niagara bar & Canadian License

Can anyone tell me at the Niagara Bar how far west of the green buoy the Canadian line starts?

I have an older gps that has no boundry line on it and Im trying to see if you can fish the bar without a canadian license. I know the green buoy is in US waters but Im wondering how far from it you can go to still be in US waters. Thanks

i would have to say that if you are not sure it would be better to be safe than sorry! i would not risk going to far west w/o a canadian license :no: . i cant say exactly how far from the can the border actually is w/o looking at a gps, but most of the "trench" is in canadian water if my memory serves me correctly. as many who fish this area know it is monitored very closely by the dnr! good luck..... Dave the nameless dolt

Its apretty big area and although im not totaly sure were the border is i think you have plenty of room as long as your not looking for any canadian drifts. i dont know how much a canadian liscence is but i would say save the money.

Looks to me like its too risky not to have one. Ive always had one but now even a conservation license with the outdoor card will run 50 bucks. Do the newer GPS mapping units have the boundry line?

I will probably take some heat for this, but I have been going to Wilson for a couple springs and will not get a Canadien license again. I did the first year, by mail, and it was a waste of money. There was plenty of fish in American waters during the derby to keep us busy. I am sure there will be a year where the fish are still stacked up out west and I may have to go get a license, but I will wait for that to happen.

As for the line, there is plenty of room west of the can to work a program, but actual distance I can't say, I just know I stay well east of the line on the GPS.

There is plenty of room west from the RED can, however there is not fishing the "GREEN can. like gokudl3 says, you should be okay drifting up the east side of the trench but be careful if you are west of the green can as the border is not very far away. better to be safe than sorry as the dnr can get quite agressive checking in that area and wouldn't want to see anyone get ticketed. my two cents! Dave

On more than one of my trips I had to head west into Canadian waters to lock onto the kings. During those times other boats that I was in contact with, who were fishing east of the bar to Olcott had very limited action with kings. For all the expense, planning and anticipation I have for this trip, not getting one isn't even considered. I'll have piece of mind that I can go where the fish are.

Early spring fishing, with all the Lake Erie ice cooled waters flowing from the river, the best fishing is west of Port Dahlousie, where the warmest waters start. The Hamilton Steel Mills are down now, but the 3 million people in the Toronto Metro area warm up those waters fast.

Can you guys tell me what is needed if I do fish the canadian side? I would like to come out of Wilson and drive to the canadian border from the water. What do I need just to fish not to land on the shore? Thanks

Mark

Be advised you may need enhanced ID to return to the USA waters, that is the way it is now. Also do not anchor in Canadian waters, it could bring up problems also. The St. Catherines Game and Fish Club operates a good launch at Port Dahlousie on the East side of the canal. Be advised when you bring your boat into Canada you may need to cleared.

I listened the Customs and Homeland Security guys at a meeting last night. If you go into Canadian waters and expect to return to USA, you will need enhanced security ID for everyone on board your vessel after June 1, 2009. Passports, passport cards, enhanced driver's license, NEXUS card, etc. If your boat is over 30 feet long, you will need a permit. There are so many hoops they want you to jump through, it is almost impossible. Another freedom to travel is gone. Your children over 16 need enhanced security, it is free but you need to take a day off of work, make an appointment, take the kid out of school and be there at their convenience. Children under 16 need a birth certificate only. Even with all the ID, you just can not go home, you have to go to the on camera phone and report in to them and remember an 18 digit number to show you reported in. If you stop in Canadian waters, like to pull up a snag, you fall into this trap. I would suggest that you keep your GPS tracking on to indicate you stayed out of Canadian waters. With all this, you may not have to buy a Canadian fishing license.

Can this be so? If Im fishing the Niagara bar with a CNDN license and I cross the line while drifting the green bouy and I need a Passport or enhanced id to go back to the youngstown launch? This is F*&%* rediculous.

If thats the case, they can keep their license next year and Ill fish US waters only. Theres plenty of water on the US side. BP :(

Yes, it can be true. They are in the process of making it very difficult to go into Canada and back by car. It will be even more difficult to do it correctly by boat, in my opinion.

How serious are they? We will find out.

For my personal pet peeve, drive down Pattonwood Drive in Rochester and count up the cost of inventory in vehicles alone at the Border Patrol Office! Makes me sick. I have been involved in Law and Law Enforcement for 23 years and I can't get anyone to tell me with any certainty what all these Border Patrol vehicles and employees do all day. The most I ever get is that they "assist other law enforcement agencies and help determine backgrounds on aliens." In tough economic times there are 10 $40,000 vehicles sitting in a parking lot. Sorry about the rant...

That's what it's about just kill the working man once again.......I understand laws and stuff to protect but that's just plain stupid, real terroists aren't gonna start from Wilson drive across the border, fish and then drive back to Wilson, come on. Sorry but a little frustrated by this all...... :@