Downrigger Line Snapped!

Ihave both 10 mag and 5 mag st they both have the same notor and both stop the same the omly differene is one is got a 10 mag sticker the other has a 5 mag sticker Internally they are the same

Interesting. I had the mag 10s. From the early 90 era. The 5st’s I bought in 2015. There not the same speed. Can’t say whether motors are as I haven’t hadvthe 5st’s apart.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

23 hours ago, chinook35 said:

Save your money. Snubbers aren’t needed if you set your releases so that the weight stays in the water at all times

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

we are in the wrong business to save money lol.  the snubbers are under $10 and that is great insurance to me. i ran those same cannons and the stops are much more abrupt than other riggers. even if weight stays in water it is still a jolt. not to mention your release is still in the water if you have no snubber between it and the weight

• Like 1

I run the riggers on a 45 degree angle off the back corners of my boat.  When rigging a line, I swivel the boom so its perpendicular (ish) to the boat.  Having the 15lb shark out of the water in rough seas I think caused it to bounce slightly and it snapped.  Perhaps there was a weakness in the line as well, who knows.  Based on all the feedback, I'm going to keep weights in the water, utilize snubbers, and put my release above the snubber which will make it easier to reach

19 minutes ago, ErieBuck said:

I run the riggers on a 45 degree angle off the back corners of my boat.  When rigging a line, I swivel the boom so its perpendicular (ish) to the boat.  Having the 15lb shark out of the water in rough seas I think caused it to bounce slightly and it snapped.  Perhaps there was a weakness in the line as well, who knows.  Based on all the feedback, I'm going to keep weights in the water, utilize snubbers, and put my release above the snubber which will make it easier to reach

I ask becasue if cable coils up on the side of the spool it will create loose loops. On the way down they create a quick free fall action. I've heard of balls snapping off due to this. To remedy use your cannonball hook/eyelet to guide the cable onto the center of the spool. I run 20lb weights in rough water with a 13' beam and have never just snapped off a weight for no reason outside of a free fall or a weak spot in the cable/braid. You shouldn't need snubbers.

1 minute ago, Yankee Troller said:

I ask becasue if cable coils up on the side of the spool it will create loose loops. On the way down they create a quick free fall action. I've heard of balls snapping off due to this. To remedy use your cannonball hook/eyelet to guide the cable onto the center of the spool. I run 20lb weights in rough water with a 13' beam and have never just snapped off a weight for no reason outside of a free fall or a weak spot in the cable/braid. You shouldn't need snubbers.

That’s a very good point, I have noticed line building in the edge of the spool at times and seeing loops.  So how do you use the hook as a guide, not following how they would work.  It’s an open hook and the cable flows through/around it.  Are you just saying a visual guide?  Thanks!

11 minutes ago, ErieBuck said:

That’s a very good point, I have noticed line building in the edge of the spool at times and seeing loops.  So how do you use the hook as a guide, not following how they would work.  It’s an open hook and the cable flows through/around it.  Are you just saying a visual guide?  Thanks!

Set the hook up so the cable has to go through it.I put mine about 3" in front of the downrigger on the boom.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Frogger said:

Next time I’m out I’ll try to take a clip of how abrupt my cannons stop with the snapping action on the cable. They must know it’s an issue as there’s a feature of a “soft stop” on the higher priced Optium.

No need to. I know how abrupt it is on the Mag 5 and 10's. People wanted fast downriggers and this is what we're left with. The OP has Optimum's and they have a soft start/soft stop feature.

4 hours ago, Earl28 said:

Hi Rick. A friend has Optimums and on one the soft stop/start is intermittent. Any idea how to address this issue.

Can't say I've heard of that issue. Has he contacted Cannon?

• Thanks 1

Next time I’m out I’ll try to take a clip of how abrupt my cannons stop with the snapping action on the cable. They must know it’s an issue as there’s a feature of a “soft stop” on the higher priced Optium.

I bought digi trolls purely for the soft stop and ability to slow the down speed. I wish you could also slow the auto up speed too. The speeds are rediculous relative to actual need. I lost a 16# ball due to the cable build up on one side....snapped off letting down. I use the hooks now as mentioned to center and it works but I've noticed the cable starting to etch and cut the hook. Fine and dandy if you replace your riggers annually but i never thought of the hook as a wear part. I was never a scotty fan but aquired a used one and set it as my 3 rd rigger. It took a while to get use to as i like the power down feature of cannons. I like my digitrols to a point but im thinking about a change.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Lake Ontario United mobile app