7 Strand Wire line failures

I have had the wire line snap twice now about 30 to 50 feet up from the dipsey. Have good terminal tackle swivel etc at the end that attaches to dipsey, same with the mono to boats and fly or spoon etc.

Its happened both times on big fish, long runs, no slack in the line etc. when retrieved I have those tight curls etc.

im wondering if the board is spinning faster than swivels can handle when the fish runs and it just kinks it, then bye bye.

anybody have this figured out

3 break offs in 2 years . 1 I kind of knew of the kink but I didn't think it was that bad . 

2  broke  when I popped it to change the lure . I didn't do anything extreme . 

It is Mason 7 strand 30# 

I'm back to braid . Never had an issue . And I catch just as many . 

I think some of it comes from whipping it up in the water to knock the fleas off.

Any little kink is to much kink. 

Ive been running 80lb brad spliced about 10ft up from the diver.I connect it with a 30lb test spro barrel swivel.it seems to help.

I also run mason 30lb test.

Just lost a rig last weekend on a good fish in the fingerlakes. Started to put some pressure on them then everything went slack.

First one in a couple years.

Maybe try either Bloodrun 7 strand or Accustrand (Cablestrand Corp). Seems to be problem free after many years of use. I do however cut off curly cues each season and if any observable kinks occur I cut them out (if long section I would put new wire on). I examine the connection frequently. I use a crimp connection and then surround it with hot glue to prevent the wire from moving back in forth in the crimp ends and use the clear type of hot glue so I can see inside it. Never have had a wire failure after many years of use.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 2

What are your reels/drags?  Wonder if you are having drags bind up after a few long runs?  Breaking off 30 to 50 feet up likely not a storage or terminal tie issue. 

I use torpedo wire and have not had even one break off in the five years that this wire has been on my dipsy reels. I do however set my drags not as tight as some people like to do.

ANY kink can lead to a possible wire failure wherever located on the wire. Sometimes there can even be single strand separations that are hard to detect but can lead to failure. The solution is to cut out section if not too much wire affected or put on new wire if long section. Although shortening the wire may affect your line counter the fact that you have 1,00 ft on there to deal with reduces the significance of small amounts of loss.

I'm hard on equipment 

And I'm probably not as diligent at checking it after every fish as I should . . 

So I'm back to  all braid . Used it forever with 0 issues . 

I really don't see the difference .I catch just as many on it .  

This is really another one of those personal preference issues and the bottom line is that you need to have confidence in whatever you decide to use.

All good info, I think I will try a different brand and/or braided

I had brand new Mason snap three or so years ago, I called and they sent me a new spool, it was almost like it was a common occurrence, I should have changed then.

i take great care of my equipment and check the line all the time, time for a change

thanks for the tips

i really just want the f...ing spoon back!

3 dipsys                             50$ 

6 ball bearing swivels          8$

3 flashers ( 2 the exact same white pro troll .)                                    40$

3 of my rigs                priceless

2 snubers                      8$

And 50$ worth of wire  going in the trash. The second Time it happened I said no more but I reconsidered. Then it happened again . So I'm.throwing it out so I won't be tempted . 

No more  

Edited by HB2

I think I remember some time back seeing a 30 lb test wire strength test chart and Mason didn't fare very well compared to some of the others don't remember where I saw it though.

I know with stiffer rods people have problems, I run the old standard yellow eagle claws they are very soft. It seems to take up alot of the shock of hard hits , and head shakes on long runs. Also I run my drags pretty light then as the fish is done with his crazy runs I tighten it alittle to get them to the boat.

Sent from my moto z4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think I remember some time back seeing a 30 lb test wire strength test chart and Mason didn't fare very well compared to some of the others don't remember where I saw it though.

I believe that it was done by the “In Fisherman “people

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have been using the torpedo wire for few years now and I am not nice to my equipment it's been very good to me I have both 7 strand and 19 strand the 19 is more forgiving in my opinion and when the time comes to replace the wire on any of mine it will be with 19 strand

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• Like 1

I have run braid and wire. I actually see the benefits of both, but the negatives of wire outweigh the negatives of braid. So braid it is for my boat. We run 65# PowerPro with 30# mono as backer. I think I put a few hundred of backer on. It works really well. Fleas are fleas no matter what you do, and no twilli tip to mess with.

Sent from my moto z3 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

For my high slide divers I have been using 40 lb Malin 7 strand and I like it. Typically I like Malin 30 lb also but the latest batch was bad. I noticed one of the strands on the 30 lb was not integrated into the other 6 strands and I have been having unraveling issues. I have had good luck with torpedo brand 30 lb 7 strand. I like the torpedo brand 19 strand handling but I have had unraveling issues with it. Right now I am stuck on torpedo 30 and Malin 40. 

• Confused 1