Trouble with Fishfinder humminbird helix 5

So... i am on year 3 of boat ownership and fishing in general, having some good times but still lots to learn.

When i bought boat new, i had dealer install a (new) Helix 5 DI on boat for me, and its worked pretty well since. Looks a little high for an install to me, but it clears the bunk, and has performed in that position to date.

I've always had trouble with losing bottom above 8-10 mph (probably due to installed height i'd guess), but at trolling speeds its been solid and marks fish and tracks bottom just fine.... until the other day.

While using it on calm water in niagara river just going for a cruise i noticed the depths suddenly stopped tracking appropriately. We were in like 60 feet of water but the FF was either unable to report imaging and depth, or wildly cycling from unknown depth to ~1200 feet and everywhere in between. Stopped marking fish, etc. GPS, nav, temp, etc. completely fine - worked fine all day as well up to that point.

I tried reset to default to no avail. Checked that correct transducer model was entered and it was (even switched to all other selectable transducers just to be safe, no resolution) Reads a steady ~2 ft when turned on in driveway on trailer dry (not sure if that's meaningful though), self test function at start up reports no errors.

I inspected for damage in case something hit it that we didn't see in water, looks good as new, clean, no damage, cracks, or change in position from install (I check regularly to be safe).

Took back out on lake this past saturday, calm as could be, and we ended up just fishing without any sonar (GPS and temp continued to work fine). Tried toggling every setting, checked every connection, no luck.

Not sure if I should be looking at a new transducer or just pack it up and send to factory for eval / repair... of the head unit (or full system)

Everything is out of warranty by now (really frustrating for what these cost)

Anyone have an issue like this?

Thinking I might as well just plan to buy something new and see what mfg says... and if reasonable, repair and sell to pay for replacement.

Interested in thoughts if anyone has them or experiences with humminbird service and warranty.

Thanks for reading this far!20200808_100330.jpeg20200801_204731.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Ooh, thanks for the heads up, ill have to give that a try and see what happens.

Fished blind on saturday, still went 4/8, not sure if i liked being ignorant of what was below me more or less that having full info...[emoji2369]

They actually just put out a big software update, too.  It couldn't hurt.

I had this happen with my Solix last year. First it would just get confused a lot, jumping from "---" to 1200ft then to 0, etc., but would still work most of the time when I was out on water deeper than, say, 5ft. Then I was trolling in 300fow one day and looked at the screen and the rigger ball marks and bait were gone. Just a blank screen, although it still showed depth.I tried every setting and couldn't get it to work again.

Ended up being a bad shoot thru hull transducer. Luckily I had the side imaging transducer to switch over to and see that the unit itself was still working.

Hopefully the software updates are enough to get yours going again. They've all greatly improved the performance on my units.

Software update is unavailable online, reached out to cust service on monday and have yet to hear back from them....

I am 4 months out of warranty.... :(

Thoughts on best replacement unit at sub 800 pricing anyone (gotta use those cabelas gift cards that ive been saving for a rainy day anyway....)?

Humminbird seems to have mixed reviews but best overall of the brands... i dont NEED mega or SI, i only rarely used the DI on current unit...

I also dont have autopilot or trolling motor. Would consider AP, but thats probably long down the road.

I'm thinking of going with garmin echo uhd 93sv.

I do mostly trolling, walleye and salmon.

Anyone have experience with this unit?

I read good things about HB but cant get back on that horse... lowerance hook2 has some killer clearance now, but I read 50/50 good bad reviews there, not a lot out there on garmin, but what I have seen is pretty positive.

Yeah, I thought so too.... had dealer install it and they even put transom saver too high IMO so it's as low as it goes.

For next one I'm going to buy another saver, trim it, and attach down to lower edge, just to give me more room to play. Was a little surprised when I saw this on pickup, but it still picked up fish, just slow speeds

Your transducer looks way too high on your transom to me. Mine isn’t nearly that high.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

On 8/10/2020 at 4:21 AM, Lightbringer said:

So... i am on year 3 of boat ownership and fishing in general, having some good times but still lots to learn.

When i bought boat new, i had dealer install a (new) Helix 5 DI on boat for me, and its worked pretty well since. Looks a little high for an install to me, but it clears the bunk, and has performed in that position to date.

I've always had trouble with losing bottom above 8-10 mph (probably due to installed height i'd guess), but at trolling speeds its been solid and marks fish and tracks bottom just fine.... until the other day.

While using it on calm water in niagara river just going for a cruise i noticed the depths suddenly stopped tracking appropriately. We were in like 60 feet of water but the FF was either unable to report imaging and depth, or wildly cycling from unknown depth to ~1200 feet and everywhere in between. Stopped marking fish, etc. GPS, nav, temp, etc. completely fine - worked fine all day as well up to that point.

I tried reset to default to no avail. Checked that correct transducer model was entered and it was (even switched to all other selectable transducers just to be safe, no resolution) Reads a steady ~2 ft when turned on in driveway on trailer dry (not sure if that's meaningful though), self test function at start up reports no errors.

I inspected for damage in case something hit it that we didn't see in water, looks good as new, clean, no damage, cracks, or change in position from install (I check regularly to be safe).

Took back out on lake this past saturday, calm as could be, and we ended up just fishing without any sonar (GPS and temp continued to work fine). Tried toggling every setting, checked every connection, no luck.

Not sure if I should be looking at a new transducer or just pack it up and send to factory for eval / repair... of the head unit (or full system)

Everything is out of warranty by now (really frustrating for what these cost)

Anyone have an issue like this?

Thinking I might as well just plan to buy something new and see what mfg says... and if reasonable, repair and sell to pay for replacement.

Interested in thoughts if anyone has them or experiences with humminbird service and warranty.

Thanks for reading this far!20200808_100330.jpeg20200801_204731.jpeg

Had this happen to my Humingbird a few years ago and it was bad transducer.  You could always have someelse with a hummingbird test it on there boat to confirm.

• 2 weeks later...