Hughes 8-8-20 (great day on the pond)

Three of us aboard the Admiral Byrd boat left Hughes about 6:20 AM and immediately motored out to 730 ft of water. We figured based on the reports of a lack of action in closer and some inactive fish we'd explore the depths. We fished until about 2 PM or so. We never marked any bait at all and only about 3 or 4 fish on the screen. It is an example of not totally depending on marks or bait sometimes.

We had 2 doubles, a king hooked by the tail that jumped about 3 ft or more into the air, 1 steelhead (released), 7 kings kept (biggest in the 20 range), released another 4 fish, lost4 hit n runs and had a large duolock (from the back of a Spin Doc fail with the king taking a huge run that took one of my homemade green and white flies home with him. Everything  accounted for fish except the 10 color leadcore. (riggers with spoons, wires with Spin Docs/flies (white flies were best followed by greens). Most fish came from about 100 ft down regardless of presentation (riggers with magnum sized spoons for most part) with the exception of the 300 copper running a magnum spoon at about 60 ft or so. There was a considerable amount of current and although our speed indicated 1.8 the lines told a different story about the speed of the lures as the lines were at about 60 degree angle much of the time. When we ended fishing we were 14.7 miles out in the 700's and most of the time was spent out there. Sometimes it pays to break away from the pack:smile: Oh and did I mention about Bob's leadcore?:lol:

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1771.jpg

IMG_1769.jpg

bobsmess.jpg

doublingup.jpg

bob1.jpg

les1.jpg

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Great job, Les! We also ran offshore on Sunday morning, to a less enthusiastic audience. The washing machine of rollers from the NW and caps from the SW didn't help. I suspect that we should have kept going, as we dropped in at the 27 line and fished North for four hours, ending up just beyond the 30. It was a long, bouncy ride back, but Wellcraft did it right when they designed our boat, and we made 25 mph into a 3 foot chop. We ended 4/6, with three small salmon and a steelhead. 

Yes Keith luckily we had just a very small chop and it still took us 42 minutes to get back in at 3/4 throttle:lol: Even saw a freighter out in the shipping lane. I was thinking maybe I should have brought an application for Canadian citizenship with me (just in case):smile:

Yes Keith luckily we had just a very small chop and it still took us 42 minutes to get back in at 3/4 throttle:lol: Even saw a freighter out in the shipping lane. I was thinking maybe I should have brought an application for Canadian citizenship with me (just in case):smile:

Nothing on the screen? Most graphs are set up for shallow water fishing. Deeper fish will not show up in the screen unless your graph is set up to probe deeper with its frequency and pulse length changed.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Bob has a real nice Furuno with matched transducer and if there were fish under us it would have shown. We have seen this before too out there. The fish are dispersed and there wasn't any bait to congregate them out there. I have no idea what they were doing out there other than perhaps "looking" for food. Nearly all turned out to be males and not much in their stomachs aside from a Finger Lakes size sawbelly (4 inch?) in one.

Edited by Sk8man

5 hours ago, Gator said:

Great job, Les! We also ran offshore on Sunday morning, to a less enthusiastic audience. The washing machine of rollers from the NW and caps from the SW didn't help. I suspect that we should have kept going, as we dropped in at the 27 line and fished North for four hours, ending up just beyond the 30. It was a long, bouncy ride back, but Wellcraft did it right when they designed our boat, and we made 25 mph into a 3 foot chop. We ended 4/6, with three small salmon and a steelhead. 

I also ran out to 725' out of Hughes on Sunday.  We went 2/4 (one SCREAMER on the wire and after three runs, it just kept running as the leader broke off, and the other one we did not land was a small steelie but it gave us quite the acrobatic show before throwing the hook), the one we kept was an 11lb salmon and the last one was put back to grow bigger.  We had lines in at 6:15 and lines up at 10:15.

You guys were pretty darned motivated to be out there in that chop. who knows where they will be next....a lot of the fishing thus far this season has been sort of a riddle.

Les didn't talk about us switching sides of the boat because I have the "BETTER" side and he didn't complain about me singing here fishy, fishy, fishy after we started hooking them!!!!

It was spectacular weather and fishing, when the chaos started I hit Man Over Board on the GPS and when it finally settled down we had covered 2.54 miles - thats awesome fishing!

We had a plan to go that far Sunday but the chop was less than comfortable we started at 250 and trolled out to 570 good marks till 450 nothing after with no action at that point the temp started to do deeper so we turned back to fish the marks we say ended up 2 for 5 with a very dark 15# king in 500 and a small Steelie in 270 slow day overall seemed like the currents were shifting a lot out there as we kept having to change angles and tweak speeds. Oh well still nice to get out

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Nice to see a Hughes report. I had a camp there for about 20yrs. Many great fishing experiences.

I thought I would throw out a little advise. If the salmon are turning black,circle the wreck.....If I

recall its 119FOW..Should be a marker on it.

• Like 1

Nice to see a Hughes report. I had a camp there for about 20yrs. Many great fishing experiences.
I thought I would throw out a little advise. If the salmon are turning black,circle the wreck.....If I
recall its 119FOW..Should be a marker on it.

Some even say if you turn your fish hawk display on when over it you’ll get a down temp.....,., some probes might be in Davy Jones locker....

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app