I"m looking to fish Ontario/Wilson launch sometime this month weather/Cuomo permitting... 

I need some direction on reel sizes and line for riggers

Will Convector 45's with braided steel ( 2 per side ) dypsies be the ticket,,,??

Convector 45's with braid off the boards gtg...??

Going naked, No Snubbers....

Thanks in advance  :smile:

Lots will depend on the particular conditions that day - upwelling could change what the fish demand. In general, if you are used to running divers, then a high-low setup with two per side on wire line is an easy and effective setup, combined with two riggers. Heavy current may impact whether you really want to run that second set of divers though. There's always the possibility of stacking the riggers, and this time of year you can find fish throughout the water column, so it makes some sense. Running copper or leadcore off the boards together with divers can be challenging (the dreaded wire-copper tangle), but is undoubtedly effective - but if the temperature is deep, 400 and 500 coppers require some big boards.

Reels for rigger rods - size 20 or 30 Daiwa or Convector 45 (which you seem to have), with 25 lb test line and a fluorocarbon leader attached via a high quality microswivel. 

There are many options that will work. The best way to learn is to go out with someone who knows what they are doing. If you are only going to fish one day later this month, why not charter? Just a suggestion. If you already have the setups and know what you're doing, then good luck and go get 'em!

Edited by Gator

Lots will depend on the particular conditions that day - upwelling could change what the fish demand. In general, if you are used to running divers, then a high-low setup with two per side on wire line is an easy and effective setup, combined with two riggers. Heavy current may impact whether you really want to run that second set of divers though. There's always the possibility of stacking the riggers, and this time of year you can find fish throughout the water column, so it makes some sense. Running copper or leadcore off the boards together with divers can be challenging (the dreaded wire-copper tangle), but is undoubtedly effective - but if the temperature is deep, 400 and 500 coppers require some big boards.

Reels for rigger rods - size 20 or 30 Daiwa or Convector 45 (which you seem to have), with 25 lb test line and a fluorocarbon leader attached via a high quality microswivel. 

There are many options that will work. The best way to learn is to go out with someone who knows what they are doing. If you are only going to fish one day later this month, why not charter? Just a suggestion. If you already have the setups and know what you're doing, then good luck and go get 'em!

With big kings around 30 pound line and leaders is recommended.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

14 hours ago, Gator said:

Conditions of the day...exactly... Sea state, lake could blow up on your 1 day charter that you scheduled in july for the end of august... I have my own rig, 2.5 hrs from Wilson, careful eye on the weather and we are there for a couple days..

and who doesnt want to put a King in their own boat...:dance::smile:

I will look at running the stack on the riggers, perfect for this time of yr..more lines

Prolly just run shallow stuff off the boards for Steelhead

thanks for the guidance 

2 hours ago, hookedupf7 said:

My 6 rod spread is usually one 10 color lead on board, one 300 copper on other board, 2 riggers , and 2 dipseys. If I can’t run boards I start stacking riggers

I have a couple 45s with 5 color on, can I run snap weights to compensate... Like the set-up tho

15 hours ago, jimski2 said:

Noted...thanks

Edited, I run 30# power pro on my board line rods, braided tho

Edited by SmilinEd1

22 hours ago, jimski2 said:

I understand the thinking around heavy line and rods.  You can do a lot with a big fish with light line and light rods.  It is all about how you play the fish.  Sometimes, you need the stealth a light line and small swivel provide.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, hookedupf7 said:

I believe guys do run snap weights on the lead . I havnt but I am sure with experimentation you could get to where you need to . 

Yep, when we use to run leadcore we would snap the weight where the braid tied onto the leadcore... We havent run LC in several yrs, S**ts out there a mile, turns are a PITA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, skinny420 said:

You can add snap weights to lead. I'm not an expert at it but my charter friend does it all the time. 

1 hour ago, Unsalted Fishing said:

I understand the thinking around heavy line and rods.  You can do a lot with a big fish with light line and light rods.  It is all about how you play the fish.  Sometimes, you need the stealth a light line and small swivel provide.  

Yes and Yes

I have a small (17') boat but I still try to start out with 2 wireline dipseys per side in the summer.  I don't have the high end Okuma reels, I am using Magda Pro 30's with good drags and they seem to work well.  The inner dipseys set to 1 and the outer set to 3.  Then I run 2 rods off the 2 downriggers.  These I did upgrade to Penn GT320's with lever drag, 30lb mono with 20lb fluoro leaders.  If its rough or we need to make tight turns, I pull the second set of dipseys and run 10 color lead off a planer board on one side, and a mono line with a michigan stinger dive bomb off the other

I havent gotten into copper yet, still learning from a friend of mine...  

• Like 2

18 hours ago, SmilinEd1 said:

Conditions of the day...exactly... Sea state, lake could blow up on your 1 day charter that you scheduled in july for the end of august... I have my own rig, 2.5 hrs from Wilson, careful eye on the weather and we are there for a couple days..

and who doesnt want to put a King in their own boat...:dance::smile:

I will look at running the stack on the riggers, perfect for this time of yr..more lines

Prolly just run shallow stuff off the boards for Steelhead

thanks for the guidance 

Roger that! Nothing better than figuring it out for yourself, and it sounds like you know what you're about. Charters are great for newbies, but as you note, subject to M. Nature. Good luck! And a word of caution - if anyone on here asks you to go buffy fishing, just say no.

12 hours ago, 1lastweekend said:

I have a small (17') boat but I still try to start out with 2 wireline dipseys per side in the summer.  I don't have the high end Okuma reels, I am using Magda Pro 30's with good drags and they seem to work well.  The inner dipseys set to 1 and the outer set to 3.  Then I run 2 rods off the 2 downriggers.  These I did upgrade to Penn GT320's with lever drag, 30lb mono with 20lb fluoro leaders.  If its rough or we need to make tight turns, I pull the second set of dipseys and run 10 color lead off a planer board on one side, and a mono line with a michigan stinger dive bomb off the other

I havent gotten into copper yet, still learning from a friend of mine...  

will add the dypsies to the spread and remember the tight turn warning thanks

5 hours ago, Gator said:

Roger that! Nothing better than figuring it out for yourself, and it sounds like you know what you're about. Charters are great for newbies, but as you note, subject to M. Nature. Good luck! And a word of caution - if anyone on here asks you to go buffy fishing, just say no.

I have a group that has been in my ear for a couple yrs about doing a trip to Lake O for salmon, thought Id ask the guys and gals that fish the lake to help our odds, so Thanks to everyone who has responded...!!! probably has helped a few of the lurkers also..

BTW, if you shop on craigslist, stay away from anyone offering imitation crab meat and model trains...:rofl:

tight lines my friend..

• Like 1

15 hours ago, SmilinEd1 said:

will add the dypsies to the spread and remember the tight turn warning thanks

Its easier on the turns if you run flasher/fly on the inboard dipseys instead of spin doctor/fly, but I find the spin doctors motion is a much better attractor for kings than the flashers... Most of the time ;-)