Yankee Troller wins Reelin' for a Cure & 8/22-8/23 Oak Report

8/21 - Today we fished the Reelin' For A Cure event in Niagara country. 30 teams made up of women all fishing for Breast cancer research. If you'd like to donate there is a link at the bottom of this post. A huge thank you to Stephanie Moot-Pierleoni for putting this event on. It's a ton of work, and we appreciate it.

Before we left the dock I saw the wind forecast and it wasn't good. I had an all women team with almost no fishing experience, and no big water experience. Against my better judgement I wanted to go for the win and took them offshore. We lasted about an hour by the time we got set up, and four of them were chumming (Sea Sick/throwing up). In that time we went 1/3 on mature fish. I started feeling bad about my decision and we headed back to the dock. Everyone got off the boat and sat under a gazebo to get their feet back under themselves. Once they all started feeling better they wanted to head back out. I promised them I'd keep them inside where it was calmer. It didn't take long and we were on a Salmon bite in 100-120' of water that's been missing for a few weeks. Between 10:15am and 12pm we went 4/6 on mature Salmon with a Brown Trout, Steelhead, and skipper thrown in.

On the way back to the dock after fishing time expired I thought we totally missed the bite, and anyone inside would have a box. After the scales closed we found ourselves at the top of the leaderboard! So proud of these ladies! We decided to give our Calcutta money and 1st place money back to the cause totalling over $3500.

http://www.reelinforacure.com/

#savethetatas

IMG_20200821_190118_454.jpegIMG_20200821_140831.jpeg

8/22 (morning) - Back to the Oak this morning with a crew from Maine. A long time client brought some guides from Operation ReBoot OutDoors. Their organization takes veterans out on free hunting and fishing trips back in Maine.

We started the day running out to the 31N line and by the time we trolled to the 33N it was all we could do to keep 5 rods in the water. Great mix of mature Salmon, 2yr old Salmon, and Steelhead. The Steelhead meat is really starting to look great! Our Cannon Downriggers from 65-90' down, wires out 180-220', as well as A-Tom-Mik Mfg. 300/400 coppers. Hot spoons this morning were Team Dreamweaver Green Jeans, and a custom FishUSA Dreamweaver called Martel.

IMG_20200822_071623.jpegIMG_20200822_072324.jpeg

8/22 (afternoon) - Cool bunch of people on today's evening trip. One from Niquagra, one from Virgina, one from Washington State, one from Idaho, and two from NY. Our evening trip was a steady pick of Salmon and a few Trout. Set up on the 30N line and didn't have to go far.

Our Cannon Downriggers were best from 65-90' down. They were chewing FishUSA' custom Dreamweaver called Martel as well as a Geezer. A-TOM-MIK Glow Stud's and Bam flies took fish on divers and coppers. Divers ran back 200-250' and coppers were 300/400.

IMG_20200822_164252.jpegIMG_20200822_190452.jpegIMG_20200822_183547.jpeg

8/23 - Another great morning with the guys from Operation ReBoot OutDoors. These guys were great on the rods and fun to bust balls with the last two mornings. There's a great mix of mature Salmon, 2yr old Salmon, and Steelhead offshore right now. Pick your day and get out there for some explosive [emoji476]!

We started at the 30N line this morning, but it didn't get poppin' until we got to the 32N line. We fished 5-6 Miles East of the harbor. FishUSA' custom Dreamweaver called Martel was a stud. We ran it Mupped down 90' on our Cannon Downriggers. Other mentions as the [emoji274] got high were UV Green Tuxedo and Green Jeans in that 65-80' depth. Our wires were going out 170-250 depending on where the thermocline was (it got deeper as we got deeper). A-TOM-MIK Glow Stud and BAM flies took fish behind Dreamweaver Spin Doctors. Only A-TOM-MIK copper to [emoji91] today was a 300 pulling a Geezer spoon.

IMG_20200823_085418.jpegIMG_20200823_080507.jpegIMG_20200823_083128.jpegIMG_20200823_102006.jpegIMG_20200823_100046.jpeg

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Yankee Troller
  • Like 8

Congratulations. Always enjoy your reports. And I tip my hat to you for donating your winnings.  If you don’t mind me asking. How far back do you run your gear behind the downriggers? And what size dipsy’s Do you use #1 or magnum? Thanks

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RandyD said:

Congratulations. Always enjoy your reports. And I tip my hat to you for donating your winnings.  If you don’t mind me asking. How far back do you run your gear behind the downriggers? And what size dipsy’s Do you use #1 or magnum? Thanks

Regular size LJ dipsies, and it varies. I like shorter leads in the morning and on rough days.

Great job Rick and Very respectful of you to donate the winnings back to the cause. It gets expensive  running big boats offshore Multiple times and to donate the winnings shows what kind of fella you are. 
:yes:

• Like 1

That's a classy move, giving back to the cause, and a heck of an example to set. Good for you guys! Your team looks like they enjoyed themselves thoroughly, despite washing their shoes. Puke is pink, right?

• Like 1