to feed your family? Then someday, who knows, you may get that 48 incher and post a picture of it here and a release photo is even more satisfying.

Also, if you need to increase your success with walleye, I am sure Justin or others on this board or the Otisco or walleye boards can give you some tips.

[/

22 hours ago, Ivan said:

You didnt do anything outside of regulations. It isnt a choice i would make, but you can do what you want. As im sure you are aware, almost all serious muskie fisherman are conservation minded and practice catch and release. You had to know what you were asking for by posting a pic of a muskie in a cooler on a muskie message board. If you don’t want to see comments about releasing the fish then you probably shouldn’t post the pics here.

X2

Mrsbass..don't be bothered by the negative comments...as some have said you did nothing wrong...the put a "keeper size limit" on fish to KEEP. Besides they are a hybrid so they are not going to reproduce....they are a put and keep fish....having said that I don't have a problem with catch and release either. Most of these negative nancies are trophy only deer hunters and complain when someone shoots a small 6 point buck...congrats to an awesome grandmother fisher person...I'd loce to be in the same boat!

• Like 1

Mrsbass..don't be bothered by the negative comments...as some have said you did nothing wrong...the put a "keeper size limit" on fish to KEEP. Besides they are a hybrid so they are not going to reproduce....they are a put and keep fish....having said that I don't have a problem with catch and release either. Most of these negative nancies are trophy only deer hunters and complain when someone shoots a small 6 point buck...congrats to an awesome grandmother fisher person...I'd loce to be in the same boat!

Thank you! We have fished this lake for many years and I have actually caught many trophy worthy bass and walleye. We usually keep what we catch for the family. Trying to teach the kiddos that some are better to go back. This was my first Tiger and I was pretty psyched to actually reel it in. We mainly go for pan fish because they are easy for the kids to catch and a healthy meal.

• Like 2