Building your own rods

How many of you guys build your own rods? I ordered some items to fix some of my rods. While I was researching I looked over some of the kits and blanks. Man the blanks are not cheep but I can see some advantages. I was on the Mud Hole site.

I can’t buy the blanks as cheap as I can buy an already built quality rod. 

I build every single one of my other rods for every other technique, but I just buy quality trolling rods. 

The only way I could see building a trolling rod is if I wanted a specialty rod like a wire roller rod. 

I started building my own last year it's a hobby I like the customization at this point I am slowly trying to upgrade everything so as long as am going to spend the money i should get exactly what I want and I enjoy the process if you find you like doing it than it's definitely the way to go. Mudhole has one of the more all inclusive selections but there are other options for blanks so many so that you can get lost in searching and researching

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was checking out You Tube last evening. I think I will strip and rebuild some of my dozens of old rods I have kicking around. These guys took junk and made them not only look like new but customized to be fully functional. Everything but the blanks seems cheep to purchase 

8 hours ago, Scalloper 1 said:

I was checking out You Tube last evening. I think I will strip and rebuild some of my dozens of old rods I have kicking around. These guys took junk and made them not only look like new but customized to be fully functional. Everything but the blanks seems cheep to purchase 

thats how i got started to.  did a bunch of repairs and it just grew from there.  i went past cheap very early on but with this sport thats almost a given.

I've built 8-10 rods a year for the past decade, no expert by any means, but enough to echo what's been said above. You won't save money trying to build your own. What you will do is get a rod that's set up exactly how you want. Particularly with bass and walleye rods, where the permutations are infinite. If you're around Rochester and want to get a better sense of the game, give me a shout. I'm happy to show you the ropes.

The downside is that it's tough to figure out the exact characteristics of any blank based on a description, as all manufacturers use their own systems, and a 2 power walleye rod is very different from a 2 power saltwater blank. Even trolling blanks can be a bear. Don't make the mistake of confusing saltwater trolling blanks with Great Lakes. Frankly, I agree 100% that there are lots of good factory rods out there at decent prices, and blank-wise you're looking at an e-glass or composite blank anyway, where sensitivity doesn't matter - it just needs to be able to withstand constant torque.

That having been said, I've stripped and re-wrapped new guides on some of my older Daiwa brown trout rods that I loved back in the day, and they're shiny again. It's a great place to start without breaking the bank.

• Like 1

For reasonably price 7' blanks, Look at the Forecast SPG842, 843 ,844, and 845 blanks.  I use the 842 for spring planer rods down to 6# leader and the 845s make killer salmon rods and copper rods.  Best all-around is the 844.  Suitable for kings and browns, and lots if inline board use for walleye trolling.  I use a set of 843s for rigger rods for browns and walleyes.

We have literally hundreds of satisfied customers using the rods from back in my building days.  They are pretty bulletproof.

• Like 1

Good choice on refinishing old rods! I like to revolver wrap my trolling rod guides anyways, so the rod doesn’t twist in the rod holder. 

look into Revolver wrapping guides. It’s called many other things, Acid wrap is another name for the style.  

I have built about 40 rods in my lifetime 

Many 35 years ago . You could not get good light line steelhead drift rods . 

Now you can get anything you want . 

I keep saying I'm going to do another but I go to the store and can get a decent rod for 1/4 of the price . 

For bass / pike the rods of today are far superior to what use to be .The rod we spent 75$ for back then  We can buy for 20$  

Fly rods have come light years.  you can get a good rod for 100$ 

I feel I'm a good  enough fisherman that I don't need the best . 

In fact I get a lot of satisfaction catching fish on a rod I got off the sale rack for 9$ . 

But I had fun building and still using some . 

• Like 1

Rod building is fun when you have a goal in mind. Are you looking to customize the rod grip, build a rod with a specific balance, design your own guide spacing, or create a rod with an action that you just can't get off the rack? Go for it but take your time and do your research.

As others have pointed out, you'll probably spend more than buying a rod off the rack. But you get exactly what you want/ need. It's custom, after all..

Good luck,

Rick

We all have different results ! The only dud I had HB2 as the first blank recommended by the store owner [ who was in the business of making custom rods ] for 10.5 ft. was way too soft and I did not like it at all for big salmon ! He told my a story of a custom muskie rod that he made for a client who after using I for a year just was not happy with it so the owner liked it so much he bought it back and has been using it ever since ! you cannot please everyone !

As far as the time and money that is a tough call a call we all have to make ! ie. I can go to Metro market and buy Lake Erie walleye for MAYBE $16 a pound or go out on Lake Erie and MAYBE get some at what $ 200 a pound !

I too am using the cheap offshore rods for replacements [ and buying unemployment ] each to his own !

I  could buy the best golf clubs made and  Tiger woods could beat me with  bat and a shovel . 

I have learned my rods ,reels , ,baits ,boats etc are tools to catch fish.  

And cheap tools in a master craftsmans hands will have better results than the best stuff with someone that does not know what they are doing . 

I wanted to build a 10 ft skein rod . Priced it and it was like 190$ went to Dicks  and got a Wright Magill for 50$ and it's perfect . 

And here comes the big BUT.... 

If I had all the time and money in the world , I would give all my rods away and build all new. That would amount to probably 50 rods . 

• Like 1

You mean like the fifty rods I have sitting in my basement and hanging in my garage lol? And 90% of the time, I end up fishing the same couple ones. I don't think I've built a rod for myself in three years - but I've built rods for almost everyone I know. It gets to a point where the differences are too subtle to justify a new build, and as mentioned above, sometimes you run into a dud. Why mess with something that you already love? But i also love to build. So most of my stuff ends up in other folks' hands. It's a good feeling when your buds catch a nice fish on a stick you wrapped for them.

• Like 1

I have repaired numerous rods and built a few rods including a sweet macinaw ice rod for lake trout and walleye jigging.  Very sensitive, strong and attractive.  I built a great ‘green hornet’ custom spinning rod with a walleye decail and rod wraps at the base resembling the Italian flag.  It is a great jigging blank but only wish I had gone a bit longer than the 6’ one I chose.  If I ever have the time and motivation again I will do another in a 7’ model and maybe a light action perch rod.  You will be proud to use it every time out and appreciate every fish you catch with it just a little more.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...