Waterspout on Lake O

You guys need to come down to the central basin of Erie. Some pucker moments for sure! These were out by the Canadian line...IMG952733.thumb.jpg.cec8fd781be8b83d5ffa41a7bcdff7a1.jpgIMG952726.thumb.jpg.131da374050b28cd82bf16026f1c74e9.jpg

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Oswego yesterday IMG_1397.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United
  • Like 5

In '92, we got "hit" by one when trolling in late August in front of Sandy Creek, Monroe County. We were in a 19'Starcraft Islander. I heard guys off Braddocks on the radio saying..... "there's another spout dropping down off Sandy", but I couldn't see it forming, as we were right under it. In front of us, you could see the wave tops being ripped off the surface by the wind, and the area was maybe 100 feet in diameter. The area was approaching the boat, and I really didn't know what to do, or where to turn..... I mean, whaddaya do? Riggers out. Divers out. You're kinda committed to endure it. The wind went from 15 to 60 mph immediately. Guys hats were blown off, loose "stuff" in the boat blew everywhere. Coats and shirts were just whipped like mad. I gave the boat a little throttle to keep control, and all the riggers popped....And the whipped water went off the back of the boat, and just drifted away...… We looked at each other like WTF was that about! Packed up our "stuff" and called it a day. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Traveling Circus said:

In '92, we got "hit" by one when trolling in late August in front of Sandy Creek, Monroe County. We were in a 19'Starcraft Islander. I heard guys off Braddocks on the radio saying..... "there's another spout dropping down off Sandy", but I couldn't see it forming, as we were right under it. In front of us, you could see the wave tops being ripped off the surface by the wind, and the area was maybe 100 feet in diameter. The area was approaching the boat, and I really didn't know what to do, or where to turn..... I mean, whaddaya do? Riggers out. Divers out. You're kinda committed to endure it. The wind went from 15 to 60 mph immediately. Guys hats were blown off, loose "stuff" in the boat blew everywhere. Coats and shirts were just whipped like mad. I gave the boat a little throttle to keep control, and all the riggers popped....And the whipped water went off the back of the boat, and just drifted away...… We looked at each other like WTF was that about! Packed up our "stuff" and called it a day. 

I know someone who said they got "spun" by something on one of those water spout days back in the late 90's.  180 deg plus boat movement while trolling.... lines in a cluster but otherwise OK as it apparently didn't set hard on them and moved on.    I've only ever seen them on the water as what looked like skinny trees on the horizon....too close even then.  Yikes on your 92 incident!  I give lake O a wide berth on funky days....no thank you.  I've had enough pants pooping moments, I hear water spout in the forecast and i'm at the dock. 

Edited by Fat Trout

My wife sent me the pic this morning of it off facebook.  That is crazy.  Definitely not for me. I’d probly fire the other engine and motor out without pickin up the gear. Lol

7 minutes ago, Hachimo said:

My wife sent me the pic this morning of it off facebook.  That is crazy.  Definitely not for me. I’d probly fire the other engine and motor out without pickin up the gear. Lol

Realized I was double posting.....so edited.  The memory was that crazy lol. 

Edited by Fat Trout

They do get big numbers of them on Erie..... I fished a day south of a "line" of them where we counted 12 spouts on the line. We were afraid to pass through the line to deeper water on the north side.

In the '92 incident, I remember for some time (30 minutes?) before being hit, noticing that we were in a strange wave pattern. Waves were approaching us from directly opposing directions even though the apparent wind was only from one direction..... I'm thinking that the wind approaches those "lines" from opposing directions and rises strongly at the line. Very weird.

Back in the late 80's we were fishing off Sandy Pond in bright sunlight. All day towards the Canadian side there was a front moving NE and watched 8 come down and go out of site. It was something I'll never forget and well worth watching.