1 hour ago, 1lastweekend said:

Its easier on the turns if you run flasher/fly on the inboard dipseys instead of spin doctor/fly, but I find the spin doctors motion is a much better attractor for kings than the flashers... Most of the time ;-)

Making a list for SDs colors and meat rigs... keeping an eye on the weather for next week, full sun or no sun.. hopefully the wind permits..

I have a couple 45s with 5 color on, can I run snap weights to compensate... Like the set-up tho
Yes.
From experimentation we've caught many fish on a 5 color with 6 oz added at backing, then another 130 to 160 let out. Works when boats nearby have their 300 coppers firing.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 4:13 PM, GAMBLER said:

2 riggers with spoons cheated, 2 divers with ff / fly or meat, 2 coppers with meat.  Simple, Spread out and catches fish!  

Can you explain your 2 coppers -- are those on dipseys?   I've been doing a simple 4 rod set up -- wire dipsey with flasher/flies and downriggers with big paddles and twinkie rigs.  Thought about adding a slider on the riggers to get a few more lines out but haven't had the guts yet.  Curious how those coppers are running

Most day i run 8 rods with no issues not including cheaters off riggers only have 21 ft boat. Usually 2 copper set ups on boards depending on water temp if i go with 300 or 500 . Two dipsy of  each side 1.5 setting and 3.5 than two down riggers can count on my hand how many time i have tangled into copper lines in the last 10 year just make sure ur boards out out far enough and watch your turns

• Like 2

Have an 18.5' boat. Run 8 rods.
300 copper, 400 copper, two size 1 dipsy set on 3, two mag dipsy set on 1, two riggers with 12lb balls. Fixed slider on one rigger. Free slider on other.
Have been pulling the outside dipsys when resetting coppers to avoid tangles.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, ErieBuck said:

Can you explain your 2 coppers -- are those on dipseys?   I've been doing a simple 4 rod set up -- wire dipsey with flasher/flies and downriggers with big paddles and twinkie rigs.  Thought about adding a slider on the riggers to get a few more lines out but haven't had the guts yet.  Curious how those coppers are running

Wire off the dypsies, a shot of copper ( 300 ft ) off the boards.. I think...:thinking:  I have 4 rods set up with 5 color and will add the 5-6oz snap weight run them off the boards.. Thanks Tomb1

On 8/15/2020 at 8:34 AM, ErieBuck said:

No divers on copper.  I have 9 copper rods in different lengths.  I run the coppers that achieve the depths I am working for fish.  

On 8/13/2020 at 5:33 PM, SmilinEd1 said:

Spoons cheated... how long leader...?? 

6 to 8 ft long ... I've used sliders ... just use a snap swivel and connect to the main line. It will fall down about 1/3rd the depth of your main line.

Some used fixed cheaters ... they basically attach an elastic that can snap, so it holds it in place, and they can go a bit deeper then. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 8:34 AM, ErieBuck said:

Copper line is dense, and sinks on it's own ... you get like 20ft per 100ft out .... so lots of guys like 300' to 400' copper.  Of course the terminal tackle (size of paddle, fly/spoon/meat) imposes more or less drag on the line ... so that lifts the line out of the water more or less.

Gotcha, being a Lake Erie guy I’m not familiar with Copper but sounds like the same concept as lead core.  Most people run copper off the big boards?  I have them, just hate running them! 

10 minutes ago, ErieBuck said:

Gotcha, being a Lake Erie guy I’m not familiar with Copper but sounds like the same concept as lead core.  Most people run copper off the big boards?  I have them, just hate running them! 

Yes. Some guys run them off inlines.  I choose not to.  Coppers are not much fun to reel in but they flat out catch fish!  

• Like 2