Tyee

I was trying to figure out the last time a 30lb fish has come over the gunnels. When I did the math I couldn’t help but be a little shocked that it has been seven years. Any doubt that the winters of 2014 and 2015 would have a lasting effect have been erased from my mind. The mild winter this past year and super warm summer should have a good effect on bait numbers. I am starting to see algae blooms on satellite images of the lake which I have not seen since 2013. Lake Erie smelt have rebounded this year so here’s hoping lady Ontario is on a course to start spitting out 30’s with more regularity. 

• Like 2

2013 was the last season we boated a 30lb king too.  The 2020 summer LOC kings were better than the past two seasons for sure.  I boated a 26 and change that placed 5th in the 2018 summer LOC.  Last week we boated a 28.07 that took 9th.  That 26 and change would not have made the top 20 this year..  Hopefully a warm winter is in store and the bait can rebound more.  

Edited by GAMBLER

There is a theory, less bait-hungry fish-easier to catch. Also, I think we have had some good natural reproduction on kings to supplement the reduced stockings. I have caught more three year olds this year than any year I can remember, and yet I have not cracked 22 lbs.