Owasco 8/8/20

Sounds good. This was a day trip. Mainly scenic ride but I figured why not pull a spoon.

When I come in later this month I will go for that elusive eye. Would you recommend sticks or spoons on the eyes? 

Beautiful rainbow Stillwater I've been trying hard but not been able to put it together. Lyk2fish has been an inspiration to get back out fishing for trout and eyes again. My wife and I had good luck on Lake trout earlier but the last few times have been frustrating even with the fishhawk and lighter line... not giving up tho!!! Thanks for posting!! Tight lines!!! Longtime Fisherman...

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

Thanks Long Time, I did a bit of zigzaging to change up the presentation a bit. I think it helped (lyk2fish has a spaghetti map on his plotter 🍝). My approach is to start with sound advice and tweak from there. I have no way to measure the thermocline so I went with a guess based on 47 to 52 input from lyk2fish. It is a puzzle. My speed on my Lowrance was about 2.5 mph. I need 2 small drift socks to get speed control.

Edited by Stillwater

Stillwater thanks for the reply, the drift sock is a great idea I think it will give you more control... what size stinger spoon are you using? How do you rig your Dipsy divers? So many questions!! Any help that your willing to share would be very much appreciated! It's been frustrating not being able to put it together the last few times out....  Tight lines!!!  Long time fisherman...

Hi Long time, yes the drift socks work great for speed control. My boat has a base speed of 3.2 mph. The socks get me down to 1.8 to 2. From there I can adjust up for desired trout speeds.

I have two types of divers... the Dipsy brand with the rings and the Deep Diver brand which are solid plastic and no rings. The Deep Divers seem to stay set better while trolling. The one I caught the rainbow on was black. Gold color works well for walleye to.

FYI... I usually drift for walleye on Erie with bottom bouncers and harnesses and troll with my divers only when the wind is too light to drift.

My setup is based on walleye, I have cabelas dipsey rods and line counter reels. Not expensive at all compared to some. I use 16 pound test Berkley mono to the dipsy and about 6 to 8 feet of fluorocarbon 14 # test to a ball bearing swivel at my lure. I was using a light snubber at the dipsy on Owasco just in case I got lucky on a really big fish.

For a spoon I had a small Michigan Stinger in chartreuse, silver and blue. I will include a picture.

20200808_180920.jpg

Also... the Diver I was using is a number 4. It is 4 inches in diameter. Easy to remember. On a 3 setting with 100 feet of line out i was down to about 50 fow. From what I am reading I think 90 feet of line is a better starting point this time of summer temps? I am no expert, that would be lyk2fish, but I enjoy sharing what little I know.
Here is a picture of my "Deeper Diver". The size 003 Dipsy with the ring is similar in size.Image.jpegImage%20(1).jpeg

Sent from my SM-G975U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Stillwater, thanks for posting!!! I really like the looks of that lure... I'll be checking bass pro and get some ordered.. I have a size 0 Dipsy in sort of a fire tiger but haven't use it very much. What size are you using and how deep do you estimate you were fishing.. I'm 76 and not able to spend a lot of time on the water so I get 2-3 hours now and then and appreciate all the help you and Lyk2fish have offered! Tight lines!!

I suggest to keep it simple get one rod setup and have fun experimenting with the depth, trolling speed and location on the lake. You will get a rainbow i am sure of it. Seems like a lot of fish are taken over 140 fow or so. Good luck!

I think I got that one at Basspro? I think they have one with chartreuse/ copper/blue and copper on underside model XCH77. Look for that. Lyk2fish also said copper color was also working for him. Or maybe blue with silver on underside? I think I saw both of these on the Stinger website in scorpion size. I would also try longer spoons.

On 8/8/2020 at 7:36 PM, lyk2fish said:
You bet Stillwater,  go get um! That's a great bow......now you need an eye......7 till dark or first light till about 7 am is a great time.

I did just that yesterday morning. Using black super slims with silver ladder fifty feet down over 120 feet at 2.2 at the ball. It yielded 2 29 inch eyes within 30 minutes. If you know Owasco Lake well, it is a great place for large fish. Having caught these 2 seven plus pound beauties I left the area where they hang out and went over to where I like to get some rainbows.IMG_0183.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Edited by rolmops
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1