Trailer bunk rebuild.

Gill-T

Over the course of a year, I noticed my boat was sitting lower and lower on the trailer on one side. The loading after fishing a couple of weekends ago, I noticed the bad bunk appeared to have a split with the boat listed and resting on the wheel well. This is a three year old Venture trailer. Frustrating. So after a discussion with the Venture service dept, I had some ideas on how to create new bunks. After making many calls to lumber shops and mills, I found hardwood to make solid bunks non-existent. Plan B was to use what materials were available which meant  glue and screw two 12’ sections of pressure treated wood. The technician at Venture did advise that fully covering bunks is cosmetic and promotes rot. So after measuring the angled bevel on the top of bunk, and measuring the height against the brackets, the bunks were fabricated. This was an all day fabrication and a 1/2 hour install. The plan is to let the wood age for a year then stain black. Cleaning duckweed off the bunks is a lot easier without all the carpeting on bunks. I used industrial grade remnant carpet with carpet adhesive + galvanized staples to affix. I was lucky more didn’t happen to the boat while on the trailer with old bunks. The wood rot was crazy. Complete crumbling of wood- almost dust. 

EC608901-454F-440E-B852-A55073B2CDC4.jpeg

27CB82FE-73B3-47A2-95F0-2E870416240C.jpeg

• Like 1