1990 Sea Nymph ss195

SS195

New to me sea nymph ss195 has a rats nest under the dash, can't find any information as to the electrical so I'll ask here. This boat has a key switch on the dash board with about 9 or 10 wires going everywhere. Is this key switch necessary. There is a merc control that also has a key for starting the engine, what is the dashboard key for? thx. Key switch can be seen on the left in pic.

sea nymph16.jpg

In 1990 Sea Nymph was part of the OMC boat group.  So they all came with a factory dashboard and a from the factory Johnson or Evinrude and it sounds like it was repowered by the Merc so chances are that it is now an irrelevant part of 30 years of wiring spaghetti.  And probably means very little at this point.   

Tilt and trim are disconnected so the motor gets lifted, and held up with a 2 x 4. I took the 2 x 4 out last night, leaned against the motor, or transom, wasn't looking, and let go of the motor and tore quite a bit of skin off my right index finger. .went to the hospital and got 11 stitches. Not a good way to start a project.

Edited by SS195

On 8/14/2020 at 12:22 PM, Frogger said:

Ouch. I bet that sucked. Well it can only get better from here on out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

thanks for the positive thinking, hoping it won't get worse. anyone have any information on a remote hydraulic system for a 1975 mercury 850 outboard. this unit is mounted inside the boat. It has one solenoid, and is operated by a three position toggle switch separate from the throttle lever.

About 8 years ago I bought a spectrum 176 and the wiring was horrible so I gutted it and rewired the entire boat, it really wasn't difficult new fuse box and all new wires, pretty proud of myself....

My neighbor bought an 89 Sea Nymph 195 with a 100hp Merc.
Nothing but problems. Wanted to troll with it, that was a joke. Was going to put on a kicker. I suggested that the 2 stroke merc was not to be relied upon to be 7 or so miles offshore. Always missing, hard to start, etc I suggested that he put on a new 4 stroke and forget about the kicker. He bought a new 90 Yamaha V Max four stroke. Fantastic motor, does everything and he never looked back.

Sent from my SM-J737V using Lake Ontario United mobile app