Wet day out of Braddocks today! Went 4 for 8 or 9? (booo!) One medium king and 3 smaller ones. One double header. The current was crazy, all fish were hooked going E to W - trying to go the other way you had to go like 7mph to get a 2.5 down speed.

30-50' down was the magic temp, everything caught on spoons, FF didn't fire once.

Lost a nice king on the dipsy, it popped the 20# flouro and took my spoon. Tied another swivel on, 5 min later - same thing. At this time I'm thinking my brother is completely incompetent and can't figure out how to fight a fish, so I set the rod and drag, after tying on another spoon (Palomar knot) and 5 min later I hook up, same dipsy, super light drag - fish runs for 75' or so, I feel a head shake or two and then pop. Spoon #3 gone.

I'm beyond irritated at this point and take off the 20# flouro and put 40# on ( all I had above 20 on me) - and at that point didn't get another hookup on the dipsy.

Did manage one more hookup on the remaining downrigger that was working (2nd one shorted out on/off switch) - must have been a small steelie or something, jumped a few times and spit the hook.

Most action was in 150-175 FOW, 40' down.

• Like 2

You’re right about the current. At click speed I had 3.6 going East and .5 going west.

North south or a little angle in between made it pretty easy to control down speed.

Would have sucked without down speed and temp.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I was wondering what all of you were up to just inside of us. We were playing around in the 185-220’. Saw the same current issues. All of our bites were headed west, in a wide range of depths. 45-80’ down on the riggers, 10 color lead cores and 212’ on the dipseys. Had to fight the speed headed back East.

Ended up 6 for 12. I assume all kings. Couldn’t land a good hook set on the bigger fish on the dipsey. Took some drag and slipped the hook.

61931658584__7DBC373E-9744-427E-8A44-A287A5544573.thumb.JPG.c265a3c3e9ab3804198494b78d0b5ea6.JPG

This silver streak did most of the work for us today. Can’t find a replacement anywhere. I think it’s Peppermint Patty? The rest were green and blacks.

• Like 1

Wet day out of Braddocks today! Went 4 for 8 or 9? (booo!) One medium king and 3 smaller ones. One double header. The current was crazy, all fish were hooked going E to W - trying to go the other way you had to go like 7mph to get a 2.5 down speed.
30-50' down was the magic temp, everything caught on spoons, FF didn't fire once.
Lost a nice king on the dipsy, it popped the 20# flouro and took my spoon. Tied another swivel on, 5 min later - same thing. At this time I'm thinking my brother is completely incompetent and can't figure out how to fight a fish, so I set the rod and drag, after tying on another spoon (Palomar knot) and 5 min later I hook up, same dipsy, super light drag - fish runs for 75' or so, I feel a head shake or two and then pop. Spoon #3 gone.
I'm beyond irritated at this point and take off the 20# flouro and put 40# on ( all I had above 20 on me) - and at that point didn't get another hookup on the dipsy.
Did manage one more hookup on the remaining downrigger that was working (2nd one shorted out on/off switch) - must have been a small steelie or something, jumped a few times and spit the hook.
Most action was in 150-175 FOW, 40' down.

I’ve had the same problem with 20# line. I’ve committed that stuff to brown’s and walleye rods. 30# for salmon work.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What a difference in boats, I tried every spoon known to man today and never got a release, we did end up 14 of 16 with all but 2 coming on flasher flys. Had 2 on meat and one good rip

I tried a few different colors and depths on a flasher and couldn’t make them take those.

There was about an hour when it didn’t matter what color or how deep or shallow we were running the stuff. Everything took hits. Makes for a fun little while, but couldn’t find that school again.

45 minutes ago, codybuehler said:

I tried a few different colors and depths on a flasher and couldn’t make them take those.

There was about an hour when it didn’t matter what color or how deep or shallow we were running the stuff. Everything took hits. Makes for a fun little while, but couldn’t find that school again.

It was green glow frog spin dr and white 2face 8” paddle with stud flys that took most of the fish. Best water was 130 early and then the warm water pushed out around 10 or 11 and we got back into them in 190

Edited by fishmaster13184

11 hours ago, Dusty said:

I’ve had the same problem with 20# line. I’ve committed that stuff to brown’s and walleye rods. 30# for salmon work.

Lots of frustration but if fishing was to easy it would be boring 

My old cannon has a switch like yours .

I went out till the rain. Had a nice day fishing not catching 

Lol

3 minutes ago, Gill-T said:

20 lb trilene green XL for spoon leaders, checking for nicks after each fish, and a properly set drag should be all you need. 30 lb for flasher leaders

I thought so too, after the first break off I checked the entire leader, and tied a new knot both times after. And on the 3rd one that I was actually fighting I had the drag set so loose that I couldn't reel anything in, I felt the headshake and pop. I'm chalking it up to a bad stretch of flouro

13 hours ago, codybuehler said:

I was wondering what all of you were up to just inside of us. We were playing around in the 185-220’. Saw the same current issues. All of our bites were headed west, in a wide range of depths. 45-80’ down on the riggers, 10 color lead cores and 212’ on the dipseys. Had to fight the speed headed back East.

Ended up 6 for 12. I assume all kings. Couldn’t land a good hook set on the bigger fish on the dipsey. Took some drag and slipped the hook.

61931658584__7DBC373E-9744-427E-8A44-A287A5544573.thumb.JPG.c265a3c3e9ab3804198494b78d0b5ea6.JPG

This silver streak did most of the work for us today. Can’t find a replacement anywhere. I think it’s Peppermint Patty? The rest were green and blacks.

I've never seen a spoon with that pattern. I run a lot of Apex for kings sizes 4.5 and 5.0, they make a pattern called "popcorn" that's a good producer.

IMG_0939.thumb.JPG.e374e36072693b4088abf90a84aed1a1.JPG

13 hours ago, codybuehler said:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dan M said:

I thought so too, after the first break off I checked the entire leader, and tied a new knot both times after. And on the 3rd one that I was actually fighting I had the drag set so loose that I couldn't reel anything in, I felt the headshake and pop. I'm chalking it up to a bad stretch of flouro

or growing teeth as we getting to that time  in the fish’s lifecycle. 

• Like 1