Weather Phenomena

On Monday, 17AUG20, I was fishing off Stony Point off the eastern shore of Lake Ontario.  The weather was stormy (it calmed down later and we had a nice day); we looked behind us and saw this!  Take a look!  How would you feel if you saw something like that miles from shore in a 16 foot boat? 

• Like 3

Those things can change direction at any moment and your small boat could become a flying object or wave action could sink your boat. Time to get the hell off the water as soon as those things are seen. They are no joke.

Edited by Sk8man
  • Like 6

I had my little 16' Palm Beach CC a few miles out in Gulf one June a few years back. Saw a funny looking "boat" on water a few hundred yds behind us. My buddy said just keep fishing. A few seconds later, the "boat" (actually the bottom of a water spout that hadn't spun up enough water yet) rose 1500 feet up. (The Weather Channel later confirmed lol). Yelled at my buddy to haul anchor fast! Lmao as he pulled anchor over bow I put the throttle to the console!! Almost threw him over as he went from bow to stern in a second! As we took off single water spout became 3 and you could hear them as they closed! Funniest part was as we were FLYING BY a bigger anchored boat w family fishing, Capt threw his hands up at me like wtf? I just pointed behind us. Was hysterical to watch them all start running around boat to evacuate area LMAO. Got back to dock and house and turned on weather channel to see Bill Kinealy reporting a HUGE water spout spotted just off Hudson Beach Fla. My buddy and I were like WE KNOW!

• Like 1

Wow.  No fish is worth stayin out there to even video it.  My 28ft boat would be full trottle back to port while takin that video.  Hope I never see a waterspout.  No two ways about it, they have to be dangerous if landed on or around your boat big or small. 

• Like 2

Waterspouts are dangerous in that they can change direction and move quite quickly. BUT the wind field in VERY tight, meaning that only 100 yds away you may not even feel a breeze. That being said, again, they can change direction and head right for you lol. They are quite common down south in summer and with warmer water. Up here they are apparently less powerful, but should be avoided while on the water lol. 

21 minutes ago, tuffishooker said:

Is there any record of a boat being hit by one ? one story of 4 people of Kingston Ont. MAY have been hit by one were never seen again ; spouts were in the area !

I just goggled boat bein hit by waterspout. Theres a handfull of videos of 40ish ft boats bein spun right around in a circle 20ish ft   boat flipped upside down and sink.  Definitely nothing to play around with.  I would think they are way to unpredictable to think ur safe watchin from a vessel a ways away.  

• Like 1

13 hours ago, hntnfsh00 said:

Waterspouts are dangerous in that they can change direction and move quite quickly. BUT the wind field in VERY tight, meaning that only 100 yds away you may not even feel a breeze. That being said, again, they can change direction and head right for you lol. They are quite common down south in summer and with warmer water. Up here they are apparently less powerful, but should be avoided while on the water lol. 

The Waterspout was between me and the land actually the Stony Creek boat ramp. So we decided to keep going south at an angle to the wind The winds were moving from the north, so we were going South West. 

• Like 1