Cayuga 8/8

Hot Jigging bite this morning north of Long Point. Lakers of all sizes, a 24” brown, and a 22” male landlocked made it to the boat. Jigging plastic paddle tails did it in 65-75 fow. Best color plastic today was a pink/blue but all colors got bites. The landlocked has no fin clips, could it be wild? Couldn’t release him after the fight/hookset so I’m hoping it was a stockie  Picture below of the salmon headed for the grill

77077042-EC48-466C-AFC1-F9CC77FA1D80.jpeg

• Like 2

Beautiful fish do you jig right on bottom?

Sent from my SM-A505U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

It is my understanding that the state is not currently fin clipping any salmon stocked in New York. In the past no natural reproduction took place with Landlocked Salmon due to thiamine deficiency - lack of vitamin B1 needed for reproduction. It is also my understanding that do to the sudden increase in the Goby population as a food source this could be changing. This bait source has a chemical called thiamine in them similar to smelt that could be changing possible reproduction in the future. Currently one of the major food sources for Salmon is Alewife. This food source has a chemical in it that breaks down the B1 vitamin therefore it makes it very difficult for them to reproduce. It just depends on how much of a particular food source the salmon is eating year to year.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

19 hours ago, Fishbowl836 said:

It is my understanding that the state is not currently fin clipping any salmon stocked in New York. In the past no natural reproduction took place with Landlocked Salmon due to thiamine deficiency - lack of vitamin B1 needed for reproduction. It is also my understanding that do to the sudden increase in the Goby population as a food source this could be changing. This bait source has a chemical called thiamine in them similar to smelt that could be changing possible reproduction in the future. Currently one of the major food sources for Salmon is Alewife. This food source has a chemical in it that breaks down the B1 vitamin therefore it makes it very difficult for them to reproduce. It just depends on how much of a particular food source the salmon is eating year to year.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Interesting.  Has there been any reports of successful reproduction in the wild on any stocked Finger lakes?  It could really change the fish population in great ways.