Otisco 8-19-20

johnnywalleye

2 hours ago, whaler1 said:

Was out with Justin and Paul this morning. Pretty morning, that storm that came through looked pretty ominous!IMG_1510.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

i thought the eyes would turn on before that storm hit,so i just rode it out

Ok JohnnyW you talked me into it. I’m going to try my luck out there with my 10y/o daughter in the AM.  I was running mostly perch pattern spoons and sticks out there this spring without any luck, I’ll try mixing it up a little this time.

If you use the campground launch I'll be on the dock by 6 am at the latest and off by 7 am.  If you come see me I'll send you out with some stuff that has been productive in the last few trips.  Basically there was no bite today...I did 3 total in almost 9 hours... yesterday I did 11 in 7 hours.  You put down the right stuff adjust by fishing your graph and keep the boat on fish.   There is nothing you can do to make them turn on so you have to troll a viable spread and be patient.  I've had some amazing trips where I didn't get into em till 10 am and every other boat trolling was done and on the dock.  I'll be on the water and you will know if they turn on...I'm guessing it will be a good bite...once the fish realize Bill and Tommy are gone it will turn right on...lol!  They didn't get skunked but they have managed to see me get my butt kicked both times they have come to stay with me....we did hit some real nice smallmouth on nearly every part of the spread at least and ran 10 rods without  any issues so all in all it was a relaxing morning which I desperately needed...thanks for the easy morning Bill!!!  I've fished 21 out of the last 22 shifts and  weather permitting I'll be out 19 of the next 20.  

Fishing with Justin is amazing. Beautiful lake and scenery matched with the best of the best when it comes to tackle and electronics.
Justin is not only incredibly knowledgeable about his fishing, he’s also very passionate about it.
Great person to share a morning with.

• Like 2

Mike it’s awesome. You drive down, stay overnight into an RV by yourselves which is fifty yards from Justin’s boat.
Few beers (more than a couple for me)
Grab some sleep and fresh to fish in the morning.
Justin is obsessed with Otisco and fishing. This is my second trip with him and we will be going back again soon.
Highly recommend.

• Like 2

Justin is a great guy and huge repository of good information and best of all he shares it with others. Many perch/walleye and Tiger folks are closed mouth about things so He is a very valuable resource and highly successful fisherman and guide. Glad you had a good time Bill:smile:

• Like 1

Very true. I’ve never met Justin in person and he has been giving me tips on fishing Otisco since I began kayak fishing 5 years ago.  Now that I have a boat I can’t buy a fish there. Not a typical walleye lake for sure and he has them dialed in.  

Thanks for the kind words guys, but Im just a guy who loves a challenge and as soon as I'm no longer challenged I'm not interested.  This walleye fishery cannot IMO be figured out for more than the short term,  and therefore I'll be here for the rest of my life trying.  Ive had my butt kicked and been skunked here more than any other 10 people put together.  As far summer trolling goes, no lure works every year, no color works every year, no technique works every year.  Every summer I start all over building a viable spread, and every year it's different.  The technique and style I started with, high speed, aggressive reaction bite trolling, hasn't been effective in literally years.  In 8 years here I never had more than 1 maybe 2 leadcore setups and those seldom were even on the boat.  I have 9 on the boat right this minute.  Earlier this season I had 6 braid setups with jets.... currently I have ZERO.  By next week I might be back on copper...I'm always staying, open minded to be versatile and I'm always testing new ideas instead of assuming I have anything figured out.  I'm learning and teaching at the same time every day.   To say I'm dialed in is an overstatement, but I don't get out worked on the water...

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, justtracytrolling said:

I'm always staying, open minded to be versatile and I'm always testing new ideas instead of assuming I have anything figured out.  I'm learning and teaching at the same time every day.   To say I'm dialed in is an overstatement, but I don't get out worked on the water...

This is the attitude and strategy that separates the men from the boys and coupled with patience is the sign of a true fisherperson.:smile:

• Like 1

I guess what I was thinking about Kevin is a lot of folks seem to feel that stuff isn't working  if only given a few minutes and going from one place to another rather than back and forth over fish changing up things trying to get them to hit. "Everything has to be "instant" or it isn't any good or won't work"...that sort of thing.

I guess what I was thinking about Kevin is a lot of folks seem to feel that stuff isn't working  if only given a few minutes and going from one place to another rather than back and forth over fish changing up things trying to get them to hit. "Everything has to be "instant" or it isn't any good or won't work"...that sort of thing.

I hear you. Sometimes you just need to grind it out but confidence in what you’re doing is essential.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app
  • Like 1