Seneca Seneca 8/14

We fishermen can change this if we just get involved
one way is to get in the diary program.

Here is the latest diary results from last year. Pretty much indicates what’s been mentioned: Lamprey, bait, natural production and lack of stocking. This isn’t rocket science at this point, kill the eel, get fish back in the lake, close season on lakers nov 1st -dec 31st. I’d be very happy.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/r8adlsene19.pdf

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 2

I will say this... we sure have a lot of knowledgeable people here. Nick is producing and so is Roys Boys. Sk8tman always has great info, a perspective that is top notch! Also a lot of people who have seen lakes go through certain cycles! I love Seneca and will never stop fishing it, caught my first fish there.

On 8/19/2020 at 7:19 PM, Never Ends said:

I will say this... we sure have a lot of knowledgeable people here. Nick is producing and so is Roys Boys. Sk8tman always has great info, a perspective that is top notch! Also a lot of people who have seen lakes go through certain cycles! I love Seneca and will never stop fishing it, caught my first fish there.

The two guys mentioned in this thread are using a product that is helping put fish in the boat.  Ask either of them and they will tell you or stop in Roys marina and you will see them on the wall for sale!  :)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GAMBLER said:

The two guys mentioned in this thread are using a product that is helping put fish in the boat.  Ask either of them and they will tell you or stop in Roys marina and you will see them on the wall for sale!  :)

Soooo... Nick gave me a death trap the week of July 4th and it was just about the ONLY thing that would put fish in the boat.  I just went up to Japs and bought another from Steven this week, which caught a fish the first time I had it in the water!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vicarious said:

Soooo... Nick gave me a death trap the week of July 4th and it was just about the ONLY thing that would put fish in the boat.  I just went up to Japs and bought another from Steven this week, which caught a fish the first time I had it in the water!

:yes:  

Just an update, some may already know or be aware of but just in case, I had received some info from the fisheries group ( Region 8 ) that they were performing larval distribution on the lamprey this week so that they can better define their treatment strategy for the next spray treatment program in 2021.  That's a good thing.  Also they just increased the stocked LT levels back to the 2012 amounts.  That's a better thing.  Same amounts on Atlantics and Rainbows, but didn't hear anything on Browns.  

• Like 4

that is a good update makes me wonder it was a few years back that stocking was reduced and the creel limit was increased all due to increased natural reproduction.  i think that applied across several lakes.  I wonder how much of a contributing factor this was to senecas current status.  i remember talking to a "dec rep" (his words not mine) at the weigh in station during the derby that year and was told they had determined that 60% of the lake trout population was natural. maybe that data was off. Maybe for seneca the bag limit needs a decrese as well?   

that lake even during good times had the ability to humble me in a hurry some days.  I havent fished it at all in a couple years and in many ways miss it.  its the lake that got me back into trout and salmon trolling.  Had a bad derby experience that put me off for a couple years (not entirely fishing releated) starting to get nostolgic and thinking about fishing it again next year.  

12 hours ago, ifishy said:

that is a good update makes me wonder it was a few years back that stocking was reduced and the creel limit was increased all due to increased natural reproduction.  i think that applied across several lakes.  I wonder how much of a contributing factor this was to senecas current status.  i remember talking to a "dec rep" (his words not mine) at the weigh in station during the derby that year and was told they had determined that 60% of the lake trout population was natural. maybe that data was off. Maybe for seneca the bag limit needs a decrese as well?   

that lake even during good times had the ability to humble me in a hurry some days.  I havent fished it at all in a couple years and in many ways miss it.  its the lake that got me back into trout and salmon trolling.  Had a bad derby experience that put me off for a couple years (not entirely fishing releated) starting to get nostolgic and thinking about fishing it again next year.  

By the size of most of the lakers being caught, I would say the lampreys are taking their toll on bigger lakers.  Tons of food and not many big lakers.  With the food in that lake, it should be producing giants.  A 10lb landlock should not win the National Lake Trout derby...….

We need a better lamprey treatment. the treatment we have  now is to sensitive to heavy rain. the heavy rain we had the last couple of springs have set us back. I think we should roll back some of our fishing regulations. 3 trout per day with a slot of 25 inches to 30 inches released back to the lake. 2 fishing rods per man. if we do this we might see a big improvement in 10 years from now. I think Seneca trout can come back thru natural reproduction with some limited stocking. the good old days of 30 fish days are gone. most of us won't see it again during our lifetime. it takes a long time to re build a lake trout fishery. I still remember what the lampreys did to this lake back in the later 60s. the problem today is not as bad. one more problem and its a big problem. this state is broke. we have no moneys trees left to pick money off the trees. if we want more expect to reach into your pocket to pay for it.

10 minutes ago, Ray4852 said:

We need a better lamprey treatment. the treatment we have  now is to sensitive to heavy rain. the heavy rain we had the last couple of springs have set us back. I think we should roll back some of our fishing regulations. 3 trout per day with a slot of 25 inches to 30 inches released back to the lake. 2 fishing rods per man. if we do this we might see a big improvement in 10 years from now. I think Seneca trout can come back thru natural reproduction with some limited stocking. the good old days of 30 fish days are gone. most of us won't see it again during our lifetime. it takes a long time to re build a lake trout fishery. I still remember what the lampreys did to this lake back in the later 60s. the problem today is not as bad. one more problem and its a big problem. this state is broke. we have no moneys trees left to pick money off the trees. if we want more expect to reach into your pocket to pay for it.

If they could get the lamprey issue under control, it will not take as long as you think to rebuild a population of lakers.  They are not as old as most think in our neck of the woods. ( the 34lber we caught out of Lake Ontario was 27 years old).  There is also a decent population of lakers now that would be already in place.  If you were starting from scratch with zero lake trout, it would take a long time.  

Lake Ontario is different  We have Canada helping us out with lamprey control. Those big lake trout you catch out there  Came from the Seneca strain. All the years I have fished Seneca. The dec has done a good job trying to control the lamprey but never really got a good handle on them. The treatment they use  now is old And very expensive.  We have to do something different to control lamprey.  It’s takes money. Our state dollars only go so far.  

I agree Brian, I f they can get the lipsters under control quickly next spring I think we’re only talking about 5-7 yr Hyannis that could put Seneca right back to where we would like to see her. Many boaters are doing ok today. They have been able to wind their way through it and still catch respectable fish. But if you can take those 4-6 yr old fish today and get them through the next few years without having to be chased by a lamprey we would be in a good place. Plus additional stocking will help with maintaining as well. I’m all for shutting down lakers come November to try to help keep breeders swimming. Don’t know how much impact it would have. You don’t see the fall winter boaters out on the hole or pier fisherman like you use to.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app