Dipsys

Got it, thank you!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Dipseys have a tilt problem with high drag lures. The pull of some deep divers pull the angle of the diver up reducing its depth considerable . You
May be better off using a bottom bouncer to hold deep water depths.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2020 at 7:07 PM, KilliansRed said:

IMG_0809.JPG

Here’s a handy chart, much more accurate than the one included with the divers.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Thanks for this chart, very helpful!!  The question I have is why mess with wire when braid is almost as effective at achieving depth?  Is SPEED the main factor missing from this chart?   Is that where wire will stay down where braid will float up at higher speeds necessary for salmon?  

4 minutes ago, ErieBuck said:

Thanks for this chart, very helpful!!  The question I have is why mess with wire when braid is almost as effective at achieving depth?  Is SPEED the main factor missing from this chart?   Is that where wire will stay down where braid will float up at higher speeds necessary for salmon?  

braid = flea problems

• Like 1

I think remember seeing somewhere that the chart was based on 2 mph but not sure where I saw it. Braid and wire both accrue fleas to some degree but they seem easier to get off from wire. The fishhook fleas are much more difficult to get off both than the spiny type. Both wire and braid have their their strengths and it is mainly a matter of personal preference when all things are considered but after trying to pry a ton of fishhook fleas off braid in the past I stick with wire:lol:.

• Like 1

The dominant fleas in Lake Erie are a different strain than in Lake Ontario. In Lake Erie you can fish 15lb on riggers and braid on  divers all season as the fleas pretty much fall off the line.  On Lake Ontario you need heavy mono or sea flea line on riggers and wire divers to counter the fleas.  I also feel that over 50 foot target depth and higher speeds on Lake Ontario that wire has an advantage especially pulling attractors over braid.  Some also feel that the “signature” in the water of wire gives more productivity over braid also.  On Lake Erie I use braid all season as it is more forgiving especially for less experienced anglers.  On Lake Ontario wire wins with flea resistance, higher speed at deeper depths.

2 minutes ago, mr 580 said:

The dominant fleas in Lake Erie are a different strain than in Lake Ontario. In Lake Erie you can fish 15lb on riggers and braid on  divers all season as the fleas pretty much fall off the line.  On Lake Ontario you need heavy mono or sea flea line on riggers and wire divers to counter the fleas.  I also feel that over 50 foot target depth and higher speeds on Lake Ontario that wire has an advantage especially pulling attractors over braid.  Some also feel that the “signature” in the water of wire gives more productivity over braid also.  On Lake Erie I use braid all season as it is more forgiving especially for less experienced anglers.  On Lake Ontario wire wins with flea resistance, higher speed at deeper depths.

Nice post, thank you Mr. 580.  Do you leader your rigger mono with fluoro?  I used 30 lb mono, no leader, on my last trip and it seemed to perform well with limited fleas and the amount of strikes.  But just curious if adding a fluoro leader (if so what lb test?) could help improve amount of strikes.  I guess I'm mainly talking about spoons off of riggers, because obviously with an attractor and meat or flasher fly there is a leader.

I add a 15' 17lb test fluorocarbon leader. would go even smaller pound test but don't always have experienced guys with me. if you take your time with the fish you will have minimal breakoffs. I used to use 12# test and landed many kings but I had guys that knew what they were doing back then. biggest salmon was 33-6 on 12# test. I use a uni to uni knot and seguar fluorocarbon. Ande mono 40# for fleas.

4 minutes ago, kempie said:

I add a 15' 17lb test fluorocarbon leader. would go even smaller pound test but don't always have experienced guys with me. if you take your time with the fish you will have minimal breakoffs. I used to use 12# test and landed many kings but I had guys that knew what they were doing back then. biggest salmon was 33-6 on 12# test. I use a uni to uni knot and seguar fluorocarbon. Ande mono 40# for fleas.

Thanks Kempie good info -- do you have dedicated spoon rods and dedicated meat rods for your riggers?   don't think I'd want to hook the fluoro leader to a big paddle when switching set ups

no I don't have dedicated rods. you can land a big fish on 17lb test if like I said if you don't hurry. my dad was a great fisherman who always fished with as light a line as possible. I do think the lighter line does make a difference some days. I know what your talking about with the flaser and flys but if your releases are set right and you play the fish until he is tired you will be ok. I do use 25lb test fluorocarbon on my wire slide divers.   

I use fluorocarbon leaders for spoons and small attractors on riggers rods.  For meat rods and big paddles I just run main line mostly as to me that isn’t a stealth presentation.  I do tie my meat heads and twinkies with fluorocarbon leader material. I’m a firm believer that kings will find the weakest link so good knots, terminal tackle, and quality main line/ leader will save money in the long run.

• Like 1

FWIW, I have been using 65# braid all season on my dipsy rods pulling a mag dipsy with the ring on it. The fleas have not been all that bad. Maybe the fleas have not been bad this year, but I have been very happy with it. On the occasion I get a tangle with the rigger, the braid has played much nicer with the mono than wire. No chafing, no cut offs. I will say the braid has been very slippery to untangle though. Also, I have been using the stock eyelet tip on the dipsy rod, so that's a plus too.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1