My son is going to Lake Erie walleye fishing, their preferred method is trolling plugs. He wants to try targeting Steelies. What would be his best bet, I have whatever he would need but not sure where to get him started. Dodgers/plugs, flashers/flies, what color spoons/size, dipseys, leadcore, any and all help is very much welcome. Also what depth or temp would he bee looking for. 

I fish Lake O ... so not sure if it all applies.

I catch more steels on spoons than anything else. Try all kinds of colors, but green, blue is probably where I'd start.  My favorite is the 42nd spoon, regular (3") and 4" for kings by the way.

They are definitely higher in the water column than kings. We often catch then in 52F water.  I know Erie is shallower, so that may change things up ... you probably have warmer water top to bottom.

Speed may be an issue, I think you go slower for Walleye ... for steels about 2.5 mph is normally where we start and then go up/down 0.5 mph from there.

Spoons like DW Super Slim size off a downrigger or diver seem to take more steelhead for me on Lake Erie than plugs. Fish them in same water as you would for walleye and you can catch both.  Steelhead tend to be more of a “bonus” fish on Lake Erie.  I have been getting about 1 a trip lately out of Dunkirk.