Can I run braid on the downrigger?

I am thinking that because of my lack of rods the most effective way for me to make my spread is to doublestack my downrigger with 2 lines and a leadcore other side. The reel I would like to use has 30 pound braid on it. My cannonball is 10 pounds and I would typically run a 30-50 foot lead behind the canonball. I have it rigged up with a swivel and a 12 foot lead of 20 pound fluoro. Looking for lake Huron kings but this would apply to Ontario too. Any suggestions to improve not spooking fish?

Sent from my LM-Q620 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

They make downrigger releases specifically for stacking riggers. Not sure why you think you need to switch from cable to braid to be able to stack? If you're running cannon riggers with autostop, you will lose the autostop feature by switching to braid. Why not run a diver instead of stacking riggers? Id recommend sliders/cheaters before I would recommend stacking riggers. 

I mean can I use a reel with braided line to connect to the downrigger with a leader?

They make downrigger releases specifically for stacking riggers. Not sure why you think you need to switch from cable to braid to be able to stack? If you're running cannon riggers with autostop, you will lose the autostop feature by switching to braid. Why not run a diver instead of stacking riggers? Id recommend sliders/cheaters before I would recommend stacking riggers. 

Ok sweet thanks man, how long of a leader of fluoro from your braid to lure? With a swivel or connection knot

I usually do a 25 ft leader of 30# for anything with a flasher, and then a little longer of 20# for spoons. If you have swivels that you can reel in use those but otherwise I use Alberto knot and have never had a problem

2 minutes ago, Auzure said:

This will be my first time running a meat rig I we get one out, any suggestions are appreciated though man!

I wouldn’t go 50 feet with the meat 15 to 25 off the ball should do it . calm water short ruff water longer also if your running a lot of spoons off your riggers even like 4 or more stagger your leads from the ball so it resembles a little school of bait fish and I’ve always had slightly longer leads from deepest rod up with spoons for the simple fact if u have a 15 ‘ bottom lead and three more above it when a king takes that bottom bait and goes to burn out towards the surface the fish is going to run right through all your other baits above where if it’s shorter as u get to your highest bait no matter witch bait takes the strike he can freely peel line and he has already cleared other lines

I usually do a 25 ft leader of 30# for anything with a flasher, and then a little longer of 20# for spoons. If you have swivels that you can reel in use those but otherwise I use Alberto knot and have never had a problem
Alright thanks man, I'm going to try with a swivel for this weekend to start with but if I can't get anything I will take your word I'm starting to trust the Alberto more and more. 3 days of fishing I hope I can have some luck I have about 12 ft of leader on my swivel so I think that should do it but if not I'm making some adjustments.

I wouldn’t go 50 feet with the meat 15 to 25 off the ball should do it . calm water short ruff water longer also if your running a lot of spoons off your riggers even like 4 or more stagger your leads from the ball so it resembles a little school of bait fish and I’ve always had slightly longer leads from deepest rod up with spoons for the simple fact if u have a 15 ‘ bottom lead and three more above it when a king takes that bottom bait and goes to burn out towards the surface the fish is going to run right through all your other baits above where if it’s shorter as u get to your highest bait no matter witch bait takes the strike he can freely peel line and he has already cleared other lines
Ok I will keep that in mind, going to run 2 rods on our 1 rigger than a dipsey more than likely. I am thinking I'll do about 15 ft in between on the cable and one 10 ft further of a leader and I shouldn't see any tangles. Thanks man.

If you have a Roamer or Chamberlin type releases the braid should be ok. You might have trouble with the  clip type. Let me run this by you though. If you have three rods and want to get more baits in the water, run a flutter spoon as a slider  on your existing down rigger rod. A slider is simply a 5ft piece of fluorocarbon line with a snap swivel on each end. after you set your rigger rod as usual, simply attach the flutter to one snap, and the other swivel to your mono  going down to the ball and toss it in the drink. It will slide down to the belly in the line. Now you're running 2 spoons off your original down rigger rod. Now take that rod with the braid and run a Dipsey diver,or similar dive planer off of it. Now you have 4 baits in the water and by using the setting on the diver, you can get it a little bit out to the side and widen your spread. I think this will be more productive, and it shouldn't cost much.  

• Like 2