I've decided to take the day off from work Friday and make the 3hr trek to the lake. I have never fished the lake for salmon before apart from fishing the mouth of the Salmon river during the run. So the question is how do I get started? I have an 18' tracker with  2 manual riggers, I set up 2 rods with wire for divers and my buddy is bringing a copper setup. I have flasher flies, meat rigs and spoons. I do not have a fish hawk so Im guessing for temp. I can fish out of Mexico or Oswego but I really have no idea what to do after the boats in the water. Do you guys normally head out to a particular depth and set up or do you kinda cruise around looking for marks and then send out the gear? Also what would you send out for a starting spread? 

Pretty much no matter what I’d be parking a white meat rig with white flasher at 90’. 

id start at 100’ and troll out leaning toward the plant from Mexico point. Go to about 250-300 and see what marks you get and adjust to the best depth. I run two high spoons (typically wonder bread and green emerald) about 20’ down on boards. Then dipsey rods flasher flies and meat rigs on riggers. 

again, white MR with white flasher out fishes every other bait I have 3:1. 

Edited by Offshore IV

Good morning Gregger. I run a small rig with pretty much the same set up. Let me just start by saying it's not easy but the reward is off the hook. Getting everything set is the easy part. You're 1st hookup will make you want a bigger boat. Lol. I stick to 4 rods with 1 passenger, sometimes 2 depending on lake conditions. You'll hear alot of debate about temp this time of year, focus on the marks, although I like to find temp breaks when possible. Usually try to keep gear just above marks, with one rigger tight to bottom with a spoon for the occasional brown or laker. Tried running core down the slew a few times but was too much to deal with. Run speeds between 2 and 3, lots of S turns, and a ton of patience. Too much to tell, you'll figure it out. Just a precaution, be sure you keep an eye on the sky, make sure you're crew are familiar with safety protocol, and don't leave your comfort zone. Not trying to tell you what to do, but that lake has no mercy. Good luck, be safe, and have a blast.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Lake Ontario United mobile app

39 minutes ago, Gregger300 said:

I've decided to take the day off from work Friday and make the 3hr trek to the lake. I have never fished the lake for salmon before apart from fishing the mouth of the Salmon river during the run. So the question is how do I get started? I have an 18' tracker with  2 manual riggers, I set up 2 rods with wire for divers and my buddy is bringing a copper setup. I have flasher flies, meat rigs and spoons. I do not have a fish hawk so Im guessing for temp. I can fish out of Mexico or Oswego but I really have no idea what to do after the boats in the water. Do you guys normally head out to a particular depth and set up or do you kinda cruise around looking for marks and then send out the gear? Also what would you send out for a 

I have the exact set up as you. Im out of rochester so im not sure depths, but here I start in 110, drop the riggers to 65 and 70 with spoons or FF and start NE toward deeper water looking for marks or bait. Fish the marks. Once riggers set i put dipseys back 175 and 220 and i use meat rigs every day without exception...they are my best producers. 10 color and copper out next. Both have glow spoons. I don't slam them like the pros out in 300 feet, but I do well enough to be busy. 

I was out of mexico yesterday and it was a tough day. Didnt move a rod. I have a probe and couldn’t find temp down 140ft in 160fow. If i was fishing tomarrow I would drop meat rig at 100ft on rigger and setup in160fow of water and keep trolling into deeper water.  From there I would adjust my depths to the marks.  Its a long haul to that kinda depth out of mexico.  8ish miles probly.  Maybe Oswego is a better choice after what I seen yesterday temp wise in mexico. 

theres a small craft advisory for today and tonight.  That means with west blow temp is probly gonna out even further.  Just my 2cents

• Like 1

Fwiw....I can see the temp/thermocline on my garmin fishfinder most of the time.  Not sure u need a fish hawk to find a temperature break.  That being said most fish I’ve marked/caught the last couple times out have been above the temperature break.

1 hour ago, Jomat said:

Fwiw....I can see the temp/thermocline on my garmin fishfinder most of the time.  Not sure u need a fish hawk to find a temperature break.  That being said most fish I’ve marked/caught the last couple times out have been above the temperature break.

I have a Garmin. What does the temp break look like?

If I were you I would run one flasher each on each rigger fishing the marks 

As deep as try the fish are .  25 to 35 lead 20 apart vertically . 

And a mag spoon On each dipsey set on 1.5 back a long way or fish the marks 

And I love my white flashers .

White rocks . 

And turn a lot ,  s curves so you lures are going the right speed at least some of the time . 

Edited by HB2

1 hour ago, Gregger300 said:

I have a Garmin. What does the temp break look like?

image.thumb.jpeg.a64d70d9e5c3d17c777b14f048028a63.jpeg
If you look at the top of the screen you see a clean (white) return in the water column.  Down around 20’ you start to see the blue cloudy return (cold water has a higher density...density is what ur fishfinder is measuring).  I interpret this as the temperature break and it’s been pretty consistent at 80’-120’ out in Ontario the last couple weekends over deep water....same place where all the fishhawk guys are saying they’re measuring it.  This pic was taken out at Erie in June...walleyes going chomp chomp.

image.thumb.jpeg.a64d70d9e5c3d17c777b14f048028a63.jpeg
If you look at the top of the screen you see a clean (white) return in the water column.  Down around 20’ you start to see the blue cloudy return (cold water has a higher density...density is what ur fishfinder is measuring).  I interpret this as the temperature break and it’s been pretty consistent at 80’-120’ out in Ontario the last couple weekends over deep water....same place where all the fishhawk guys are saying they’re measuring it.  This pic was taken out at Erie in June...walleyes going chomp chomp.

Is that one of the echo map models? How do you like the garmin? I have read they are very easy to operate ?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

34 minutes ago, wallysackett said:

Is that one of the echo map models? How do you like the garmin? I have read they are very easy to operate ?

It’s actually a striker....same sonar as the echomap but really cheesy mapping and no touch screen.  I actually didn’t want a touch screen cause they kind of suck with ur boat pitching around.  I use my iPad/navionics for mapping.  Much cheaper than an echomap....more screen.  Love the garmin, easy to use...the sonar picture shown is the factory settings.  Would def recommend side imaging if ur a walleye fisherman.  Big thing with the echomaps is they are panoptix compatible (got one of those too for ice fishing/trolling motor).

I am also going to be fishing this area for the first time later in August.  It looks like from the map that if you need to get to deeper water to find temp that it is a shorter ride out of Oswego to get there?  Or is it still better to start in Mexico and work your way out?

It’s actually a striker....same sonar as the echomap but really cheesy mapping and no touch screen.  I actually didn’t want a touch screen cause they kind of suck with ur boat pitching around.  I use my iPad/navionics for mapping.  Much cheaper than an echomap....more screen.  Love the garmin, easy to use...the sonar picture shown is the factory settings.  Would def recommend side imaging if ur a walleye fisherman.  Big thing with the echomaps is they are panoptix compatible (got one of those too for ice fishing/trolling motor).

Thank you for the feedback, will be buying something soon!!

1 hour ago, Squad41 said:

I am also going to be fishing this area for the first time later in August.  It looks like from the map that if you need to get to deeper water to find temp that it is a shorter ride out of Oswego to get there?  Or is it still better to start in Mexico and work your way out?

Yes oswego is a much closer ride for deep water.  Things change day to day. Keep an eye on the reports and make ur decision the day before.  Its like when deciding to fish the lake. U watch the weather, everything is good and make plans, thEn the day before u go, it changes and blows 20knot out of the west.  Lol

I bought the fishhawk so i could tell how fast my stickbaits were running... knowing the current below you can add to the box production...

Well we gave it a shot Friday and only got one small atlantic. Headed NW from the break wall and started in 100’. Marked fish right away but no takers. Ran a white meat rig at 100 and a carbon 14 at 80 on the riggers. FFs on the divers 200 and 250 back. NOTHIN!
Mixed up the offerings and depths out to 350 fow until about 1pm when we called it.
The atlantic took a 42nd spoon in silver.
Not the best catch but a great day! Sure beats workin! Thanks again for all the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

OSWEGO in bad weather check those waves I believe they were 25 footers, this from the harbor.
768FBBCF-2037-40DD-9E34-9A8BF5C8DFDB.jpeg.65487b71af2d508951d581021f134a13.jpeg

At one point I thought about going out further because I saw several other boats fishing in what I guessed to be around 600 fow but the waves had been building all morning and I don’t have a lot of experience out there so I figured Id play it safe. By the time we left it was pretty choppy and we had a wet ride in. Waves were much bigger than the 0-.5 ft forecast...no surprise there!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app