Trolling motor repair

I have a minnkota terrova 55lb that needs repair. Motor powers up but prop won't spin. Same with remote or foot pedal. Minnkota has Seager Marine in Canadaguia listed as a service center. Called them up and was told that unless I purchased from them they won't look at it. Any body know of anybody in Rochester area who might be able to help?

Thanks

Max

Sent from my LG-H872 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have a minnkota terrova 55lb that needs repair. Motor powers up but prop won't spin. Same with remote or foot pedal. Minnkota has Seager Marine in Canadaguia listed as a service center. Called them up and was told that unless I purchased from them they won't look at it. Any body know of anybody in Rochester area who might be able to help?

Thanks

Max

Sent from my LG-H872 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Can you hear the motor running but the prop doesn’t spin with it? It may just be the pin drive, happened on my terrova 80. Take off the prop nut and prop to see, simple fix in about 5 minutes. I found the part at sportsmans warehouse Henrietta.

IMG_2352.thumb.JPG.40d85e863c60fc7cc139c048b068aaba.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I don't know how handy you are but you can take the prop off and you will see two bolts take them out and the whole armeture will come out. They are long bolts and run the whole length of the lower unit. I  have had many of them get water in them and rust up the magnets. Sometimes the bearing on the end of the shaft gets corrodided. Worth checking out and then sand everything down and clean with electrical spray. Make sure all the o-rings are good. If it's all clean in there then it's an electrical connection somewhere in the system. 

Edited by nysrx01

I have had water get into 3 Min Kota motors . I fixed one myself , the other I brought to South bay which cost me 175$ and did the same thing 2 month later , so I fixed that my self . 

Not hard to fix . 

Pull the prop and carefully take out the 2 long bolts . 

Pull the case apart and if it has water . Spray with WD  And PB blaster . And blow out with compressed air blow gun 

Check the brushes . You can get rebuild kit on line . 

I put some silicone on the O ring before I put it back together . 

Works great . 

It's a very common problem . 

• 2 weeks later...