Need help finding salmon outa Olcott or Wilson

This is my second time trolling for salmon, first time couldn’t get a kind. Considering Olcott/ Wilson or Niagara bar. Never fished the bar know nothing about it. Any tips and where fish are and where to go would be greatly appreciated thanks.

• Like 2

I would recommend Olcott or even further East to Oak Harbor.  We fished straight out of Wilson on Monday offshore to the Canadian border.  We picked up 2 Kings (15 & 16 lb) and 4 steelhead between 8 & 11 am.  We fished out of Oak Harbor on Tuesday (My first time fishing that area).  Again we went offshore to 650 FOW and went 3/4 on the Kings and 4 Steelhead.  I believe we could have caught more Kings if the weather would have been better...we only fished for 3.5 hours on Tuesday (and wasted almost an hour as my sons buddy let a bag of chips fly out of the boat so we pulled all the lines and went back to pick it up and then looped around and set-up again.....by the time we did that our fishing trip was almost over)

Regardless of where you should plan to be offshore.  Also, put a variety out and let them choose what they want.  On Monday (Wilson) we caught the Salmon on meat rigs on a 300 copper and 10 color leadcore.  No fish hit any of our divers.  Steelhead were caught on the riggers and copper.  On Tuesday (Oak Orchard) we hooked 3 of the Salmon on a diver with a white flasher fly.  Nothing on the weighted lines.  

Regardless, good luck.  I live in Michigan and have made the trip to Lake Ontario 3 times this year to give you an idea how much better the fishing is in Lake O than Lake Michigan.  Hopefully that changes this weekend as I'm hoping to try Manistee Michigan

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Hacrwj said:

I would recommend Olcott or even further East to Oak Harbor.  We fished straight out of Wilson on Monday offshore to the Canadian border.  We picked up 2 Kings (15 & 16 lb) and 4 steelhead between 8 & 11 am.  We fished out of Oak Harbor on Tuesday (My first time fishing that area).  Again we went offshore to 650 FOW and went 3/4 on the Kings and 4 Steelhead.  I believe we could have caught more Kings if the weather would have been better...we only fished for 3.5 hours on Tuesday (and wasted almost an hour as my sons buddy let a bag of chips fly out of the boat so we pulled all the lines and went back to pick it up and then looped around and set-up again.....by the time we did that our fishing trip was almost over)

Regardless of where you should plan to be offshore.  Also, put a variety out and let them choose what they want.  On Monday (Wilson) we caught the Salmon on meat rigs on a 300 copper and 10 color leadcore.  No fish hit any of our divers.  Steelhead were caught on the riggers and copper.  On Tuesday (Oak Orchard) we hooked 3 of the Salmon on a diver with a white flasher fly.  Nothing on the weighted lines.  

Regardless, good luck.  I live in Michigan and have made the trip to Lake Ontario 3 times this year to give you an idea how much better the fishing is in Lake O than Lake Michigan.  Hopefully that changes this weekend as I'm hoping to try Manistee Michigan

Same boat as you , we usually go to Lake Ontario but with the east winds this weekend we will be in Manistee , also live in Michigan lol

We arrived at Wilson late afternoon Wed. Zero kings and two steelhead. Today (Thurs) 1/3 on kings and two big steelhead. A few undersized steelies and kings too. Most On meat. Zero fish on ff combos. Both days hammered the 450-500 fow as recommended. Buddy went 8-15 at Oak Harbor. Decision to make for a move to the oak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always seem to catch fish out of the Oak. I’ve done well out of Wilson also. But I’ve always caught bigger fish out of the Oak. This time of year fish the marks, temperature is not as important as it is in the spring. We caught several out of temperature 2 weeks ago out of the Oak. The biggest was 25 lbs. meat and paddle on 300 copper was the big fish rod then.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• Like 2