Sportcraft 270 coastal fisherman

I’m looking at upsizing to a 1987 sportcraft coastal that a friend of a friend has. The boat is in overall good shape but needs some trim work and the moldings replaced around the windows (if anyone has ideas on where to buy those at I’d be much appreciative). My question is the boat currently has very little gear on it and as it sits in the slip it appears a little bow heavy. It’s got a merc 260 (gm 350) mid mount engine. So I was wondering if they are known to sit nose down a bit. Also how hard is it to hook a kicker up on one? It’s got a bracket on transom but curious about tying in the fuel lines and throttle controls etc. lastly is there anywhere that I could get the full specs on this boat and/or buy replacement parts such as hatches, windows etc? Thank you for your time 

Yes they are bow heavy , Kicker is going to set you back a bit $ , decent 10-15 hp 4 stroke - separate  controls ,fuel line gets teed into main fuel line  and hooked up to a autopilot. Since its a inboard you cannot connect to a outdrive so your only choice is autopilot . Probably have to get in touch with Taylor for glass and hatches are usually Bomar which can be found on EBay along with rubber window molding. Boat companies outsource pretty much everything but the hull ,so google or ebay/Amazon will be your best bet for locating specific parts. 99% of boats do not have a actual owners manual so boating forums are your best resource for specific info , Iboats and the hulltruth.com are decent sites. Lastly I would have it surveyed and let them know that's your biggest concern.  At the very least triple check the transom and the stringers for rot. They are known for that , dock neighbor has a 25 and after be bought it discovered the stringers were internally falling apart , So tapping and listening for a dull dud sound or removing some screws or driliing into a few spots and taking a small pick to remove the shavings to see if there mush is going to tell you a lot. Maybe see of anyone has a moisture meter that would also work without drilling holes.

Bob’s advice on a survey is spot on - money well spent to check the structure for stringer/ transom issues.  If they haven’t been replaced they likely will need it on that vintage of boat.  Easy to get “upside down” on older boats if you don’t know exactly what to look for.  3rd party surveyor report takes the emotion out of the purchase.  Drivetrain needs a good look too, a single 260 on this size boat is on the light side.

If you post some pictures of transom, engine setup and bracket on boat, likely guys can comment on how to setup kicker.  Glad you are set with stringers and structure.  The comments about needing window, trim, hatch, and molding work are all areas of moisture entrance and from experience can lead to deeper issues. Hope it works out for you.

• Like 1

If you have a hynautic steering system ,yes you can hook up to a I/O. If you have a power steering pump ,like on a car it won't work. Try turning the wheel on your car with the motor off ,same thing on boat. Unless you idle the big motor which would be self defeating. Are you trying to save gas ? keep hours down on the 260 or concerned about trolling speed.?

Thanks, the window trim that’s needing replaced has been siliconed once it started peeling. It doesn’t currently leak, I’m just kind of a stickler for things looking clean and right. The boats not perfect by any means but I have an ‘86 PennYan 21’ that the guy wants to trade for because he wants a trailerable boat and I need something a little bigger so that’s the deal. He just paid Mikes Marina in Mexico to replace the engine. 

Probably take you 10-15 years to recoup your investment on a kicker. The 350 is going to burn 1-1/2 GPH at troll . The kicker 1 GPH maybe a bit less , Depends on how much you get out , and you have a new engine which in theory should be trouble free . Between the radio, cell and Tow USA [ insurance for that is around 150 per year ] or whatever may be in your area I would lean that way. Or I would buy a older 2 stroke and put it on for emergency's and not bother with remote controls , you can buy a tiller extension and store a 3 gallon gas tank in the bilge if need be. I would also rather listen to the 350 idling along than a kicker running at 1/2 throttle going in and out of the water all day long ,but that could be a matter of personal preference. This is just food for thought and if you really want a kicker have at it !

I have previously owned a 2001 Sportcraft 272. I had a few of the sliding windows that had disintegrated gaskets. Could never find them anywhere. After I sold it I ran across a company that had the exact right thing. Try an outfit called Pompanette LLC. They specialize in marine window gaskets in seals.
As for the kicker, i had a Yamaha T 9.9 XPA on it. The 25 in shaft worked great and it was quiet and smooth. Worked well up to 3 ft waves than it struggled after that. Burned almost no fuel. If I would do it today, I would go with the 15 hp merc with EFI. Low noise and low vibration makes a 5 hr trolling morning much more enjoyable. If I want to hear engine noise and vibration I will stand by the highway and wait for a Harley to go by.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app