Took off work to take my son and his friend Stephen, the one who couldn't go with us last time, fishing for salmon. With the recent unstable weather and the poor fishing reports, I wasn't too confident about our chances. Started fishing around 5:30pm. Had the boys let out the two dipsy divers- mag set on 1 let out to 190 with a green dolphin spoon, the other was size 1, set on 3 let out to 280 with a FF. Once those were out let out the 350 copper and as I'm putting the planer board on, it gets hit so give the rod to my son's friend, but then fish lets go. At least it was a good sign I hoped. Set up a deep downrigger with a FF. Was going to set up a leadcore but I'm still very new to copper so didn't want to complicate things for myself. We started trolling in about 140ft and had some marks. Took a while but rigger finally goes off and I could tell it was a laker. Gave the rod to my son's friend and he brings in a nice one. Take a picture and let the laker free. He was excited but I told him that's nothing till you get a salmon.I moved to deeper water to get some colder temps. Noticed the current was stronger in 200 and my rods had that nice bend. I started contemplating changing the mag dispy out for a 3 color core off a downrigger when the mag gets hit and starts peeling line so I know this isn't another laker. The fish came right towards the boat after making his run and I thought for sure we lost him, but we reeled up and when we got it close to the boat we could tell he was still on. My son did a nice job netting the fish and I felt I could relax a little now. Next the rigger goes off again but no fish. Bring up the DR to reset and then the other dispy goes off and this time my son takes the rod and this salmon gives us a better fight. Netted that one and saw the sun was starting to set. Asked the boys if they wanted to call it a night and they said, no, let's stay here; Ok, set up the dispy and the downrigger again but no further action. Got the boat out just as darkness set in.

IMG_0079.thumb.jpg.802ef61a21b19dd6dcf320976251f524.jpg

IMG_0078.thumb.jpg.d1239d738e1cc4682bd29948b0518f73.jpg

IMG_0080.thumb.jpg.db5e7eb3eb34b06afd82fce53d711c82.jpg

• Like 11

Great work! We were out last night too, only had one salmon hit that tangled every rod in the boat, and swam to the bow, attempted netting it off the bow and it swam back through down rigger rods and crossed lines and broke, looked like a 20+. Temps and currents were all over the place. found 48 degree water down 90 in 102' of water but that wasn't consistent, small pockets of cold water all over the place but very patchy. Awesome screen at 100' of water but we didn't find that patch until 8:45 PM. Seems like you guys found good water in 200', I should have checked further out.

5 hours ago, Great_Laker said:

Great work! We were out last night too, only had one salmon hit that tangled every rod in the boat, and swam to the bow, attempted netting it off the bow and it swam back through down rigger rods and crossed lines and broke, looked like a 20+. Temps and currents were all over the place. found 48 degree water down 90 in 102' of water but that wasn't consistent, small pockets of cold water all over the place but very patchy. Awesome screen at 100' of water but we didn't find that patch until 8:45 PM. Seems like you guys found good water in 200', I should have checked further out.

Thanks !I usually set up in 130ft but yesterday I had no idea. Thought about going way out in 300-400 ft.